Aspergers Disclosure in a cover letter/resume

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KevLibraryGuy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2013, 3:01 pm

Hi everyone. If this topic has appeared before, then I apologize, but...how would you disclose yourself as an Aspie or person with autism in a cover letter or resume?

I ask because being an Aspie/autistic person obviously isn't something a prospective employer should find out about after the fact. Even if you mention it in an interview, it may very well surprise your interviewer and leave him/her distracted. That's why I personally think that disclosure is best done in a resume or cover letter. The problem is, it's obviously not an easy thing to write about. How would you describe it? Would you simply include it as a quick blurb in your resume?

HarrisDE
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2013, 3:30 pm

I'm curious about this, too.

I would tend to side with discretion, though one can obviously highlight Autie-strengths in a resume.

I must say, though, my symptoms are not so pervasive as they can be for some, and I wasn't even aware that they were symptoms until a few months ago. I am going to my first job interview, post-diagnosis, tomorrow morning, so I'm curious what people have to say, as much as you are.

jackieshmackie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2013, 3:40 pm

I think the general consensus last time was "don't".

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 3:44 pm

On rare occasions it can be an advantage. In general, the general ignorance of normal people makes it a good idea to not disclose it.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 4:05 pm

Considering the number of applications that employers receive for just about any job, they will often look for ways to cut down the size of the task. Anything that they can use to eliminate candidates for consideration might be used. If they see that you are Autistic or have Aspergers on your resume or application, that will likely remove you from consideration right then and there.

Of course, there is always the possibility that they will never see it anyway. They may have already thrown the application or resume in the trash before they ever get that far.

I don't see any reason at all in giving them an extra reason to pass over you for consideration for the job.

The only times I'd mention it is:
1) on the rare occasion where it may make them more likely to consider you for the job
2) if they specifically ask.

If you can size up the interviewer well and determine somehow that he is more likely to be sympathetic to you if he knows about the condition, then it might be okay to divulge the information. Even then, I probably wouldn't.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 4:15 pm

I believe this kind of thing should not be disclosed until a job offer is made, and only then if they ask.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 4:52 pm

You do not include this in a cover letter or resume.

The only time when an employer should know about a disability or health problem is if it would prevent you from doing the job fully, and if that's the case you're best not applying for the job to begin with - there is absolutely no reason to tell them about this prior to their offering you a job, even in the position it's best not to disclose your diagnosis unless absolutely necessary in order to avoid discrimination.

When employers are looking through CV's they're not looking to hire you, they're looking to thin the applicants - they aren't going to sit worrying over the ethical implications of not hiring you or whether your autism could be an advantage to them, they are going to see a disability...a worker who is potentially going to be more hassle than they're worth...as such you will be almost certainly rejected. These days employers are less likely to play to positive discrimination, when they do they have specific ways of working this so they won't be looking for 'disabled' people via their main recruitment stream. It's also very rare that you will find an employer with enough knowledge of autism.

Even in situations where your autism may be of benefit, it may not be in their eyes. For example I tried to volunteer for various disabled charities and organisations, I mentioned being autistic as a reason to want to work with disabled adults and how it would be a benefit when working with autistic adults. Most rejected me straight away, one invited me to a training session to become a volunteer but it was for severely disabled people to volunteer making cups of coffee in order to feel useful, as bad as it is to say I felt ridiculous in that group and I was offended that it was assumed that because I was autistic I was less capable than other non-disabled volunteers. You can be the best person for a job, but most employers will dismiss you if they know your diagnosis.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 5:04 pm

Unless your intent is to weed out bigoted workplaces, and you can afford the years it will take you to find a tolerant workplace, DON'T.

Do not disclose for any reason unless to not do so would be a direct and immediate lie to a direct question.

They are not going to be tolerant or understanding. They are not going to make accomodations. What they are going to do, is not even bother granting the whiny little ret*d (or potential mass shooter) an interview.

If you get to the interview, you have the opportunity if you can learn to do it delicately to bring up the specific weaknesses you are most concerned about (not being good at small talk, not liking to socialize, wonky memory, sensitivity to flourescent lights-- though you're going to want to pass that off as a migraine thing, not SPD or ASD, whatever).

DO NOT USE THE A-WORD AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON.

THE ONLY APPLICATION THAT BELONGS ON IS AN APPLICATION FOR DISABILITY BENEFITS.

In other thoughts, before applying for disability, you might want to consider a career as a self-reliant survival farmer. You'll be less stigmatized, and much more prosperous.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 5:25 pm

Do not disclose you have Autism

at work, at school, to friends, or much of anyone

It's like discovering you have an unsightly mole on some covered up area. You quietly go to therapy, quietly go get meds, and never tell anyone about your disability.

HarrisDE
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2013, 6:18 pm

Having read what you all have to say, I very much agree that it is unwise to disclose during the applicant screening process, during interviews, and even well into the job.

However, I must say, that in my case, I have made a big deal of my fresh diagnosis, as my boss, I have surmised, is a mid-range psychopath, by definition. For survival's sake, I used the "disability" card, because the gay card is still of little importance, and I feel genuinely discriminated against.

In any other circumstance, I can't see myself disclosing, now that I'm on my way to compensating far more accurately, knowing the root cause of my issues.

Each person is different, of course. Some of us cope or adapt better than others. And circumstances vary greatly.

QX11
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2013, 11:17 pm

I disclose that I am autistic in the cover letter of every job that I apply for. The reason I do this is so that they know why I do not converse well during an interview. I realize that this can discourage people from hiring me, but I feel that it is the only way to let people know that my poor conversational skills are not reflective of my ability to do the job.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2013, 10:59 pm

eric76 wrote:
The only times I'd mention it is:
1) on the rare occasion where it may make them more likely to consider you for the job
2) if they specifically ask.

This. Another factor I've heard that would be in favour of disclosing is if they're an 'equal opportunities employer', but even then you don't need to disclose unless necessary. Unfortunately diagnoses like AS are often misunderstood and the employer is more likely to see the negative aspects first over the positives. What would be good though is to mention the positives in your cover letter without mentioning AS.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2013, 11:03 pm

Oh and another possible reason to disclose if they provide special accommodations that you think you can benefit from (and presumably they're 'equal opportunity employers'). Though I'm not sure this is very common.

homers2012
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Mar 2013, 12:51 am

WrongWay wrote:

This. Another factor I've heard that would be in favour of disclosing is if they're an 'equal opportunities employer'.

Everyone says that they're an equal opportunity employer. In reality, they're far from it. Don't look the right way, act the right way, smell the right way, etc... and they'll be telling you they'll "get in touch with you on Friday." When they think of someone on the spectrum, they think of a cross between Rain Man and Adam Lanza. Unless a job is specifically looking for people on the spectrum, I'd never disclose it.

WrongWay
Toucan
Toucan

23 Mar 2013, 1:10 am

homers2012 wrote:
WrongWay wrote:

This. Another factor I've heard that would be in favour of disclosing is if they're an 'equal opportunities employer'.

Everyone says that they're an equal opportunity employer. In reality, they're far from it. Don't look the right way, act the right way, smell the right way, etc... and they'll be telling you they'll "get in touch with you on Friday." When they think of someone on the spectrum, they think of a cross between Rain Man and Adam Lanza. Unless a job is specifically looking for people on the spectrum, I'd never disclose it.

You're right that it could still not be a good idea to disclose in this case, especially as mental disabilities aren't as well understood and even if they do they might think it'll affect your ability to perform at the job (since employers are allowed to discriminate on the basis of expected job performance but not disabilities). However I would imagine employers vary in terms of how well they accept AS, so there can be some cases where it's okay to disclose (though it's rare). As mentioned, having them say they're 'equal opportunities' on its own isn't enough of a reason to disclose, only if you have another good reason to (like if you think it'll benefit your application in some way) then the fact they're 'equal opportunities' is a plus.

GTMacc
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Mar 2013, 1:46 pm

In the two jobs i've interviewed for and got i've never disclosed my AS i never really saw it as something the employer should need know about at the time. give yourselves the best chance possible to get the job, you can always disclose it at later date if you see fit.