Disability benefits for aspergers?

Page 5 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

restlesspirit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jun 2014, 10:10 am

55 is to old to start a new meaningful career??? that is ALL i need ot know right now... that im locked into a job that is not suited for me mentally, and stresses me out?? And with AS i cant ge disability which i don really want anyway as ive worked all my life with AS? depressing I cant find new work because of the AS i fail those assessment tests and if i do get beyound that i screw up the interview.. so what do i do. retrain in my passion and hope for the best or just stay locked in a torture job?

Acidic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Jun 2014, 1:31 am

I haven't read all 6 pages but I wanted to point something out with social security disability.

Each type of disability insurance has different levels of triggers. For instance SSDI has the strongest set of rules for what is considered disability. You must be disabled to the point where no meaningful work is possible. So even if you have to leave you sales job because you are not able to do the work you can still do something else. Even if it is much lower paying or completely unrelated to what you are currently doing. They aren't just being as*holes, it's how the rules are written.

Disability benefits through an employer are generally less stringent. For instance many "white collar" jobs have a form of disability called "own occupation". If a surgeon loses a finger in an accident but in every other way is a capable human, just one who probably shouldn't be doing surgery. With this form of disability the surgeon would be covered. SSDI would not pay though.

Aspies would likely have better luck applying because of social anxiety than ASD itself. Also it would be very helpful to find a good disability lawyer to help you apply.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2014, 3:30 pm

they made me get on ssdi too even though i can work and have only worked a little bit. now cause of it i have two medical insurances and i still confused about it but they said it'll still cover the stuff I was doing .

Krakken
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2014, 11:49 am

I just got denied SSI again. They say my symptoms aren't severe enough to qualify despite the fact that I can't even make it through an interview without weirding out the interviewer. My college education has been nothing but a setback. I have all of this worthless paper with tons of debt attached to it and it's being used to deny me benefits. I have a sh***y GPA and made few associates much less friends in college. I have no network, no people skills, nothing. They're even holding jobs that I received non-competitively against me despite the fact that it was term work and I was never asked back. I feel like I'm out of options.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2014, 9:32 pm

aghogday wrote:

Sress related disorders often reported by people on the AS like Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Dysautonomia, Adrenal Fatigue, etc. are also hard to get disability benefits for, even if your Doctor agrees they are permanently disabling.

Many of us like cats, including me, and understand them quite well. If a cat was put in a cage and subjected to a lightning storm day after day after day, do you think the cat could find a way to adapt and recover each day? I don't think so. A diagnosis may help you to avoid this kind of situation in the workplace.

Yes, that's what I'm in the midst of trying to prove to my doctor - that I have POTS/dysautonomia that is preventing me from working. He's already diagnosed me with fibro/CFS years ago. I will still able to work shortened shifts up till the POTS showed up - then I just couldn't do it anymore. I tried so hard.

I like your cat analogy! Too true.

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

ElsaFlowers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Feb 2015, 2:27 am

I've been trying to find out how much benefit I may be entitled to once I'm diagnosed with ASD but unable to find this information. Can anyone advise please. Currently I work full time however I'm not coping at all and this is having a severe affect on my ability to do anything else once I get home. I feel I have no choice other than to carry on with work because if I don't contribute minimum £400 per month to our mortgage/bills then we'll lose our house. My partner had to take a massive pay cut through no fault of his own and now we cannot afford this house, however we wouldn't get another mortgage and the thought of moving to rented accommodation would be more than our relationship could stand I'm sure :(

My partner is probably considered a high earner so would this affect my benefit entitlement if I stopped working? I was out of work a few months ago and they paid me ESA but it was only just over £70 per week so it wasn't even enough for me to contribute towards our bills. I need minimum £500 a month so I can pay bills and buy groceries

I want to stress that I'm not just trying to find a way to get out of working as some of the people around me who are supposed to care about me seem to think. If I could get help to find a part time job that could accommodate my needs I'd happily do this but it seems impossible to even get an interview. There are so few jobs that seem suitable also, I just don't know what to do :?

I'm not diagnosed yet but my assessment is next month.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 12:12 pm

I get DLA middle rate for care and lower rate for mobility and ESA work related activity. I'm 48 and have only one real job ever since leaving school in 1984 with some shtty qualifications not worth the paper they were written on. I worked for 6 years in some kind of sheltered factory where I was emotionally abused for not having a learning disability which reinforced the PTSD I had since 1974. I have really had no support since 1977 until I created my own job which in some ways I had the wrong psychological profile for as it was one of those where you may need to have some compassion for those better off then youself emotionally. Employers look for the allistic BS in the interview anyway and since nearly 50, it is just as likely as my mum running for the US presidency as me of finding work that I can enjoy and am not taken for granted and I don't feel any rewarding feelings after doing a days work or anything having been taken for granted for 40 years. College courses are only beginner courses not at all attractive to employers and I can't network. :(

Raederle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Mar 2021, 10:01 am

renemain wrote:
I qualified for disability for having Asperger's here in the United States. I applied and was approved by Social Security in 6 months. I was diagnosed summer of 2010 and was approved in Jan. of 2011. I had medical proof and filled out the paperwork honestly. It can be a debilitating disorder. And what's up with all the harsh judgments about people with Asperger's? Sure everybody has opinions, but maybe people should be more supportive? That's my opinion.

May I ask how much you qualify for and receive?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to go down the hard, scary path with my husband to get him care. I made my own post about his symptoms and condition, and why I'm scared of even trying to go through the ordeal to qualify for care. I'm trying to figure out if there is a potential payout that would be worth it. For example, I'm not sure that $50 a week would be enough incentive to cover the amount of stress, work, and money it would cost to get the benefit in the first place.

Raederle is pronounced: Ray-der-lee