I've been unemployed for 3 years. Anyone beat that?

Page 2 of 9 [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

FadeAway
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2011, 5:10 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
How would capitalism be our savior? I think capitalism is more of a problem. lol

It's the current implementation that is the problem, not necessarily capitalism itself. For example, there is a lot of favoritism going on, money is moving from A to B not because B provided actual value but because of social structure, distribution of power and personal greed. (this is oversimplified of course, but is fairly close to reality)

I just read this article about management consulting and believe that it describes some of the core problems we have nowadays. (as a society, but of course it's especially problematic for people with AS) But this is not inherent in capitalism itself.

Not sure whether I would call capitalism a saviour though.

Dark_Lord_2008
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Aug 2011, 6:28 am

FadeAway wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
How would capitalism be our savior? I think capitalism is more of a problem. lol

It's the current implementation that is the problem, not necessarily capitalism itself. For example, there is a lot of favoritism going on, money is moving from A to B not because B provided actual value but because of social structure, distribution of power and personal greed. (this is oversimplified of course, but is fairly close to reality)

I just read this article about management consulting and believe that it describes some of the core problems we have nowadays. (as a society, but of course it's especially problematic for people with AS) But this is not inherent in capitalism itself.

Not sure whether I would call capitalism a saviour though.

Capitalism requires unemployment to be within 5% to 10% to ensure inflation is not out of control. Unemployment under 5% has an inflationary effect upon economy and forces prices of goods and services up because there is more demand in the economy. Unemployment above 10% has a deflationary impact and forces good and services down because there is less demand in the economy.

Gutcruncher
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Aug 2011, 11:59 am

Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:
Capitalism requires unemployment to be within 5% to 10% to ensure inflation is not out of control. Unemployment under 5% has an inflationary effect upon economy and forces prices of goods and services up because there is more demand in the economy. Unemployment above 10% has a deflationary impact and forces good and services down because there is less demand in the economy.
At last, a person with sanity and an awareness of macro-economics!

Capitalism cannot provide full employment. That is a fact. In fact, capitalism considers full employment to be negative. We Aspies are the 5-10% who will always be unemployed just to the whole economic system being rigged against us.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 7:00 am

Gutcruncher wrote:
Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:

Capitalism cannot provide full employment. That is a fact. In fact, capitalism considers full employment to be negative. We Aspies are the 5-10% who will always be unemployed just to the whole economic system being rigged against us.

I honestly doubt that, given that we're only 1% of the population, and there are those of us who have had stable jobs for a long time now. The problem is the sudden shift to social networking that blind-sided us. Most of us prefer working solo, or using our vast education to prove our dedication to work . . . but that means little now since it's more a "who you know" game. Honestly, I may have to break down one of these days and start a Facebook account . :? But then again, I honestly wouldn't know what to do with it.

SadAspy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 11:02 am

PlatedDrake wrote:
I honestly doubt that, given that we're only 1% of the population, and there are those of us who have had stable jobs for a long time now. The problem is the sudden shift to social networking that blind-sided us. Most of us prefer working solo, or using our vast education to prove our dedication to work . . . but that means little now since it's more a "who you know" game.
]

I think this might be the most accurate post I've ever read on this subforum.

Employers don't care one iota about education...just about "who you know."

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2011, 4:33 am

I've been unemployed for thirty continuous years now.

The main problem started with a perfect score on an IQ test. My Rehab counselor told me that I should have faked stupid, since perfection meant there wasn't any room for improvement. I wasn't smart enough to fake stupid, so I experienced the "Too Smart To Be A Cop Syndrome": http://www.aele.org/apa/jordan-newlondon.html

I had made the most of gainful activities on the street, but when my youthful Tadzio attraction started to fade, I went to university, and with a foreboding, I was stupid enough to graduate magna cum laude with multiple degrees in the top 3% of my overall class, and the top 1% of my majors.

My Rehab counselor told me that I should choose different impairments, since epilepsy and DSM-ed autism were career killers. I was naive enough to believe the anti-discrimination laws were enforced well enough to protect me against prejudice from federal employers. The Supreme Court let stand lower court rulings that my impairments were so severe as to preclude rehabilitation and that my impairments were so slight as to be irrelevant in discrimination claims.

I did get to read tons of books in academics, and to play lawyer for myself in federal civil courts for ten years, but since my late twenties, only unemployment for me with employers.

Tadzio

Sandee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jun 2012, 12:13 am

Yeah, it's been over 5 years for me if you are talking about working 32 hours a week. I did find a part-time job in Nov 30th 2011, but I was tutoring only 3 hours a week and that went down to 2 hours a week since the parent didn't want anyone tutoring her son. She was to call my employer and inform them, but she didn't. She left me high and dry. But it's okay. I still got paid for the hours I tutored her son. So, yeah, I've earned about oh, I'd say . . .$350 in 2012 so far. Oh wait, I forgot. I do presentations for NAMI. That is on-call. So, I've earned about $200 more in 2012.

May be I'll earn $1k total by the end of 2012. That's good. I earned $0 in 2011.

I should have never put my MBA on my resume. People think Sandra G is way over qualified and that is a total lie since my work background proves I don't have any management experience! At least I have a roof over my head and I don't pay rent. But dang, I'm tired of living with my mom. It's not cool to live with mom when you are 36/37. But these are hard times, and there are just not enough jobs for everyone out there. If everyone was paid $30K a year intead of some people getting paid (like the U.S. president) $300K $400K a year - there would be a LOT more money to go around. For every job that pays $300,000K a year, and cut that down to 30K a year, an employer could hire 10 people. I mean - just ONE person earning $300K. It should be illegal for ANYONE to earn more than $250K a year. No one NEEDS that much money in one year.

So, if you are like me . . .just be happy you live rent free. Or if you are married, be happy you got someone to live with. I'm not on unemployment either. That ran out in Feb 2010 and I lost my job in March 2007 . . .so its been over 5 years now since workig 32 hours a week.

Sandee
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jun 2012, 12:20 am

SadAspy wrote:
Can anyone beat having a master's degree (as well as some work experience) and being unemployed for over a year?

I have an MBA and I have been looking for full time work since March 2007. Welcome to the club. I also did volutneer work at a wellness center for 9 months and now I volutneer for Hemet Mental Health and I'm on the Mental Health Board. I volunteer each Monday and I go to the board meetings each month. I get paid for gasoline only. Both are volunteer positions. I'm looking for work like CRAZY. I was applying to 60 up to 90 jobs a month online. I cooled my jets though. I was getting no where FAST and I was getting ANGRY ever faster. So, I said "Who cares, people don't value me? So what? That is there loss, not mine. I know I can work for $20K a year. People think I want $40 or $50K a year. Well, they don't know Sandra G. I'd take $10K a year after not working 32 hours a week for over 5 years. 10K a year sounds GREAT to me.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 6:55 am

I can't remember exactly when I had my last job but I haven't worked in at least 10-13 years.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 12:33 pm

I never worked long enough to even get unemployment.

DC
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2012, 1:29 pm

PlatedDrake wrote:
Gutcruncher wrote:
Dark_Lord_2008 wrote:

I honestly doubt that, given that we're only 1% of the population, and there are those of us who have had stable jobs for a long time now. The problem is the sudden shift to social networking that blind-sided us. Most of us prefer working solo, or using our vast education to prove our dedication to work . . . but that means little now since it's more a "who you know" game. Honestly, I may have to break down one of these days and start a Facebook account . :? But then again, I honestly wouldn't know what to do with it.

The problem is the existence of a free labour system (i.e. capitalism)

In the 1950's unemployment in Britain was under 1% and bear in mind that during this time there were massive war debts to pay off, the economy was in a far worse state then today and there were also huge numbers of disabled people from two world wars working.

Today we have huge levels of unemployment and an immigration policy that is so open that immigrants with PhD's find work in fields picking asparagus and other crops.

Unbridled capitalism absolutely can not provide full employment, it is economics 101.

ChekaMan
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jun 2012, 12:53 am

Sinnce I graduated in 2002 I've worked a few months at most.

Projectile
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2012, 8:26 am

I know how you feel. Working/ Job/ Career ..bane of my existence. I have had 50+ jobs in 12 years.. and here I am again unemployed

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2012, 4:37 pm

Projectile wrote:
I know how you feel. Working/ Job/ Career ..bane of my existence. I have had 50+ jobs in 12 years.. and here I am again unemployed

October 2011 last year when I got hired for my seasonal temporary job at Target, i was unemployed for 4 years, and have been unemployed since December 17th 2011

Appleisbetter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Sep 2012, 1:15 am

I have worked for a total of 6 months in my 44 years. But I am a stay at home dad looking after three kids so I suppose some would classify that as work.

Adam82
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 2:32 am

I had a job for about a month this year, before i got fired.

Before that, I haven't worked for over a year. My last decent job ended in August 2011. I have trouble holding down a job, and it can be a long time before I find another one.