Tired of getting passed up for jobs I am overqualifed for

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

endersdragon34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jul 2016, 2:15 pm

For starters, I have a master's degree in special education... and have about a decades worth of experience working with populations on the spectrum (and a lifetime of experience working with myself lol). While I have a job I sort of like, as a para at a school for students on the spectrum, I don't make enough doing it to even make ends meet, much less get ahead. I had to spend all last year with the most annoying roommates of all time (by the end 5 of them, 4 annoying adults, 1 typically annoying baby, though previously just 3) and they were constantly taking advantage of me financially because there was little I could do. I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK TO THAT. The problem is, in the state of Utah there really isn't any affordable housing, certainly nothing within 30 minutes of the school I work at. Everything is $800 or above even for a studio, and I make around $1,400/month... the numbers just don't add up.

Sadly, everyone else I apply to, both in the field of autism transitioning (/college) and general education, seems to not like me for no apparent reason. I think I sound a bit autistic on the phone, but there is not much I can do about that (plus once again, I think that should be an asset not a detriment) so I generally just come out and admit it. Still getting past over for all of these jobs, most of which just require a GED/diploma, or at most a bachelors and a years worth of experience. *sighs* any suggestions, I probably have already done 50-100 applications just this year... more in recent history. Starting to get annoying.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2016, 3:11 pm

> Tired Of Getting Passed Up For Jobs I Am Overqualifed For

I can definitely relate to that. I almost always hide my educational background when applying for jobs that don't require it. If they find out and ask I certainly don't lie about it, but I would never volunteer the fact that I have more education than specified in the job description.

Do you list your over-qualifications on your resume? You might consider leaving them out and not volunteering the information. Also, if you can find a way to make a personal contact at the organization, going around the HR people, that might get you to the interview stage more often.

There Are Four Lights!

endersdragon34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jul 2016, 3:14 pm

Darmok wrote:
> Tired Of Getting Passed Up For Jobs I Am Overqualifed For

I can definitely relate to that. I almost always hide my educational background when applying for jobs that don't require it. If they find out and ask I certainly don't lie about it, but I would never volunteer the fact that I have more education than specified in the job description.

Do you list your over-qualifications on your resume? You might consider leaving them out and not volunteering the information. Also, if you can find a way to make a personal contact at the organization, going around the HR people, that might get you to the interview stage more often.

Yes I list my over-qualifications, because without them I don't seem to have much in the way of qualifications. Sort of bad either way... but I really don't think it's the over-qualifications that keep me from getting the job :-/. I have done that (make personal connections) a few times on facebook, and that's how I got my current job... it's just hard to make personal contact inside an organization that might be 5 states away.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2016, 11:50 am

It probably is your are an expensive hire.

More degrees does not mean a better deal for the district.

The fact is, most district would love to hire new teachers and throw them to the curb when almost get tenure or start hitting get the higher pay grades.

In my school district, the time teaching plus your masters degree makes you expensive hire. They would rather have a 20 something working on a masters than you.

For general education, do you have anything else besides the SPED degree? Teachers who have ESL certificates get snapped up in general education. The big thing in elementary school is literacy and English as a second language. If you can't score an out right classroom job, you can get hired as an interventionist with those.

Can you move? Arizona is hiring. My friend now teaches on an Indian Reservation, where her housing is subsidized.

For people who don't know, OP can't fudge her resume for a teaching job. The fact she worked in SPED for so long means she has some certificates and a degree.

I know 10 teacher (from Internet and real life), who are in the same position as you. I don't know how old are, but these teachers in in their 40s+ age wise. Older teachers have more experience, public schools with unions have to pay that pyramid grade. Older teachers won't usually put up with the BS the administrators shovel out. Sometimes it flat out age discrimination. My DD school used to put older teachers in kindergarten to get them to retire. Picture 60 years old with semi crappy knees and back with a room of very active 4/5/6 year olds. Yeah. Right.

If you have no reason to stay in that particular area, I'd start looking out side of it. I know Florida is hiring too.

I don't think all your job search is the autism. The teaching jobs are nonexistent in some areas. It's almost who you know to even get an interview.

Good luck!

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2016, 12:01 pm

On last thing...

SPED jobs are drying up. My DD school used to have 3 SPED teachers. Now they are to one. I believe it is one certified SPED teacher, someone with an associate degree and a bunch of para pros. The interventionist do pull out for support, the para pros help with inclusion in the classroom. The SPED teacher does almost all administrative work. The kids in autistic intervention are all mostly verbal, and can mostly follow instructions. The goal is to have them para pro minimally supported by 4th grade, and no para pro by 5th. It is extremely difficult to get a para pro for an Aspie level kid in my district in the middle school. There are educational supports, but if the child needs someone there for on going behavioral issues, the the screws are applied to push for a self contained class. Of course, that is outsource to another district.

What population do you work/would like to work with? Have you looked at residential treatment centers. My one friend does that, and she loves it.

endersdragon34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jul 2016, 2:35 pm

Tawaki wrote:
It probably is your are an expensive hire.

More degrees does not mean a better deal for the district.

The fact is, most district would love to hire new teachers and throw them to the curb when almost get tenure or start hitting get the higher pay grades.

In my school district, the time teaching plus your masters degree makes you expensive hire. They would rather have a 20 something working on a masters than you.

For general education, do you have anything else besides the SPED degree? Teachers who have ESL certificates get snapped up in general education. The big thing in elementary school is literacy and English as a second language. If you can't score an out right classroom job, you can get hired as an interventionist with those.

Can you move? Arizona is hiring. My friend now teaches on an Indian Reservation, where her housing is subsidized.

For people who don't know, OP can't fudge her resume for a teaching job. The fact she worked in SPED for so long means she has some certificates and a degree.

I know 10 teacher (from Internet and real life), who are in the same position as you. I don't know how old are, but these teachers in in their 40s+ age wise. Older teachers have more experience, public schools with unions have to pay that pyramid grade. Older teachers won't usually put up with the BS the administrators shovel out. Sometimes it flat out age discrimination. My DD school used to put older teachers in kindergarten to get them to retire. Picture 60 years old with semi crappy knees and back with a room of very active 4/5/6 year olds. Yeah. Right.

If you have no reason to stay in that particular area, I'd start looking out side of it. I know Florida is hiring too.

I don't think all your job search is the autism. The teaching jobs are nonexistent in some areas. It's almost who you know to even get an interview.

Good luck!

Most schools I apply to are private or charter and they all have tons of jobs and I am looking just about anywhere in America for a job (seriously I have applied to jobs everywhere from Maryland to Arizona). I am not certified to teach (in a case that was CLEARLY discrimination, but wasn't much I could do about... basically cooperating teacher during student teaching said "Autistics shouldn't be teachers", a few days later I was being removed from the program) so for now it has to basically be a para job only, which is why higher education is looking better and better... but again so far no luck there.

redbrick1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2016, 5:17 pm

Not being credentialed will definitely disqualify you from any public school teaching job. You could look at working as a behavioralist. Basically working as a behavioral therapist in the home, the pay is not great but you can be a behavioralist which does pay is comparable to a teacher but it takes about five years in the field.
The other person did not mention the fact that teaching is a very SOCIAL job. It requires being very socially astute. Any job I was fired from was not due to competency but due not being the right 'fit'. That is the hardest to overcome.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2016, 8:02 pm

endersdragon34 wrote:
For starters, I have a master's degree in special education... and have about a decades worth of experience working with populations on the spectrum (and a lifetime of experience working with myself lol). While I have a job I sort of like, as a para at a school for students on the spectrum, I don't make enough doing it to even make ends meet, much less get ahead. I had to spend all last year with the most annoying roommates of all time (by the end 5 of them, 4 annoying adults, 1 typically annoying baby, though previously just 3) and they were constantly taking advantage of me financially because there was little I could do. I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK TO THAT. The problem is, in the state of Utah there really isn't any affordable housing, certainly nothing within 30 minutes of the school I work at. Everything is $800 or above even for a studio, and I make around $1,400/month... the numbers just don't add up.

Sadly, everyone else I apply to, both in the field of autism transitioning (/college) and general education, seems to not like me for no apparent reason. I think I sound a bit autistic on the phone, but there is not much I can do about that (plus once again, I think that should be an asset not a detriment) so I generally just come out and admit it. Still getting past over for all of these jobs, most of which just require a GED/diploma, or at most a bachelors and a years worth of experience. *sighs* any suggestions, I probably have already done 50-100 applications just this year... more in recent history. Starting to get annoying.

College graduates are technically debt slaves. Just because your leftist teacher told you to go to college to study Liberal Arts or some other hippie professors who teach you to pass a test you come out in debt for life the problem is experience as well.

I once knew someone who had a masters in, "art" Okay great, what does he do now? He pushes carts at night because the manager doesn't want him and his "artsy goth" looks to scare the customers. True story by the way.

I've worked with many Master Degrees working at the same rate or less than me. When you go to school don't go with "what you feel is right" do something that is going to make you money and you know you can handle.

I know a female who was just about to finish her RN but last minute I kid you not she wanted to go into Medical Management because it makes more. Well it's true they do make more but those jobs are rare and have to many applicants so now the best she can get is an underpaying HR gig at a nursing home.

Go into a trade or job thats hiring and needs people. Don't go into something that has to many applicants your going to be in the same boat unless your lucky enough.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2016, 10:52 pm

redbrick1 wrote:
Not being credentialed will definitely disqualify you from any public school teaching job. You could look at working as a behavioralist. Basically working as a behavioral therapist in the home, the pay is not great but you can be a behavioralist which does pay is comparable to a teacher but it takes about five years in the field.
The other person did not mention the fact that teaching is a very SOCIAL job. It requires being very socially astute. Any job I was fired from was not due to competency but due not being the right 'fit'. That is the hardest to overcome.

I didn't know you weren't credentialed. Where I live all private and charter schools want credentialed teachers. Considering there are at least 4 teacheing degree programs in my area, schools can pick and choose.

How did your cooperating teacher know you where autistic? What was the reason they gave you for the removal?

The reason I asked, is I have seen some pretty horrid student teachers, and they don't get removed.

What's your degree in?

College/university is harder because they want doctorates to teach. My community college requires minimum a masters. My friend said she made more being a manager at a gas station, than teaching at a community college.

Have you tried subbing?

redbrick1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2016, 11:05 pm

HisShadowX wrote:
endersdragon34 wrote:

College graduates are technically debt slaves. Just because your leftist teacher told you to go to college to study Liberal Arts or some other hippie professors who teach you to pass a test you come out in debt for life the problem is experience as well.

I once knew someone who had a masters in, "art" Okay great, what does he do now? He pushes carts at night because the manager doesn't want him and his "artsy goth" looks to scare the customers. True story by the way.

I've worked with many Master Degrees working at the same rate or less than me. When you go to school don't go with "what you feel is right" do something that is going to make you money and you know you can handle.

I know a female who was just about to finish her RN but last minute I kid you not she wanted to go into Medical Management because it makes more. Well it's true they do make more but those jobs are rare and have to many applicants so now the best she can get is an underpaying HR gig at a nursing home.

Go into a trade or job thats hiring and needs people. Don't go into something that has to many applicants your going to be in the same boat unless your lucky enough.

I agree that the push for school was a concerted effort by the AFT (American Federation of Teachers) to increase their membership, since a majority of AFT members are college professors. This has created a glut of programs with questionable academic quality thus diluting the value of the degree. And that we need to change the high-school to be more vocationally based, but OP already has a master's and was looking at advice to how to get a job.

redbrick1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2016, 11:05 pm

HisShadowX wrote:
endersdragon34 wrote:

I agree that the push for school was a concerted effort by the AFT (American Federation of Teachers) to increase their membership, since a majority of AFT members are college professors. This has created a glut of programs with questionable academic quality thus diluting the value of the degree. And that we need to change the high-school to be more vocationally based, but OP already has a master's and was looking at advice to how to get a job.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 12:19 am

I'm going o have to agree with prior posters. I interned at a staffing agency, and one thing I learned pretty quickly was that few companies want to hire someone who is overqualified.

Why? One reason is that suspicion as to why someone with your level of experience and degree is applying for a job below your grade. And they may expect you to ask for more than a candidate who is at the level they're asking for would.

Don't mention your masters unless it's a requirement for your job, not on your resume or cover lettee, or any pre-interview things, anyways. You don't have to, because your resume is mostly about relevant experience. It's why you might have worked at McDonald's, but you wouldn't put that on a resume for a job as a scientist. It's about relevant experience to what they're asking for.

If you want to bring it up in a job interview you can, you just need to be aware of how you phrase it. You need to make sure they know your reasons for taking a job you're underqualified for aren't because you f*cked up or something like that. And be honest about salary requirements when it comes up, but if you're expecting a salary based on your qualifications you probably won't get it.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor