I find your lack of ambition disturbing.

Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

RandomFox
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jan 2017, 5:59 am

It's one of those things I've never had in my life, since very early age - ambition. Absolute zero. I'm happy not owning much and I don't see the point of dedicating my free time to working towards some material stuff. I can see it as a giant character flaw, but I can't even talk myself into wanting things :D I tried!
Why the hell I even got a Master's Degree? I just have a huge desire to know more and that's it. Not to do anything meaningful with that knowledge, I don't care.
I really tried to reason with myself and make myself care, but it's just not working at all. No kind of parental or peer pressure or comparing myself to others worked.

People in their 20s are actually way more driven than me (my NT sister for example) and my friends in their 30s are not only driven but also achieving a lot. Some are just like me though, happy with simple jobs and a predictable day to day life. My parents were like that, so maybe that's it, but it would be silly to blame them in any way.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 6:27 am

RandomFox wrote:
It's one of those things I've never had in my life, since very early age - ambition. Absolute zero. I'm happy not owning much and I don't see the point of dedicating my free time to working towards some material stuff. I can see it as a giant character flaw, but I can't even talk myself into wanting things :D I tried!
Working to buy material stuff? That's not how it works. The truly ambitious invest the majority of their disposable income, rather than buying material stuff. They would see shopping as a waste of money that should be invested.

Also the ambitious don't have any free time for shopping or using recreational products such as video games.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 6:08 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
RandomFox wrote:
Working to buy material stuff? That's not how it works. The truly ambitious invest the majority of their disposable income, rather than buying material stuff. They would see shopping as a waste of money that should be invested.

Also the ambitious don't have any free time for shopping or using recreational products such as video games.

Then what's the point? You only live once. I am not ambitious per se, but I want more of what is interesting in my life and less what isn't. That means that work for the sake of just investable income is not interesting to me. Doing something interesting, technical challenging is something I prefer over just getting income. So, I am not opposed to work, but I am opposed to joylessness. That also means that while I invest some money, I buy instruments and computer stuff just because it brings me pleasure. The anhedonic life is IMHO not worth living.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 6:57 pm

LostInEmulation wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
RandomFox wrote:

Then what's the point? You only live once. I am not ambitious per se, but I want more of what is interesting in my life and less what isn't. That means that work for the sake of just investable income is not interesting to me. Doing something interesting, technical challenging is something I prefer over just getting income. So, I am not opposed to work, but I am opposed to joylessness. That also means that while I invest some money, I buy instruments and computer stuff just because it brings me pleasure. The anhedonic life is IMHO not worth living.
That works too :D

What is your technically challenging job?

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2017, 9:04 am

It's a kind of technical support for a difficult Unixoid system

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 8:56 am

I'm happy living in a small apartment, working a "low class" office job, you might say. That doesn't mean that I'm not still ambitious. It's just that all my ambition goes into my hobbies like reading, writing, and playing video games. I want to do more of what I enjoy, not more of what I hate. What's the point of having more money if I'm not going to have/allow myself the time to buy the things I want with it? You tell me I should own a house, my first reaction is "But that'll mean more stuff I have to keep clean!" My biggest workplace ambition is to find a job that I can clock into every morning without weighing the pros and cons of jumping out the window. Just because we're not ambitious the same way you are, doesn't mean we have no ambition.

Also, no, we're not bitter. You're just saying some very ignorant things, and we're calling you out on it.