Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

pmccully
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 May 2017, 7:07 am

I had to take this job because the last one I had was literally too much chatting for me to think straight. I figured at least this one was for a hands on job that I am good at (lab instrument repair). It wasn't my first choice because the boss came on too loud and callus during the interview; he gave off a really bad vibe. Now I get the assessment of my first month and it's a list of all the things I'm just not good at or are even that important for my job. He wants me to go with other people and learn about their jobs, when i am so busy fixing things I don' t get proper breaks or lunches. My co-workers chat all day and surf the net. I guess I need advice on how to do more socializing at work with the people I am fixing instruments for. I don't know who they are or where they sit in the 7 different buildings I fix things in, but small difficulties like that are disregarded by my boss. I'm very socially anxious and directionally have to carry a map of this place. Its demoralizing getting no positive feedback. Its been six weeks and feels like much longer. Before I turn this into a my job sucks post, because that's a given, lets assume a worst case scenario that my applications and interviews for better jobs don't get me out of this "its a paycheck" situation. How do I deal with a toxic work environment like this and keep it together until I can escape?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 7:30 am

Reviews can be stressful. I remember well receiving them and writing them. Not fun for anyone, really.

But, no supervisor wants to criticize their subordinates. Encouraging someone to quit just forces the supervisor to do another applicant search while also doing or more closely managing the now-vacant job requirements.

So, think of a review as a road map to focusing on the recommendations. Do that, and things will resolve nicely.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Last edited by AspieUtah on 24 May 2017, 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 9:46 am

You need to learn to be more like your co-workers. You are working too hard because you are trying to do everything by yourself. You need to learn from your co-workers. By observing or even asking your co-workers, you may find that some tasks are merely "wish list" items. You don't actually have to do them. Nobody does them. Nobody gets fired for doing not doing them. But your boss can't say you aren't suppose to do them. He could get fired for doing that.

pmccully
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 May 2017, 11:26 am

This boss is very full of himself. He's the do as I say not as i do type. He knows my job is fundamentally different than the others in the department. I'm troubleshooting, repairing and calibrating HPLCs. The others can just switch an instrument on and check of a box. I really can't be like the others. I have to stick to 1/2 hour for lunch and take two 15 min breaks that I never get. I used to take gym classes at my old job but all the classes are 45 minutes and he has decided there is no combining lunches and breaks. Of course the others do anyway but I'm not opening up for more criticism by doing that. They don't go to the gym they use the internet. Its the type of job where because one person was caught cheating time and being a poor worker, everyone is treated like a time cheater and incompetent. Very demoralizing. We are not allowed to stay late or make up time, everything has to be PTO. So my interview time is unpaid absence, and he criticized me for that as well. He seems to have hired me because he needed at least one person doing this assignment.
I can make sure I take the 30 minute lunch at least, try to get outside and walk around between the buildings i guess.
I will try to pull my self out of the depression this job causes me when someone is around and act normal with people interactions.
Let see what else. I should make a list and put it in my pocket to keep my spirit up. Suggestions welcome

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 12:19 pm

pmccully wrote:
...I should make a list and put it in my pocket to keep my spirit up. Suggestions welcome

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." Thomas Paine, The Crisis, December 23, 1776.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)