Out of the blue an interview call... a job I had forgotten

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 3:49 pm

Waiting for one job, i get an email for a phone interview for a different job... only 3 months long and it doesn't pay much because it's part time (but I could keep ssi and medicaid), but I'm qualified and I had previous training to do this job because I had to teach kids how it was done, and i have 4-5 books about it, but I never actually did it....

But most interesting is the job is a 1 hour drive from my house! But I don't have a vehicle :( but I have a license if I did have one.

One relative was totally against the idea, another said he would look for cars... my husband is on the fence...

I mean, could this be perfect to save money for another job, or does lack of vehicle kill it...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 7:39 am

How would you get there if you didn't have a vehicle?

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 1:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
How would you get there if you didn't have a vehicle?

I couldnt... I would have to find one before the job started. I told my caseworker and she said she can't help.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2016, 2:44 pm

A lot of employers reject jobseekers if they live too far away from the job... But one hour drive should be manageable. Are you sure that there is no public transport to help you?

Getting a car - or getting in a carpool is probably your best bet, but if the pay is low and it's only part time, I guess it wouldn't matter much if you turned it down?

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 5:40 pm

ok wrote:
A lot of employers reject jobseekers if they live too far away from the job... But one hour drive should be manageable. Are you sure that there is no public transport to help you?

Getting a car - or getting in a carpool is probably your best bet, but if the pay is low and it's only part time, I guess it wouldn't matter much if you turned it down?

I don't live in a major metro area, there is no public trans from here to there. They are already aware of where I live. I would mostly be getting the job to put something fresh on my resume and it fits in my general job category, plus we really need a car and it would be enough money to keep gas and insurance, for at least as long as the job. (My mechanic uncle has always charged me little or no money to fix my cars)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 6:58 pm

Is it an hour to that job via the highway, or an hour via local roads?

If by local roads, maybe you could ride a bike to work.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 8:56 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Hour by the highway, too far to bike

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 7:01 am

I wonder if you could inquire whether there's a carpool type of situation where you might work.

You could spring for the gas.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2016, 10:28 am

Great news!

Go for it! You'll want this on your resume!

I would get a cheap car from craigslist and see if your relative can help you make sure it's in okay working condition.

I haven't had to drive "beater" cars for years but something in me will not allow me to use credit for a car, so I just continue to pay cash for them. Lots of people freak out when their car reaches 100K or 150K miles and sell it even when there's nothing wrong with it. Another person can snap up that car cheap and keep driving it all the way to 300K miles!

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2016, 1:11 am

Angnix wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

You might want to call your county or local mayors office and ask if there is a paratransit company in your area that has the contract for the ADA Paratransit program which is a curb to curb service.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 7:23 am

HisShadowX wrote:
Angnix wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

You might want to call your county or local mayors office and ask if there is a paratransit company in your area that has the contract for the ADA Paratransit program which is a curb to curb service.

Well, it goes out of county... there is curb to curb here and we use it extensively, but you can only catch the bus to another town in the county.

Carpool, I don't know how to get hooked up with that.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jul 2016, 1:39 pm

Angnix wrote:
HisShadowX wrote:
Angnix wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Well, it goes out of county... there is curb to curb here and we use it extensively, but you can only catch the bus to another town in the county.

Carpool, I don't know how to get hooked up with that.

Every transit company has an ADA Service for it's disabled customers by Law. You might want to call them and see what sort of service the ADA service has for you out that way.

I live in Chicago and with the ADA program I pay 3 dollars for curb to curb service in Cook, Will, Dupage, Kane, and more counties.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 2:47 pm

They have reduced fare for disabled, but they only stay in this county.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 6:25 am

There might be some curb to curb going cross-state, it seems weird that they keep that stricktly.

On the topic; not being able to get to your work in a decent timeframe can and will indeed hurt your chances.
Craigslist is a good spot to quickly find a cheap vehicle, but make sure you take someone knowledgeable (a friend of family member) when you go check it out (which you should do, before commiting to the sale).

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 4:28 pm

But you guys are assuming I have money, right now, I have 12 dollars... an issue is that I have nothing, if I got a job I would have to hope people would help us and right now trying to ask if people would help me, they wont, perpetuating this cycle of poverty me and my husband have to live in. Everything is a sacrafice, even the money I use to keep this smartphone going probably would be better used someplace else

And getting a job in this very small isolated town... very hard and would not use my degree at all.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2016, 9:36 am

I would try to find someone who already goes there, or near a bus that goes to the new job and see if you can carpool with them in exchange for paying for their gas.

You don't have a relative that would let you borrow a car for awhile? I'm trying to think of what happens in my family when people get into low spots like this. I have an adult nephew that's had to claw his way up from nothing and these are the kinds of measures he's taken. We gave him a car once (it was a terrible car so not much of a gift), drove him around, he took the bus and walked when he could. Eventually he made it. It's kind of expected to help out younger family members as they're starting out.