I am a computer technician, not a janitor, or a teacher

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ibmat5170
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Feb 2018, 10:43 am

I have worked for various small computer repair companies, some of which handled businesses. One complaint that has been the same from all of my supervisors, is that the clients complain I don't pick up my messes. An example would be if a customer ordered a new computer, and wanted me to come unbox it and set it up. I would leave the packing material on the floor along with the box and the manuals. Additionally, I would never pull their desk away from the wall to hide any wires, nor would I ever make any attempt at making the wires look "neat" or "organized". You asked me to set up your computer, not be your janitor or interior decorator or furniture mover.
This has been such a point of contention that I have left jobs over it because the boss and I would get into such intense verbal arguments that I couldn't take it.
Also, I really don't like people hovering over me while I work, asking questions about what I am doing. The first reason is, I don't believe my clients have the brain power to properly understand what I am doing, and I really don't feel like dumbing it down to their level. The second reason is it doesn't matter what I am doing, as a client you only need to be concerned with the end result. I am not there to educate you, I am there to perform a task. If you want to learn how to fix computers, take a PC Repair class or watch a YouTube video.
Sometimes clients get upset because I pretend like I do not hear them. I do that because once again, I am not there for small talk. I really dislike it when I am having a challenge with a computer issue and the customer offers suggestions. I am the tech, and I have already thought of the easy way out. If it would work, I'd be doing it. So here I am trying to work on a challenging issue and I have some idiot saying crap like "try a different power cord".
Finally, what has gotten me fired is when someone else, usually a fellow co-worker or technician, is working with me I tell them exactly how to do things. Mostly because I don't trust that anyone can possibly understand anything without my help. So I will walk an experienced tech through attaching cables to the computer like hes done it for the first time and for some reason it annoys him.

All of these things have caused me to quit or get fired from every computer job I ever had and it makes me mad. If only people would understand that I am superior to them in knowledge, not a janitor, or a teacher, or an interior decorator, then things would be fine. I do kind of wonder what kind of computer repair job I can have where i don't have to interact with anyone at all. Maybe just a boss who tells me what the customer "thinks" is a problem (as if customers can think for themselves).

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 12:56 pm

You sound just like I did when I was working. My boss figured out how to make good money with me and have less aggravation. He sent a helper with me. My helper did the cleaning and talked to the clients. I was not allowed to talk directly to the clients. I was a teacher only to my helpers, and they were happy to learn.
Even when I was in the military, my social skills were ignored. Within a month of my first assignment, I was placed in charge of all the technicians in my shop. I had assistants that needed to learn from me. Electronics always came naturally to me, as did personal computers after DOS 2.0 was invented. (I still had to dig foxholes and trenches)

Mr_Miner
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Feb 2018, 6:11 pm

Sorry but I agree with the boss/customer

What you don't feel you need to do is part of your job. Not only the setting up but a clean set up especially in someone else's home. It does not make you a "janitor" I would fire you too.

"superior in knowledge"? No wonder you have issues.

Did some of this work in my day and I am shocked you don't see that you are not finishing the job. People trust you to be the computer guy and to leave the computer and space 100% as it was before besides the computer sitting there.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 5:59 am

ibmat5170 wrote:
I have worked for various small computer repair companies, some of which handled businesses. One complaint that has been the same from all of my supervisors, is that the clients complain I don't pick up my messes. An example would be if a customer ordered a new computer, and wanted me to come unbox it and set it up. I would leave the packing material on the floor along with the box and the manuals. Additionally, I would never pull their desk away from the wall to hide any wires, nor would I ever make any attempt at making the wires look "neat" or "organized". You asked me to set up your computer, not be your janitor or interior decorator or furniture mover.
This has been such a point of contention that I have left jobs over it because the boss and I would get into such intense verbal arguments that I couldn't take it.
Also, I really don't like people hovering over me while I work, asking questions about what I am doing. The first reason is, I don't believe my clients have the brain power to properly understand what I am doing, and I really don't feel like dumbing it down to their level. The second reason is it doesn't matter what I am doing, as a client you only need to be concerned with the end result. I am not there to educate you, I am there to perform a task. If you want to learn how to fix computers, take a PC Repair class or watch a YouTube video.
Sometimes clients get upset because I pretend like I do not hear them. I do that because once again, I am not there for small talk. I really dislike it when I am having a challenge with a computer issue and the customer offers suggestions. I am the tech, and I have already thought of the easy way out. If it would work, I'd be doing it. So here I am trying to work on a challenging issue and I have some idiot saying crap like "try a different power cord".
Finally, what has gotten me fired is when someone else, usually a fellow co-worker or technician, is working with me I tell them exactly how to do things. Mostly because I don't trust that anyone can possibly understand anything without my help. So I will walk an experienced tech through attaching cables to the computer like hes done it for the first time and for some reason it annoys him.

All of these things have caused me to quit or get fired from every computer job I ever had and it makes me mad. If only people would understand that I am superior to them in knowledge, not a janitor, or a teacher, or an interior decorator, then things would be fine. I do kind of wonder what kind of computer repair job I can have where i don't have to interact with anyone at all. Maybe just a boss who tells me what the customer "thinks" is a problem (as if customers can think for themselves).

Well sir, I can set up their computer, hide the wires, dispose of the packaging...in the trash if they wish, or placed to the side if they wish (some people like to keep packaging), and happily answer their questions while I'm working, even if I have to explain it in a way that someone without any background in technology would understand, so the question is, if we were both applying for the same job, why should they hire you over me?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 10:21 am

It really is the ethical, professional thing to do....leaving the work area as you found it, being a good person in general.

Why not be a nice guy????

Maybe this person with “inferior” knowledge will save you from drowning, or from a street bully.

Going “above and beyond” will also help you make more money.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 2:14 pm

Quote:

Well could the reason be that they are an experienced tech and they don't appreciate being treated as if this is their first time doing the job? I mean how would you like it if your co-worker condescendingly treated you like it was your first time, regardless of your experience and the fact you've been doing this job a while? You probably wouldn't so think about that.

Kind of seems like you might need to get over yourself a bit, you're probably not as superior to everyone as you think. I doubt it is true that no one can possibly understand anything without your help.

Either that or you need to seek out a tech position that does not involve dealing with customers...but not sure that kind of position is available where you work.

ibmat5170

16 Feb 2018, 6:25 pm

Chronos wrote:
ibmat5170 wrote:

Well sir, I can set up their computer, hide the wires, dispose of the packaging...in the trash if they wish, or placed to the side if they wish (some people like to keep packaging), and happily answer their questions while I'm working, even if I have to explain it in a way that someone without any background in technology would understand, so the question is, if we were both applying for the same job, why should they hire you over me?

I wouldn't expect to be hired over you. But the fact of the matter is I have a disability that causes the behavioral traits I described in my original post and they cannot discriminate against me for it.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 7:01 pm

ibmat5170 wrote:
Chronos wrote:
ibmat5170 wrote:

I wouldn't expect to be hired over you. But the fact of the matter is I have a disability that causes the behavioral traits I described in my original post and they cannot discriminate against me for it.

Which behavioral traits do you have that are protected by law in your country?

In the US there are protections for physical and mental handicaps, but I don't think those protections apply to instances of people refusing to do their job.

The one thing that everyone needs to learn is that when you go to work for a company, that company will have its own culture. It is your job to adapt to the culture of the workspace, not the company to adapt to you. If you want to be a success, you need to either adapt to their culture or find another job with a culture that you can adapt to. Don't expect everyone to bend over backwards for you.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 7:05 pm

ibmat5170 wrote:
Chronos wrote:
ibmat5170 wrote:

How does your disability prevent you picking up your mess, and neatly arranging the wires behind the desk? I suppose if your disability prevents this they should provide accommodation.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 7:23 pm

Quote:
But the fact of the matter is I have a disability that causes the behavioral traits I described in my original post and they cannot discriminate against me for it.

Nope, nope, nope. This is a non-starter, don't go there.

Your employer will simply point out that the job requirements for your position include cleaning up your own mess, and that if you refuse to do this, whatever the origin of your refusal, you are not meeting their basic job requirements.

Reasonable accommodation does not mean waiving basic job requirements. And insisting that they be met is not discriminatory. You won't have a case. Your employer will have extensive documentation, including customer complaints, with which to prove that you (a) know the requirement and (b) refuse to comply with it.

Just to note: a bunch of Aspies are disagreeing with you here. In light of that, you really do need to consider our feedback.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 7:36 pm

Come on, man. Just clean it up. And teach somebody who wants to learn.

You'll be much better for it. Trust me.

Plumbers make messes.....and they clean them up. Probably even Aspie plumbers.

It's just the ethical thing to do (aren't Aspies supposed to have ethics above and beyond NT's?)

Don't get stuck in a diagnostic description. They only apply to a sort of a "sample person," not to real people.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 8:53 pm

ibmat5170 wrote:
Chronos wrote:
ibmat5170 wrote:

Is the disability you are speaking of the ASD? Because I happen to have the very same thing. Even non verbal individuals on the lower end of the spectrum often manage to learn to throw trash away.

In the United States, employers are required to make reasonable accommodations. Typically this means that they can decline to hire a person for a job if the person's disability is such that it causes them to lack the abilities required for the job and the employer cannot reasonably accommodate to rectify that. For example, if you are blind and epileptic you are probably not going to get a job as a professional driver.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 12:35 am

This afternoon, we were install internet at someone's house several miles out of town where cell phone service is poor. The homeowner asked if we know who he could hire to install a cell phone booster on the roof and run the cable into the house.

We installed if for him -- no extra charge.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:08 am

Thanks for increasing good vibes.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 12:10 pm

I think both sides can meet halfway a little. If trash is an issue, the customer could make a container available right next to the work area. I mean how hard is it to toss trash like packaging wrappers if a box is right next to you.

The chit chat or bugging the tech is a grey area. I think a customer can ask concise important questions, but really shouldn't 'Shoulder Surf' the tech bugging them and dividing their attention. I used to know a guy that owned at PC Repair shop and customers would but him with endless questions or conversation. He did talk to them out of politeness, but they cost him time while he was trying to catch up on other customer repairs.

As for tidying up, I would prefer a fresh installation of equipment didn't become damaged as soon as someone tripped over a power cable or network cable causing something to unhook or yanking a flat screen to the floor requiring a call back to the site or to a competitor to fix something.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 4:52 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
I think both sides can meet halfway a little. If trash is an issue, the customer could make a container available right next to the work area. I mean how hard is it to toss trash like packaging wrappers if a box is right next to you.

The chit chat or bugging the tech is a grey area. I think a customer can ask concise important questions, but really shouldn't 'Shoulder Surf' the tech bugging them and dividing their attention. I used to know a guy that owned at PC Repair shop and customers would but him with endless questions or conversation. He did talk to them out of politeness, but they cost him time while he was trying to catch up on other customer repairs.

As for tidying up, I would prefer a fresh installation of equipment didn't become damaged as soon as someone tripped over a power cable or network cable causing something to unhook or yanking a flat screen to the floor requiring a call back to the site or to a competitor to fix something.

When paying for an installation service, either explicitly or implicitly, customers typically expect their home or office or other applicable environment to be left much as it was before the technician rendered the service, with the exception of the presence of that which was rendered. The idea of paying for these services is that the customer doesn't have to do the work.