Is the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation a scam?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

twoclose
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jun 2012, 12:31 am

I've been looking online for others who had terrible experiences with DVR and job coaches. Reading a few of threads on Wrong Planet and notice many had very unfavorable things to say about DVR/job coaches.

Anyone else think the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation is a scam?

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 1:19 am

I just know IME their offerings were real menial and a complete 180 degrees from my special interests, I 'lucked out' by getting SSI before I was expected to be groomed to compete with day laborers. I sensed at 1 point during their tests that I was fighting for my life and had to embellish my weaknesses in order to look 'good' - no point in them trying to send a basket case out to work, right? I'd like to hope things have gotten marginally better but then again everything in California is anti-logic

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 1:29 am

If you live in Indiana, DVR has been downsized and pretty much disabled. I don't know about the other states. Mitch Daniels has privatized everything he could, including dietary in the state psychiatric hospital. It used to be in this state most people who worked for DVR cared deeply about providing the very best for clients. I personally feel DVR is now a vehicle for profit.

poppyfields
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jun 2012, 1:41 am

I don't think it's a scam per se but at least the one in my state sucks at helping if you have a non-physical disability. Basically because I did well in school, there's nothing they can do for me. Before my AS diagnosis I went to them (for my vision) and that didn't work out either because they were always discouraging me and also because I was scared of direct interaction with my case worker so I avoided all her phone calls.

But the psychologist who diagnosed me basically told me it wasn't even worth pursuing that route. There was even an article in the local paper (of a large city) about how difficult it is for aspie adults to find jobs after doing great in college.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2012, 2:12 am

They were supposed to assisting me with about a quarter of my college tuition, but in four years of school they actually only gave me about $800.00 for books and supplies.

ADoyle90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jun 2012, 9:42 pm

I've also experienced the issue with VR wanting people to do menial jobs, and that they consider being underemployed to be a "success" when I would prefer to use my computer skills. One thing I did hear about them is that you have to do everything they tell you to do, and if they get you that menial job, you have no choice but to accept it. Otherwise, they could cut off services because they claim you're not cooperative with them.