Uhh losing hope of getting a job...

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 9:35 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Plus a lot of jobs say they want you to be able to lift 50 pounds, well I am a small person and my typical weight is 95 pounds so it would be slightly over half my weight carrying something that heavy.....so yeah it would be difficult for me to lift close to 50 pounds very often, like sure I have lifted things that heavy but I doubt i could do it on a regular basis without help.

I don't mean to sound sexist, but you're a girl, so they probably won't expect you to. But I think mainly they just say it to weed out people with back injuries, things like that. I know I used to turn down jobs that said there was heavy lifting, but you build up muscle after a while and get used to it; now I'm regularly hauling around bags that are the same weight as I am, if not heavier.

50 lbs is probably a rare maximum though, and not an average, depending on the job (obviously I can't speak for all jobs, but I know most places adhere to safety regulations). Average is probably much lighter, and anything too heavy is usually a "team lift" effort, and just for a quick second: lifting something heavy onto a dolly, or a palette, etc. to be wheeled somewhere else. Some of us guys like to show off and carry heavy things by ourselves for more than a short distance, but you can actually get in trouble for that :oops:

Anyway, the nice thing about temp jobs is that if you get there and you don't like it, we've had people who barely stayed an hour before going back home. I know at my job, I rarely have to talk to anyone at all...there's a little more socializing on the assembly lines, but they usually leave the quiet people alone, especially if they have headphones on.

You might have to talk to a supervisor or someone though if the place is noisy and you need to wear hearing protection.

I'm just trying to give you some ideas, I know I was in your shoes for many, many depressing years =/

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 10:36 pm

Two jobs that are relatively easy to get are a newspaper route, and pizza delivery. Do you have a car?