Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 2:50 pm

Well I have found a couple jobs on craigslist which look like potential employment. So I have responded to the postings by email and included my resume(that is pretty short and only has one past job listed, as I have only had one job in the past 5 years). But yeah I just really dislike the feeling of waiting to hear back from these things...trying to look at it as I probably wont hear back so I can be pleasantly surprised if I do. But kind of hard do do that when I keep getting that anticipation feeling.

Does anyone else find that to be a difficult part of applying for jobs?

I also realize the more you respond to the better, but I have to be a little bit selective with my lack of experience and disability. Basically I am limited to entry level and things that don't involve a lot of social skills...

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 13 Feb 2018, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 2:53 pm

Try to apply for many more jobs. I wouldn't count on receiving an answer from any of them. It's not because you're not qualified. It's because there are so many applicants.

A better resource might be "Indeed.com." I find it much more reputable than Craigslist. There's more risk involved with dealing with Craigslist, in my opinion.

When I tried to get a second job very recently, I applied to over 100 positions; I only go some sort of answer from about five. Maybe it was because I already had a first job; maybe it wasn't. I don't know. Or it could have been my age: 56 at the time.

You might have a better chance with retail or fast food jobs, though. They always need someone at Walmart or McDonald's. Costco would be much better.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 3:06 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Try to apply for many more jobs. I wouldn't count on receiving an answer from any of them.

A better resource might be "Indeed.com." I find it much more reputable than Craigslist. There's more risk involved with dealing with Craigslist, in my opinion.

When I tried to get a second job very recently, I applied to over 100 positions; I only go some sort of answer from about five. Maybe it was because I already had a first job; maybe it wasn't. I don't know. Or it could have been my age: 56 at the time.

You might have a better chance with retail or fast food jobs, though. They always need someone at Walmart or McDonald's. Costco would be much better.

I have tried Indeed before but haven't had much luck, might give it another shot though. But with that one it seems more focused on professional career positions that require multiple qualifications I don't have and doesn't seem to have a lot of entry level listings.

As for the risk of Craigslist, I think I have become fairly good at identifying false/scam type things. Also I usually look up the place on the web to make sure its legitimate to before actually responding. If I find the posting at all suspicious I don't bother...like if its too good to be true, or too vague.

Costco might be a place to try, I would imagine they have some positions outside of cashier...like shelf stocking or something. Also though I wonder if you work there does that make you a member to shop there, or would I still have to purchase the membership card?

As for Wal-mart or Mcdonalds, there is no way....I can hardly stand to be in wal-mart long enough to get shopping done let alone working there that place always causes me to have sensory overload which would certainly interfere with my productiveness. As for Mcdonalds or any fast-food like that, I think it is too fast paced I've seen how that goes and I think I'd have a constant panic attacks if I worked there, far too chaotic, and also I hate the smell. Closest to that I can see myself doing is working at a place like Little Ceasers, even though it is more hectic at busy times, those places usually seem a little laid back and like you get time to breath.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 8:05 pm

One of the new entry level jobs I think would be good for ASD is grocery store shopper. I go in for groceries and see store employees wandering the aisles with special carts, collecting items for curbside deliveries. They look content. Do grocery stores near you have that service?

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 1:23 pm

Yeah, I hated that part, too. Especially when I thought the interview went great and I don't even get a "We're going with another candidate". I guess they're pretty tied up while hiring, but it still sucks.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 4:29 pm

Yeah this is awful. I'm trying to be more determined though, using indeed.com and also searching individual websites, I found three jobs within 30 miles that actually use my skill set today, despite the fact all three are just seasonal, it's a start though and even adding another, more recent seasonal to my resume would look good.

Indeed.com is really good, also target buisnesses in your area you think would post jobs you would be eligible for and check their websites everyday. But supposedly direct contacts and asking around lands most jobs (I try that though and everyone ignores me so I'm stuck looking online)

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 7:04 am

^well it looks like if I really was serious about getting a job at costco...I'd have to stop smoking weed for a month to pass a drug test. Which that is not so out of reach....I'd just have to get some valerian root and brew it up into tea and drink some of that on a daily basis...it works kind of like valium which I was taking for anxiety for a time, but its all natural and you can just get it at the local vitamin cottage. The trick is you just have to know how to brew it...you have to simmer it before you steep it to get the full effect....of course it tastes kind of like vinegar and mushrooms some people say it smells like stinky feet, so you can either down it real quick or mix it in something else with a strong flavor so you can't taste it. Or if you are like me you'd like the taste, its a strong bitter taste not too far from something like yerba mate, my boyfriend hates the stuff and thinks it tastes horrible but I really like how it gives a bit more balanced energy boost than a regular caffeine drink.

But yeah I use cannabis to help anxiety, so if I was to go without I'd need a replacement.

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 8:30 am

There are so many jobs in the cannabis industry on Craigslist in Colorado. Gardening assistants, bud processors, manufacturing and packaging all the various extracts and products, all kinds of non-social well paid legal jobs. I know you've rejected the possibility before, but it has become very respectable in the last few years.

IanDLBZF
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Feb 2018, 12:10 am

Same here, I have applied before, only to never hear back or to have a reply stating that I was not considered. Speaking of that my experience is severely limited to only three volunteer jobs, at least one of them had little-to-no relationship to the IT Industry whatsoever. I am still stuck in the water, and I am graduating with a BS in Computer Information Systems in May.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 9:25 pm

My viewpoint is that I have only gotten replies 3 months or so later because i was supposedly on their books because they might have liked my CV as it had keywords they were looking for, the last one was like October last year for a job I applied for in summer, a cleaning job for a company that subcontracts for a larger corporation. The corporation being a supermarket which I have a history of rejections from, again rejected me because I was to be working in one of their shops but wasn't directly hired by them but instead a subsidiary that they hire cleaners from.

That's the dilemma i face in most jobs in my area, i try to apply for a menial entry-level job that's well within my capabilities, usually handled by an obscure company or agency, but is subcontracted by a large well known business that strives for perfection in their employees. I don't fit the criteria that the business looks for in an employee, such as lacking interpersonal skills, not well presented (scruffy beard/hair, crooked teeth, saggy eyelids, can't put on a fake smile), social anxiety, lack integrity and executive function.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 12:58 pm

I just applie to a position I really like today and they sent me an email back saying "we'll tell you if we want an interview around March 12th" *twidles thumbs for about three weeks*

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 1:09 pm

What sort of position is this, Angnix?

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 1:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
What sort of position is this, Angnix?

Environmental education, animal care, weeding invasive plants, stuff up my alley. It's only for the summer but it's Americorps so that means if I don't loose my disability money and get a stipend. It's close to where I live.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 2:25 pm

I hope you get it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 2:27 pm

arielhawksquill wrote:
There are so many jobs in the cannabis industry on Craigslist in Colorado. Gardening assistants, bud processors, manufacturing and packaging all the various extracts and products, all kinds of non-social well paid legal jobs. I know you've rejected the possibility before, but it has become very respectable in the last few years.

The only reason I haven't looked so much into that is because the license to do it costs a bit of money, but it is certainly a growing field so it might be worth it to get that license.