Would you work at a place that gave you a bad vibe?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jan 2017, 12:12 am

I already interviewed at this place (Rural King), in the past. I had assumed it was a part time job or full time (found out it was a temp job and would require me to go in at 4 am to do stocking and would only last a month or so.)

First off, they made me wait at least 20 minutes. While waiting, I noticed, apart from the place not being the most clean, that everything seemed hectic, almost tense. I sometimes saw the interviewer walk past a couple of times, telling me that it would be a few more minutes.

When I finally was called into the interview, it seemed kind of tense (kinda like an interrogation). The interviewer/boss lady seemed stern and I got the impression that I WOULD NOT want to work FOR her. Anyway, I think I made several verbal missteps during the interview (more due to lack of knowing what the job entailed as all they did is call me in and tell me they had an interview.)

Anyway, I did not get the job. However, I found another job listed there, one I could possibly do. As you may have heard, I had some issues with DORS and had hoped I would leave them, as it didn't seem to be working. However, my family basically told me to go back. (Even though DORS actually said the final decision was mine, I know I'll get chewed out, and possibly need to find a new place to live, if I turn DORS down. Some choice! :( )

So, I can't tell the job coach that I'm wary of it based on my own experiences, and all the reviews online that backed up what I had seen, as something like this had happened before and she and her assistant had gotten into a long argument with both my mother and I about a call center job that had pretty negative reviews on both Glassdoor and Indeed and my mom even knew two people there that said it was bad yet the job coach and her partner kept arguing with us.

As I'm already on thin ice with DORS, I don't want a repeat of the call center thing, so I have tried the following:

I told my mom my hunches and have decided, if Rural King calls for an interview, to ignore it and just delete the voicemail. The job coach need never know.

However, if mom stupidly orders me to go with it (BTW, another thing, my own mother can be VERY abusive, etc, as even my dad and brother admit, and being around her is part of the REASON that I am afraid of working for a bossy/bullying/mean manager. I want to get AWAY from that type of environment, not seek out MORE of it.), I thought, if Rural King calls, to lie (which I DO NOT like doing) and say it was a political group (those do call me sometimes so it's plausible) and delete the call from the records anyway and not tell mom OR the job coach.

Personally, I hope this thing with the web development thing, which was going great, till a managment change put all hiring on hold, eventually comes through (as that job would be PERFECT and seems so perfect that it almost seems Divinely provided) and I can get leave home and not have to deal with my mother OR the pesky DORS job coach again (Well, I can visit my mother, sometimes, but the sooner I see the back of the DORS job coach, the better.)

Has anyone ever been in a situation like this? (BTW, I likely WILL get a phone call or whatever from Rural King. They emailed me already saying they were looking me over. Hopefully, I will get lucky and maybe they will just send an email for an interview and I can just delete it. A phone call might be harder to explain away.)

I could also say it was from a temp agency or something that got my number. I'm not the best liar, having Aspergers, and so my parents likely could see through me.

Again, I ONLY applied for this because I knew that the job coach would LIKELY see it on Thursday when we meet again (was feeling happier all this time having not to meet with her).

I DO know that mom is appearing to take my side on more stuff about DORS (she didn't like how they behaved either at the last meeting) but my dad appears, without knowing much of the information, to be taking DORS side and likely would chew me out,etc, if he found out I had blown off a job.

It's not the pay (which would practically be AT minimum wage, despite my Bachelors, I'd be starting out as minimum wage, is kinda NOT how I figured I'd be starting out, as I specifically went to higher education all that way to BYPASS minimum wage). I could HANDLE that for a few months to a year or so. However, I DO not want to work for a bossy, demanding, stern person (who likely won't tolerate my Aspergers anyway).

Granted, maybe all my hunches are wrong on this, but better safe than sorry.

I actually tend to avoid places that have reviews of terrible management, etc repeatedly in its reviews. It's the BULLIES that I cannot handle. Anyone who has grown up with an abusive parent should know that.

EmilyRyan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2017, 5:31 pm

I believe you're in the right on this one any place where the management aren't gonna be tolerant toward autism or any other disabilities for that matter isn't a place worth the time and effort to work for.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2017, 5:54 pm

I'm actually surprised DOR would allow you to consider a short term temp job, as at least in my state, they don't want you to take any temp jobs unless it's either a full year or preferably, temp-to-hire.

DinoMongoosePenguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jan 2017, 8:38 pm

adoylelb90815 wrote:
I'm actually surprised DOR would allow you to consider a short term temp job, as at least in my state, they don't want you to take any temp jobs unless it's either a full year or preferably, temp-to-hire.

They don't, actually. However, as I said, it was a sort of "blind date" interview. I had made a general application in June or something of 2015 and heard back in October or November of 2015 and it turned out to be a temp position that would only last a month or so and would require me to start at 4 am (meaning I'd have to get up at 3 AM). And I'd have to interview all over again.

As for DORS, I really WANT to get rid of them but my family won't let me. I was looking at Nick Corcodillo's stuff and he makes a lot of sense. I am actually pursuing his suggestions on one company that seems to be the BEST fit.

However, my job coach or whatever she's called I believe would rather place me in a $7.80/hr job NOW than wait two or some months for a $30-40K/yr job.

In fact, one of the DORS people told me flat out, though they didn't say it this way, but I got the gist of it: You're interviewing skills are bad and you really have no hope unless you can bypass the interview stage. And we have connections but you have to use them.

At that moment, I knew what I already was beginning to suspect of them: that I was just a TOOL to them!

Also, and to an extent my mother agrees with me, DORS seems to be taking out its frustration on not being able to find anything for me and flipped out over the hotel job miscommunication incident.

What I ultimately think may well end up happening is that the All Web Promotion Job may well come through. However, I fear that if I get a job NOW, I'd just have to leave it when I got that one, and the job hopping would look BAD.

Also, Rural King was asking questions like "Why should I hire you?" (i hate those abstract questions, but, luckily, Rural King was the only interview that asked them.) Also, when they asked if I could do early stocking, I said, sure, I can come in about 6 or 5 (My Dad came in at 5 at the time and he didn't like it too much, so I was going to set 5 as the upper limit). However, the hiring lady then said, kinda sternly, "What about 4? Can you come in then?"

I just felt intimidated the whole interview. It was the polar opposite of the All Web interview, which felt very cheery and I felt at home there.

As for All Web, though they did say that they would tell me if they are hiring again, I did think, that since they didn't say NOT to contact them anymore about this, that it likely wouldn't hurt if, if they don't contact me sooner, that I contact them again at the end of January, beginning of February, to see how things are going. I bet the more I contact, the more I attract their interest.

What my job coach doesn't seem to get is that, while I will bend over backwards to try and get something that is the perfect fit, or close enough, I'm not very keen to go a million miles for something is low-pay, likely dead end, not in field, has millions of hoops like long applications, personality tests, etc and then follow up and call a few times to "show I'm interested" when, really, I'm not that interested. Granted, if I do a simple Indeed fast apply and get something low-wage, dead-end, not in field, etc, that's one thing. But I'd NEVER spend the time and effort I did for something like All Web Promotion for any of those.

If I didn't hear back, I just assume it's a no go. I may call back if it's halfway decent (And I really DO have a phobia of calling complete strangers to talk to them(Now, if it's an Internet FB friend, that's another story, as nothing hinges on the conversation. But if something is at stake if I come across the wrong way, I get very nervous.) I remember that I do have an obsession with politics, but when I had to call state reps about something that I was PASSIONATE about, I was VERY nervous and it took several days to work up the nerve.)

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2017, 11:08 am

I wouldn't work there. It sounds like a place that would drive a neurotypical to drink and an Aspi/Autie to first stim, then eventually melt down.