Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2018, 7:17 pm

I am a guy who loves being creative, loves writing, does best when I have a set routine, and has no college degree and no money or time to change that. I can do physical labor, but am happier in an office. I do best in quiet environments the farther away I am from other people, the better, usually. My current job is okay, but it's way too random for me to really be comfortable. My last job was taking customer service calls, and that stressed me out to the point of being sick. Before that, I did lawn care, and having to drive to a different unfamiliar city every day, and having to work with already broken equipment, was almost worse than taking calls. So I'd prefer to avoid things like that in the future.

Based on all this, can anyone list some possible jobs that might suit me well? I make $15.50/hr right now, so I would need to make at least that much in whatever you suggest. Thanks!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2018, 7:55 pm

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
I am a guy who loves being creative, loves writing, does best when I have a set routine, and has no college degree and no money or time to change that. I can do physical labor, but am happier in an office. I do best in quiet environments the farther away I am from other people, the better, usually. My current job is okay, but it's way too random for me to really be comfortable. My last job was taking customer service calls, and that stressed me out to the point of being sick. Before that, I did lawn care, and having to drive to a different unfamiliar city every day, and having to work with already broken equipment, was almost worse than taking calls. So I'd prefer to avoid things like that in the future. Based on all this, can anyone list some possible jobs that might suit me well? ...
No. You have three strikes against you: Anthropophobia, No College Degree, and Need for Routine. Throw in Asperger's Syndrome (or whatever you want to call it), and there is little hope for you.

You would likely feel insulted by any suggestions that would be a good fit for your requirements and lack of marketable skills.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 8:58 am

I would keep the present job if I were you. If you find it "okay," that's far better than most people find their jobs.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 9:34 am

Yes, keep your job. "Okay" is pretty good for your circumstances.

I have a great job in my special interest, but I graduated with honors from very good schools and had to move all the way across the country.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 9:07 pm

As others have already said, if you have a tolerable job, then hang onto it.

That said, you might want to explore options through Vocational Rehabilitation. This is a free service and can provide career counseling, training, funding for some types of training, for people with disabilities. If you have autism, you should qualify. BR is tricky to work with, but if you persevere, you can get some useful information and sometimes useful services out of them.

With some minimal training, you could be, for example, a medical coder. You sit at a computer all day and input the medical codes for medical treatments, visits, etc. There are technical schools that can train you and there is financial aid available. It's not like college, more like high school. You would have to be able to work and go to school at the same time, but the time frame is very short for some of these technical jobs, some are just one year.

Without extra training, you could stock shelves in a grocery store at night. No customers and few others working. Same would go for a small hospital, janitorial. Anything at night has fewer people, less going on, and usually has a shift differential. But I don't think you would make as much hourly as you are making now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 9:14 pm

That’s not dissimilar to what I do.

I’ve been doing data input for the past 38 years.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 9:25 pm

blazingstar wrote:
That said, you might want to explore options through Vocational Rehabilitation. This is a free service and can provide career counseling, training, funding for some types of training, for people with disabilities.

I did voc rehab for fifteen months. Learned how to run a print shop and graduated top of my class. Didn't matter, because all the equipment they trained us on has been obsolete since before I was born, so the job I got in that field fired me after one week. Also found out that being in a print shop is the most mind numbingly boring job I can imagine.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 9:31 pm

what's random about your job?

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 9:34 pm

i have very little experience with work and maybe i'm just only too negative, but i feel unless you are an entrepreneur (which requires a lot of social skills) working with things you like and creativity is very frustrating. i would definitely prefer a more neutral, random type of job where you can feel clearly detached from it.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 9:42 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:

I do fraud prevention. When you order something off our website, there are certain things that might make the website think the order is suspicious, so it gets sent to us. We investigate the order and the customer and try to decide whether to release or cancel it. Releasing a bad order counts against our weekly score, and so does canceling a good order. We're not allowed anything less than 98.5% accuracy. But a lot of the time it's like flipping a coin. A really bad looking order can be good, and a really good looking order can be bad. We have guidelines we're supposed to use to figure it out, but all we're really able to do is guess. Guessing wrong too many times will eventually get you fired.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 9:44 pm

ThisAdamGuy wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

I do fraud prevention. When you order something off our website, there are certain things that might make the website think the order is suspicious, so it gets sent to us. We investigate the order and the customer and try to decide whether to release or cancel it. Releasing a bad order counts against our weekly score, and so does canceling a good order. We're not allowed anything less than 98.5% accuracy. But a lot of the time it's like flipping a coin. A really bad looking order can be good, and a really good looking order can be bad. We have guidelines we're supposed to use to figure it out, but all we're really able to do is guess. Guessing wrong too many times will eventually get you fired.

it sounds quite unstable, i can understand why you are interested in thinking about something else.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 9:51 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
ThisAdamGuy wrote:
ltcvnzl wrote:

it sounds quite unstable, i can understand why you are interested in thinking about something else.

Like I said, it's better than both the call center and the lawn care place. I don't hate it at all, and I actually like a lot of the people I work with. But I always have the feeling that eventually I'll get one order wrong too many, get the boot, and not be able to find a new job, become homeless, etc.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 9:55 pm

can't you manage to save a little while working to study something? it could work as building up a back up plan

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 9:59 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
can't you manage to save a little while working to study something? it could work as building up a back up plan

Maybe eventually, but I just moved a couple months ago, and then a ton of things all happened at once (dog got sick multiple times, I got sick, car needed repair, etc) so all that plus rent and bills means I've barely been scraping by. Hopefully I'll be able to stop bleeding money now, but my new house still needs a couple things, so saving isn't going to happen just yet.

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Jul 2018, 12:56 am

No college degree and making $15.50/hr.? Sign me up!

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2018, 3:08 pm

LookWhoItIs wrote:
No college degree and making $15.50/hr.? Sign me up!

Like I said, this job is practically set on a timer. You just don't know how long the timer is set for. It's all so random and chance based that eventually everyone here is going to be fired as soon as they go over the limit one time too many.