I've been unemployed for 3 years. Anyone beat that?

Page 3 of 9 [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Adam82
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2012, 2:32 am

I had a job for about a month this year, before i got fired.

Before that, I haven't worked for over a year. My last decent job ended in August 2011. I have trouble holding down a job, and it can be a long time before I find another one.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Sep 2012, 9:20 pm

I haven't worked sense October 2008 & today's date is September 22, 2012 so according to my math it's been close to 4 years. I have physical disabilities that limit me with employment. & I lost my last job because I had problems doing certain aspects of it & I tried some medication to help that made me sick.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 12:34 pm

nick007 wrote:
I haven't worked sense October 2008 & today's date is September 22, 2012 so according to my math it's been close to 4 years. I have physical disabilities that limit me with employment. & I lost my last job because I had problems doing certain aspects of it & I tried some medication to help that made me sick.

I hate how resume gaps, unemployment gaps are red-flags, look negative to hiring-managers, employers, even if the person was not a criminal

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 4:01 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I hate how resume gaps, unemployment gaps are red-flags, look negative to hiring-managers, employers, even if the person was not a criminal

I don't think it's too much of a red flag for me. The kind of jobs I had were custodial & dish-washing. People come & go from those jobs alot. I was told from some places when I called to check on the status of applications that they get lots(one place said thousands) of apps so I having an employment gap is probably fairly common for those types of jobs. I do have experience & the apps usually have a spot for Reason For Leaving & I put that I had problems doing certain aspects of my last job & I list what they were(climbing ladders & other fine-motor skill things) due to a tremor disorder & that I tried medication to threat it & I got sick.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 12:53 am

nick007 wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I don't think it's too much of a red flag for me. The kind of jobs I had were custodial & dish-washing. People come & go from those jobs alot. I was told from some places when I called to check on the status of applications that they get lots(one place said thousands) of apps so I having an employment gap is probably fairly common for those types of jobs. I do have experience & the apps usually have a spot for Reason For Leaving & I put that I had problems doing certain aspects of my last job & I list what they were(climbing ladders & other fine-motor skill things) due to a tremor disorder & that I tried medication to threat it & I got sick.

well the fact i've been getting interviews for those type of jobs, but getting turned down, i don't know

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 1:30 am

WantToHaveALife wrote:
nick007 wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
nick007 wrote:

well the fact i've been getting interviews for those type of jobs, but getting turned down, i don't know

I don't think you'd be getting interviews if they were concerned about employment gaps & all that was shown when you listed your previous work history. It may help to explain in the interviewer why you left previous jobs & then mention how you've been looking for a job sense but not having much luck. Considering the unemployment rate is about 8%; lots of people are having a hard time getting minimum wage jobs

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2012, 2:30 pm

nick007 wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
nick007 wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I don't think you'd be getting interviews if they were concerned about employment gaps & all that was shown when you listed your previous work history. It may help to explain in the interviewer why you left previous jobs & then mention how you've been looking for a job sense but not having much luck. Considering the unemployment rate is about 8%; lots of people are having a hard time getting minimum wage jobs

because for a very long time in my life whenever I applied for a job, not only would I not get hired, i would not even get an interview in the first place, but lately i've been getting interviews, but no job offers

steviewonderau
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2012, 3:51 am

I have been unemployed for 14 of the last 15 years. I have applied for thousands of jobs online and I never get any responses besides the odd automated rejection email: sorry, better luck next time. Now I feel like I am too old, too fat and too slow to ever get a job.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 4:29 am

I last worked in 2007, as a seasonal Toys R Us employee, so 5 years at the end of this one since my last day was right after Christmas. Since September 2010 I've been trying to make progress with school instead. I had a few years there where I just didn't do anything, partially because I had no car and used it as an excuse, mostly it was just the depression.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2012, 8:55 pm

eelektrik wrote:
I last worked in 2007, as a seasonal Toys R Us employee, so 5 years at the end of this one since my last day was right after Christmas. Since September 2010 I've been trying to make progress with school instead. I had a few years there where I just didn't do anything, partially because I had no car and used it as an excuse, mostly it was just the depression.

i started an internship 3 weeks ago through the Orange County Asperger Syndrome Support Group of Southern California, but still doesn't really count as a job since you don't get paid for it, but i had to do something because i've had 11 job interviews this year but none of those interviews turned into job offers

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 5:06 am

WantToHaveALife wrote:
eelektrik wrote:

i started an internship 3 weeks ago through the Orange County Asperger Syndrome Support Group of Southern California, but still doesn't really count as a job since you don't get paid for it, but i had to do something because i've had 11 job interviews this year but none of those interviews turned into job offers

It may not pay money now, but hopefully later it will impress an employer on your resume enough to make the difference in getting you hired.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2012, 7:36 pm

eelektrik wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
eelektrik wrote:

It may not pay money now, but hopefully later it will impress an employer on your resume enough to make the difference in getting you hired.

yeah thats the goal of this internship

SeigiCitadel24
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Oct 2012, 11:50 pm

Been unemployed for the past 4-5 years now, instead living as a carer and now considering voluntary work. No matter how hard I try to look for jobs, no one ever considers me. Repetitive application gets boring eventually and soon after I feel hopeless. I did get a job doing chicken catching but I left a day later, at the expense of my partner crying bucketloads (her father was my supervisor and the one who scored me the job). It was a total back-breaker for me (my back ain't that strong), but I regret ever having left that job.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2012, 10:56 am

SeigiCitadel24 wrote:
Been unemployed for the past 4-5 years now, instead living as a carer and now considering voluntary work. No matter how hard I try to look for jobs, no one ever considers me. Repetitive application gets boring eventually and soon after I feel hopeless. I did get a job doing chicken catching but I left a day later, at the expense of my partner crying bucketloads (her father was my supervisor and the one who scored me the job). It was a total back-breaker for me (my back ain't that strong), but I regret ever having left that job.

even the simple low-end minimum-wage jobs, even they are very nosy as to what the candidate, applicant, job-seeker has been doing while unemployed

Nick9075
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2012, 7:53 am

I have been unemployed for much of the past 3-4 years.. I have had many temp jobs but they have only lasted either a few weeks or a few months and none going perm. because of this I am essentially unemployable and seen as someone who is unstable.. My BA is in Accounting & I have an MS in Finance but I don't think I will ever be able to get a job in this field again or anything making over $10 an hour

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 9:45 am

I had 2 real jobs in my life, I'm 21. One was working at a restaurant for a week or two, in 2010. A year after in 2011, I worked selling windows for a month and got fired for being not cut out for it/my family going on vacation. Barring that, I've worked for my father very very sporadically, like every 4+ months he'll call me up to help him out with his business which is repairing restaurant machines, but that's very rare and sporadic. I've made cash out of it, though, but my father doesn't really like me too much I think, as in he views me as a failure for a variety of reasons and is ashamed of me. He needs help, and I've offered to even work for him for free, but he doesn't wanna associate much with me. Other than that, usually about every 3-4 months, someone will pay me a little cash to do some easy car work like put brakepads on or something.