I find your lack of ambition disturbing.

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 7:06 am

Hexen wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Hexen wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
What's your point, exactly?

"I goto college and I have noticed that a lot of people in their 20s and even 30s"

So you noticed something. Yay for you. I still fail to see what this thread is intended to achieve.

Maybe it's real purpose is to expose people within the autism community, that have OCD so severe that they go and judge the relevance and/or importance of threads.

Threads with no apparent purpose make my hairline recede. Also I'm not part of any "autism community", so the joke's on you.

Hexen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2017, 7:10 am

Sabreclaw wrote:
Hexen wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
Hexen wrote:
Sabreclaw wrote:
What's your point, exactly?

"I goto college and I have noticed that a lot of people in their 20s and even 30s"

So you noticed something. Yay for you. I still fail to see what this thread is intended to achieve.

Maybe it's real purpose is to expose people within the autism community, that have OCD so severe that they go and judge the relevance and/or importance of threads.

Threads with no apparent purpose make my hairline recede. Also I'm not part of any "autism community", so the joke's on you.

Then you must have a really hard time, considering how many threads are posted. If you are on a forum like this, you can still consider yourself part of the community; despite not having autism yourself. Regardless, I edited the post since I hastily made the comment and felt it was unfair, especially considering you defended me in another thread.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 7:30 am

I used to be ambitious but my repeated failures have forced me to adjust my goals. I want to finish my course and get a job, but buying a house is just not going to happen. I can't tie that much money up in one thing; and I don't expect to have enough money anytime anyway.

Nick9075
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Jan 2017, 11:40 am

Hexen wrote:
I goto college and I have noticed that a lot of people in their 20s and even 30s, have no desire to ever own a house. Most have no desire for an actual career, except the ones in college and even then their ambitions are low. I cannot fathom why anyone, especially someone going to college to earn a degree; how they would be content living in an apartment. I know the economy is bad, but no one even seem to have the desire for the American dream. Many now are just content with hookups and basically living in an over-priced box. I have no desire to have kids, but I want a nice house, a wife, a nice car. My generation, I feel have just become an ambition-less generation of spoiled brats.

actually I find that most people in their 20s & 30s are doing extremely well -- they are the ones that are being hired for the high paying positions and are renting nice apartments that rent for well over $2500 for one bedroom and many are in the position to interview & hire people

I myself have realized that I am screwed and I am told that explicitly or implicitly by everyone I meet because bad choices in life are cumulative meaning they follow you for life now especially careerwise. I have only been able to get contract work that is unsteady and unstable. I realize that I will never own a house and only have a few months of rent in the bank should this job end.
There is nothing to be happy about. The only way I get thru the day is with high doses of Adderall, Wellbutrin & Gabapentin.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 1:16 pm

I get through with gabapentin, seroquel and cannabis.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2017, 2:22 pm

Houses are a lie. It's the biggest scam on the planet.
If no one bought houses, the banks would actually have to appreciate their smaller customers more.
The government would struggle to manage inflation (interest rate rises affect mortgagees).

Get a boat, house truck. Even a micro self built house if you must.
Less money wasted on insurance, none wasted on interest.
Freedom from bad neighbours, freedom to shift locations as desired or needed (eg Hurricane is coming, or has destroyed your city, employment).
Watch your bank balance grow to astronomical levels.
Houses are mainly used for accumulating 'stuff' that you don't need either.
Don't buy anything that will saddle you down.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 5:33 pm

I fail to see why being ambitious is such a great thing.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 6:05 pm

So much to say to this OP.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is doing what's right for you.
Go to uni and get certifications? Sure. Choose a career where you don't need certifications. Yes!
Live the single life? If that's what works for you. Get married. Sure if that's what you want.
Live in a house? An apartment? A tent in the bush? Each has pros and cons and people prefer different things.
Just because someone doesn't visualise their future to be the same as yours doesn't mean they don't have "ambition"

Different strokes for different folks.
Choose what sort of boat you like and float in it.

Hexen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2017, 8:08 pm

BeaArthur wrote:

This is sad.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 8:13 pm

Hexen wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

This is sad.

Why?

Is ambition necessarily good?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

10 Jan 2017, 8:30 pm

I would say the perceived lack of ambition is the result of current economic realities, there are no more careers for most people and nobody does what their parents did nowadays so that is a major pathway cut off.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 8:42 pm

What exactly is so good about being "ambitious"? I just want a property where I can setup an environment to attract wild-life, and build my own insectarium. A career is nothing more than a means to an end - the money I need to fulfill my desires.

Hexen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2017, 9:34 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I would say the perceived lack of ambition is the result of current economic realities, there are no more careers for most people and nobody does what their parents did nowadays so that is a major pathway cut off.

I don't do what my parents did. My parents were drug addicts.

Hexen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2017, 9:35 pm

Eurythmic wrote:
So much to say to this OP.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is doing what's right for you.
Go to uni and get certifications? Sure. Choose a career where you don't need certifications. Yes!
Live the single life? If that's what works for you. Get married. Sure if that's what you want.
Live in a house? An apartment? A tent in the bush? Each has pros and cons and people prefer different things.
Just because someone doesn't visualise their future to be the same as yours doesn't mean they don't have "ambition"

Different strokes for different folks.
Choose what sort of boat you like and float in it.

Hexen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jan 2017, 9:39 pm

So many of you are coming off as angry at me, just for bringing this to discussion. These comments lead me to believe that a lot of you are bitter.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2017, 10:29 pm

I f*****g hate living in an apartment, and I'd love to own my own home some day, but I'm not sure how I'd do it. I don't desire anything extravagant either, just a small place in a quiet area. Hell, a trailer on a small plot of land on the outskirts of town would be just fine by me.