I've been unemployed for 3 years. Anyone beat that?

Page 1 of 9 [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 6:43 am

SadAspy wrote:
Can anyone beat having a master's degree (as well as some work experience) and being unemployed for over a year?

Master's degree here. But, as I've mentioned in previous posts, the whole self-employment/underemployment is starting to turn around.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 2:51 pm

I have been unemployed for nearly 4 years.

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 1:28 pm

almost 2 years with a BA degree and high GPA.

Gutcruncher
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jul 2011, 1:31 pm

Capitalism is an AS sufferer's biggest disability. We need a universal revolution, and a global planned economy.

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 1:49 pm

Gutcruncher wrote:
Capitalism is an AS sufferer's biggest disability. We need a universal revolution, and a global planned economy.

No, capitalism would be our savior, we already have a planned global economy completely controlled by our banking system and have had such and economy for quite some time. It's been great for china, s**t for everyone else.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2011, 4:09 pm

33 mos now. Was wrongfully terminated because of a disability(skin condition)

Finally, after some so so legal advise Im taking them to federal court. problem is I'm broke now. $20,000 retainer wtf

so the only recorse is to file Pro Se. TG I've got a few people helping me.

After being terminated no one from that company will give me any kind of recomendation or referal. I feel as though my job history was taken away from me. the union screwed up and didnt file in time. they were told also...not to talk to me.

I signed up with a temp service, 1job that lasted 1day. doesnt help that I was very specialized in a specific field

in my field...ive got mad skills just cant prove it. I wasn't allowed to take pictures of what I built!

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 7:47 am

I have been unemployed since October 09' so I am slowly catching up to you. :wink: I am toying with the idea of going on disability.

TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 12:33 pm

6 years :(

Before that i hadn't had a day off for 9 years over 3 jobs,

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 6:14 pm

TechnoMonk wrote:
6 years :(

Before that i hadn't had a day off for 9 years over 3 jobs,

why?

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2011, 1:52 pm

27, unemployed since graduate assistantship ended in 15 months ago.

I have an MA but can not get work, and frankly am fearful of being able to hold a job.
Help!

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 7:07 pm

apply for SSI homefry!

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 1:41 pm

I was unemployed for two years. Working two jobs now, both part time, and one is seasonal. Making some money, but not enough for independent living -_-. I'm taking some classes now in computer programming, and hoping that will help me get something a bit more stable in the coming year.

boxoffrogs
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jul 2011, 8:36 am

Four years now of unemployment, long term sick, currently working with working links regards starting my own business as a tool repairer/ artist metalsmith, as I am self taught in all of those. I am doing it, because I am fed up of living like this on the peanuts the benefits are, as everyone kind of forgets as all the prices are rising, the benefits stay the same and those on low incomes feel it worst. Currently I only eat properley every couple of days and have to cycle everywhere because public transport is too expensive, and they want the unemployed to find work, get real !

Anyway the working links lot reckon me to be unemployable given my age and the AS, which is good, because of what I have experienced of employers in the past, including seven years in the armed forces, I no longer want waste my skills on ungrateful people, I have done it too many times. I did try in the past when I had some freedom in a job, I tried a few of my ideas without my employers consent and I reaped a profit of 30k a year, from my own section where previously there was no profit, only loss and my ideas also impacted other areas of the business too, it helped the business immensely, but could I get a pay rise, no chance, so I left and took many of the customers with me leading to the small business I worked for almost failing six months later.

So, to any employers out there, beware, never upset a determined aspie, aspies need recognition for their efforts, ignore them and they lose interest and quite often revert to an almost childish p.i.t.a.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 9:01 am

boxoffrogs wrote:
Four years now of unemployment, long term sick, currently working with working links regards starting my own business as a tool repairer/ artist metalsmith, as I am self taught in all of those.

Good for you!! ! I think it is encouragement to see more self-employed or under-employed people still making an effort.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 2:03 pm

oldmantime wrote:
Gutcruncher wrote:

No, capitalism would be our savior, we already have a planned global economy completely controlled by our banking system and have had such and economy for quite some time. It's been great for china, sh** for everyone else.

How would capitalism be our savior? I think capitalism is more of a problem. lol

FadeAway
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2011, 5:10 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
How would capitalism be our savior? I think capitalism is more of a problem. lol

It's the current implementation that is the problem, not necessarily capitalism itself. For example, there is a lot of favoritism going on, money is moving from A to B not because B provided actual value but because of social structure, distribution of power and personal greed. (this is oversimplified of course, but is fairly close to reality)

I just read this article about management consulting and believe that it describes some of the core problems we have nowadays. (as a society, but of course it's especially problematic for people with AS) But this is not inherent in capitalism itself.

Not sure whether I would call capitalism a saviour though.