Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

yamato_rena
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Aug 2017, 11:42 am

I think I'm dealing with a minor case of burnout. I just can't really bring myself to talk to any of my coworkers today, and my attention span is shot (On its own, the last one isn't exactly uncommon, though I can usually remedy it by pacing the hallways for a few minutes). I had to attend a conference on Thursday and another one on Monday. Just one of those is usually enough to wear me down pretty thoroughly. I thought the weekend would serve as time to recover, but in hindsight, I'm not sure it did; my mom and sister came over to visit on one day, and I went to visit them on the other, which probably threw my routine off. I don't think it's a good idea for me to take a day off work, so I guess I should probably just put up with it until this upcoming weekend, if I don't recover sooner?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 8:26 pm

just "today"? sheesh. quite frankly i have felt that way for several years. with only few and brief exceptions.

and you have a job. better than me.

although being better than me, in that way, does not necessarily mean you are doing that well.

yamato_rena
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Aug 2017, 8:38 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
just "today"? sheesh. quite frankly i have felt that way for several years. with only few and brief exceptions.

although being better than me, in that way, does not necessarily mean you are doing that well.

My apologies for the situation you're in, but I wasn't seeking any kind of pity. I know that I'm doing quite well for having ASD. I have had a lot of advantages that helped me greatly. Fully acknowledged. I come to WrongPlanet every so often to seek advice when I run have an issue that I think relates at least in part to the ASD. Under normal circumstances, I am able to carry out discussion with my coworkers. I found that yesterday I was uncharacteristically not able to. I thought burnout (and minor burnout, at that, I made sure to note, because I know that in most cases it is more severe) might be the cause given the broader context, so I sought advice here.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 7:57 pm

yamato_rena wrote:

My apologies for the situation you're in, but I wasn't seeking any kind of pity. I know that I'm doing quite well for having ASD. I have had a lot of advantages that helped me greatly. Fully acknowledged. I come to WrongPlanet every so often to seek advice when I run have an issue that I think relates at least in part to the ASD. Under normal circumstances, I am able to carry out discussion with my coworkers. I found that yesterday I was uncharacteristically not able to. I thought burnout (and minor burnout, at that, I made sure to note, because I know that in most cases it is more severe) might be the cause given the broader context, so I sought advice here.

that is ok.

maybe i just projected. misconstrued. misinterpreted. misunderstood that it sounded like you were seeking pity. b/c i myself seek a lot of pity.

sympathy instead of advice

but yeah. you got a job. full time? what's your job title?

the only jobs i had were minimum wage type jobs that any old monkey could do. never got a job that used my BA in cognitive science.

regret going to college. especially ucsd. san diego is/was so homophobic. graduated 2007. seriously. my precious lil "parents" told me they wasted 100,000 dollars sending me to get that worthless piece of paper. so as usual, feel guilty, ashamed, stupid, incompetent, fat, annoyed. feel so ashamed of self.

but hey whatever.

they also did not send me to get a diagnosis when i was under 18. (rolls eyes)

the adjacent county's public school system has a Special Education program that offers job training. for ages 18 to 24. seriously. what kind of job does it take six years to train for, that does not require an AA or BA?

could've picked up job skills. and not wasted so much $$.

seriously i am so stupid.

my precious lil "parents" are so stupid.

going to school does not make someone smart or smarter.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2017, 11:20 am

yamato_rena wrote:

No,
I don't think you are burned out by your job but maybe you are feeling overwhelmed. I also work in a position where I attend conferences myself and there are a time and place where I have to take a personal day. We call that "Self-care" where I work. It sounds like you might need some self-care.