Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2009, 10:04 pm

Aspiritech.org
Software Testing Leveraging the Power of Asperger's Syndrome

Organization Overview

Aspiritech is a non-profit organization in metropolitan Chicago which provides employment opportunities to individuals with Asperger's syndrome.

Our mission is to solve the employment problem of individuals with Asperger's syndrome. (There is no official data on this issue, but most experts in this field agree that their unemployment rate is as high as 85% which translates into 40,000 jobless people with autism in the Chicago metropolitan area alone.)

Aspiritech is an innovative solution for a business problem and a social, family and individual problem. Aspiritech is designed to tap into the unique competencies of people with Asperger's syndrome to provide competitively-priced testing services to area software development companies. This is done by training and providing support to mitigate the workplace challenges of the testers with autism. Our major services include functional, compatibility, performance and conformance testing.

more...

- Emerson

Slumberwatcher
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Dec 2009, 4:40 am

I read about it on Slashdot.

It sounds like a great idea. :) And they probably don't have all the meetings and social events that I dislike so much at my current workplace.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2009, 1:23 pm

That's a great idea, and one that is needed all over, as so many of us are underemployed.

Adventus
Toucan
Toucan

10 Dec 2009, 4:56 pm

I don't like their association with Autism Speaks in this quote from their Status page:

Quote:
Brenda and Hong were proud to work along with 1000 other stakeholders at 16 sites across the US to create a policy agenda for addressing the needs of adults with autism. Hong also had the opportunity to briefly introduce the participants to the work of Aspiritech and we were able to touch base with Lisa Goring and Peter Bell of Autism Speaks. You can check out the remarks of Lisa Goring, Peter Bell and Mayor and Mrs. Richard Daley at the Autism Speaks website: http://www.autismspeaks.org/inthenews/a ... n_hall.php.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2009, 5:03 pm

Guilt by association?

Autism Speaks used to not even acknowledge the existance of speaking, autistic adults, much less the idea that we have continuing needs which can and should be addressed. They are an evolving organization.

- Emerson

BonoSnark
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Dec 2009, 6:56 am

Realy, I'd like to work at such workplace. :D
well, as a tester!

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 12:20 pm

Sounds a bit sketch to me. My primary concern is wage / benefits / security. It sounds like a lot of outsourcing, contracting and spec style propositions.

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 11:55 pm

Is the company run by aspie's or not?

Treehugger
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jun 2010, 3:07 pm

TheHaywire wrote:
Is the company run by aspie's or not?
Good Point, Iam wondering the Same.Took a 'Personal Profile' Questioner and the people reccomended this Place, Disadvantages,this is far north of here,second Is this Company Run by Aspies, or at least Bosses who Do Not try Forcing One to go to Company 'Holiday parties',and working in a Fast,hurried manner? I need a back door work plan,if I do not 'Pass' the Personality tests that will be required of me in the near future,but do not want to work under 'Bosses' who think I am a 'Lazy hermit.' :?: