Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,448
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

13 May 2017, 1:29 am

I have been trying to start out job searching, I am on SSI but signed up with vocational rehabilitation to try and get into working. Right now I am working with an employment specialist person from the local mental health center, so far I have been looking at craigs list and just googled nearby places I would have interest in working...but I have to wonder if there is a better job website out there. I mean I tried the classifieds of the local papers website but that wasn't any help at all. So yeah any of you who work how do you actually find jobs to apply for? Does anyone know of better sites than craigslist?

I just really want to try and get started but I just don't know where to start, and I have no job history really so not much to put on a resume...I am just afraid this program wont be able to help me with having no previous job experience essentially. I guess if worst comes to worst there is another program I checked out through vocational rehabilitation that could provide more supported employment like jobs that specifically know your disabled and work with you more on that I could go back to. But if I could do well enough just getting a regular part time job that would be ideal.

But also aside from how do you all here ,generally find job openings but what would you do if you have no employment history to list in the past employment section? That is the main thing that is bothering me, even with job counselling and such how can I even get accepted for a job with no previous work history being almost 28 years old?
I mean I really think I have gained enough control of all my mental issues to work, just not sure how in the hell to actually get a job initially to prove myself as someone who could be a good employee in the first place when I would have to leave the past employment section blank. I did have a couple minor jobs in the past but I don't remember the name of the place or boss and don't even know if the companies are operating under the same management anymore or not. I mean I am 28 last job I tried after getting fired from trying waitressing at age 17, was some place that made wood coat hangers and mirrors with wooden frames that a family member hooked me up with, got fired like within a month but yeah don't remember the name of the place or the employer and don't have enough contact with said family member to get it. Also that is when I was 20 years old so almost 8 years ago..since then I have been depending on familly and then got on SSI.

So I had a couple jobs I didn't do great in, and don't have anything to list for them...and seems every application wants past job history. And is likely they would consider applicants with work history before those with none they can really list, so I just really feel like the odd are stacked against me. Really trying to do this but already the stress of even trying to find anything feels a little overwhelming.


_________________
It's the end of the world,
And a happy end of the world....to you.
-The Ghost of Lemora- another band I really like.


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,448
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

13 May 2017, 2:03 am

Uhh well it was worth a try, maybe more people will see this tomorrow and have ideas. Otherwise I suppose I can continue the google search of how the hell to actually get a job.


_________________
It's the end of the world,
And a happy end of the world....to you.
-The Ghost of Lemora- another band I really like.


Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,344
Location: occupied 313

13 May 2017, 8:04 am

What type of job are you looking for? You don't use the same type of job search for all jobs.

Fast food is different from retail that is different from office work is different from dog walking.

The only way I ever found a decent job is through letting everyone I know I am looking for work. Someone would know a business or make a suggestion, then I would run with it.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,448
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

14 May 2017, 8:38 pm

Tawaki wrote:
What type of job are you looking for? You don't use the same type of job search for all jobs.

Fast food is different from retail that is different from office work is different from dog walking.

The only way I ever found a decent job is through letting everyone I know I am looking for work. Someone would know a business or make a suggestion, then I would run with it.


I am looking to work at a gardening center/greenhouse or tree nursery or something like that. So far I have been looking at craigs list but haven't seen anything yet. Did a google search on nearby places and saved a couple applications to print and fill out, also did a map search as well.


_________________
It's the end of the world,
And a happy end of the world....to you.
-The Ghost of Lemora- another band I really like.


pineapplehead
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Age: 28
Posts: 93
Location: The River Styx

15 May 2017, 3:30 am

Try indeed.com.



adoylelb90815
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 1 Sep 2015
Age: 41
Posts: 319
Location: California

15 May 2017, 3:47 pm

I also think you should try indeed.com, as they also allow you to apply directly from the site if you put your resume there.



jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 13 May 2011
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,670
Location: The end of the northwest passage

15 May 2017, 4:05 pm

You could try LinkedIn, although it tends to focus more on higher-level positions. I find it a useful way to keep my work history organized, and I often connect with people I meet elsewhere in order to grow my network (which I hear is important). Instead of having a lot of references, I can just point to my connections with people who used to be my managers and coworkers.


_________________
A fish in water doesn't know it's wet


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,448
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

15 May 2017, 9:11 pm

Might give the indeed.com another try, I did look at some results from there an found it kind of confusing, but maybe if I made an account and tried it out it would work better. I just google searched and some results came up on indeed.com so didn't really give it a fair try.


_________________
It's the end of the world,
And a happy end of the world....to you.
-The Ghost of Lemora- another band I really like.


LemonySmithit
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Joined: 15 May 2017
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Posts: 2
Location: UK

15 May 2017, 9:33 pm

Maybe it's different in the states, but I cannot recommend just asking these places enough. Also, be happy to work for free if you can to get some experience behind you, I volunteered for three years as a teen to just have some work history. So maybe contact the places you're after working for, ask for some experience, see where it leads. It is tough out there.



seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Sep 2015
Age: 22
Posts: 1,342
Location: underwater

15 May 2017, 11:34 pm

locate the greenhouses/nurseries/wherevers and ask in person if they are hiring, or if you can speak to a manager.

it is hard, and especially being autistic, an interaction like this is very uncomfortable. but i have found that people are more likely to see a person irl as a potential employee, and if they only see you on paper/electronically its harder for them to connect with you sans having a lot of experience to list on your resume.

i like to think about it this way: if i am to work (here), then i must be able to have interactions with the people who already work (here). if i am to be hired (here), i will get to know the people who work (here), and they will get to know me, and it will be okay.

edit: also, you can totally list your past jobs without having specific information or references on resumes. appearance over truth, is a funny truth i've been taught by some of my successful peers and family members. it's a weird world we live in but hell...your truth is that you have some experience and if you can just give a name for the employer, the general amount of time you worked there (like an ambiguous 08/2009-11/2009 for instance) and maybe some info about your responsibilities you'll be fine. i've been told that its better to have something to fill that space even if it means nothing.



Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,344
Location: occupied 313

16 May 2017, 1:05 pm

The two local mom and pop green houses/nurserys by me hire on sight. Meaning you show up, talk to the manager and get an application. They do nothing online.

A big chain place like English Garden does everything online.

If you are clean, on time, follow directions and don't steal, you shouldn't have problems getting hired.

Because they will ask...do you want to be a cashier, customer service or do you have experience handling plants? The green house places by me have at least those three jobs.



JoeNavy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 1 Apr 2017
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 38

16 May 2017, 5:21 pm

Since I retired from the Navy, I have held 6 jobs, but I have applied for hundreds. There are so many websites out there. Indeed is a personal favorite as I landed my last two jobs through it. There are several others such as http://www.monster.com, http://www.CareerBuilder.com, and http://www.simplyhired.com. There are a few that are tailored to the persons with disabilities market segment, they include http://www.disabilityjobexchange.com, http://www.gettinghired.com and http://www.abilityjobs.com.
If working for the government might appeal to you, there is also the Schedule "A" letter which will allow a person with a disability to get a noncompetitive appointment for a federal job and you can find out about that through https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/working-in-government/unique-hiring-paths/individuals-with-disabilities. Most state and local governments also have programs for hiring folks that are on disability.
Hope this helps. Good luck!


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 153 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


Scorpius14
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Joined: 7 Sep 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 364
Location: on the computer

16 May 2017, 8:42 pm

I've used indeed and been unemployed for almost 3 years now, and with around 2k applications logged on my indeed account, only 3 or 4 came back as interviews, some would either be fake or some would be asking for experience. After having been said in the description that full training is provided, experience isn't necessary but they prioritise people with experience, thats also why i've filled some of my time with volunteering but I can't manage to find a volunteer position in my chosen industry and retail seems to be the only way forward. Not that i perform well in interviews anyway.



Anon_92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 26 Apr 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 196

18 May 2017, 2:30 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I have been trying to start out job searching, I am on SSI but signed up with vocational rehabilitation to try and get into working. Right now I am working with an employment specialist person from the local mental health center, so far I have been looking at craigs list and just googled nearby places I would have interest in working...but I have to wonder if there is a better job website out there. I mean I tried the classifieds of the local papers website but that wasn't any help at all. So yeah any of you who work how do you actually find jobs to apply for? Does anyone know of better sites than craigslist?

I just really want to try and get started but I just don't know where to start, and I have no job history really so not much to put on a resume...I am just afraid this program wont be able to help me with having no previous job experience essentially. I guess if worst comes to worst there is another program I checked out through vocational rehabilitation that could provide more supported employment like jobs that specifically know your disabled and work with you more on that I could go back to. But if I could do well enough just getting a regular part time job that would be ideal.

But also aside from how do you all here ,generally find job openings but what would you do if you have no employment history to list in the past employment section? That is the main thing that is bothering me, even with job counselling and such how can I even get accepted for a job with no previous work history being almost 28 years old?
I mean I really think I have gained enough control of all my mental issues to work, just not sure how in the hell to actually get a job initially to prove myself as someone who could be a good employee in the first place when I would have to leave the past employment section blank. I did have a couple minor jobs in the past but I don't remember the name of the place or boss and don't even know if the companies are operating under the same management anymore or not. I mean I am 28 last job I tried after getting fired from trying waitressing at age 17, was some place that made wood coat hangers and mirrors with wooden frames that a family member hooked me up with, got fired like within a month but yeah don't remember the name of the place or the employer and don't have enough contact with said family member to get it. Also that is when I was 20 years old so almost 8 years ago..since then I have been depending on familly and then got on SSI.

So I had a couple jobs I didn't do great in, and don't have anything to list for them...and seems every application wants past job history. And is likely they would consider applicants with work history before those with none they can really list, so I just really feel like the odd are stacked against me. Really trying to do this but already the stress of even trying to find anything feels a little overwhelming.


If you want to waste your Aspie mind with "doing pointless things for no reason" then be my guest. My game is searching the classifieds for the right job and emailing the Editor or President and offer my services for them to turn down etc... I also do it randomly to companies telling them "I'm am Aspie and you guys know you want me but you're not going to hire me etc" The right jobs usually fall into my lap over time. But I generally can't work there for more than six months because I become so valuable to them that they fire me or I quit out of boredom with everyone ignoring my perfection at what I do and end up hating me etc... so I am disabled because I insist on doing the job as perfectly as possible and no one notices etc... and get free government money for life to do it etc... it's all a game for us!



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,448
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

19 May 2017, 2:12 am

LemonySmithit wrote:
Maybe it's different in the states, but I cannot recommend just asking these places enough. Also, be happy to work for free if you can to get some experience behind you, I volunteered for three years as a teen to just have some work history. So maybe contact the places you're after working for, ask for some experience, see where it leads. It is tough out there.


Well if I was in a position I could work for free just to get experience I would...but that isn't really my situation. The main reason is I need more income than I am getting from SSI and I am doing better with my mental issues so I probably am capable of starting work now. But it needs to be paid work, not in any position to spend tons of time and effort working for no money...I don't have parents to help me out, like I did when I was a teen. At that point I did volunteer at a library which went ok and tried a waitress job(which I failed horribly at).


_________________
It's the end of the world,
And a happy end of the world....to you.
-The Ghost of Lemora- another band I really like.