Never been chosen for a job above other candidates

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Lawrence
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Feb 2018, 7:56 am

It seems that any job I've got have been ones where they were hiring everyone. I don't think I've ever been chosen instead of another candidate. I've worked in several low paid positions but this has always been the case. My problem is answering questions in a freestyle way. All my answers are scripted otherwise I can't come up with anuthing. Has anyone gone through anything similar?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 8:12 am

Lawrence wrote:
It seems that any job I've got have been ones where they were hiring everyone. I don't think I've ever been chosen instead of another candidate. I've worked in several low paid positions but this has always been the case. My problem is answering questions in a freestyle way. All my answers are scripted otherwise I can't come up with anuthing. Has anyone gone through anything similar?

That was my career life. Scripting for interviews, yep. While I had many entry-level jobs which worked out well for me, I had some very executive and managerial jobs which didn't work so well in the long run.

Take it from someone of my age; find a job you like and can do well. The rest will take care of itself.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2018, 5:17 am

I'm like you. I think I've only been selected for a job over other candidates one time because I did surprisingly well at the interview, but ironically, I didn't take that job because the pay was even less than I was making at my then-current job (although the benefits were better, which did make me consider it...).

I have degrees (albeit not in the most practical fields), but I can only get jobs where only a high school degree/GED is necessary.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 8:19 am

LookWhoItIs wrote:
I have degrees (albeit not in the most practical fields), but I can only get jobs where only a high school degree/GED is necessary.

I know the feeling. I have one University Degree in Business, two College Diplomas and too many other Certificates to list in my field and I STILL work at a work that only requires a GED! All I can do it keep plugging away with the understanding that the people in my industry aren't getting any younger (average age late 50s).

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 9:42 am

Same here. I actually only ever had one time that I even got a preliminary interview, which I promptly failed because I have a tremor that made me look much more nervous than I actually was. The only job I've ever had didn't have an interview, and they were clearly desperate for workers. Otherwise, I just don't hear back from places I apply to.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Hooraydiation
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Feb 2018, 10:34 am

I don't think only having scripted responses to job interview questions is so bad, as long as you're willing to develop your script more.

Before an interview, I always research the position and the organization in advance. That way, when they ask me if I have any questions about the role, I have a couple informed questions at the ready that the average person wouldn't know to ask.

And the truth is that the interviewer's side of the discussion is scripted as well. Generally Human Resources provides them with a strict template, which really doesn't vary that much from one job to the next. I'd recommend googling around for typical interview questions, then practicing in advance with them. It's much harder to be caught off-guard that way.