Asperger's Syndrome and the Military

Page 2 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

grizeldatee
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Apr 2009, 7:36 pm

irishmic wrote:
All military branches place a high priority on the ability to effective mirror everyone around you all of the time. By definition of the biggest deficits for everyone on the autistic spectrum.

Just ask yourself two questions.
Can I look like I am doing exactly what everyone else around me is doing all of the time?
Can I look like I want to be doing what everyone around me is doing all of the time?

If you answered yes to both questions you are prime military material and should get yourself rediagnosed.
If you answered no to both questions you might be autistic and definately would have a difficult time in the military.

My experience tells me you have no experience with the military.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2009, 6:54 am

I will likely not get signed in the military :cheers:

MrKnott

11 Jun 2009, 7:35 pm

REMF --office work? Oh, yes; but there are so many others! How about the real translation? HA! But what could be worse than 54 Charlie? Oh if I stayed in, I could be retired by now (at speedy 4). Or dead. Some AS guys are better at soldier stuff than others. I'm worse at office politics.

ammerique
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jun 2009, 9:18 pm

I had a horrid time in the military. But only cause I was forced into it. Yup 2 and a half years of conscription no less. It has it's ups and downs. I realise I am more comfortable when I am doing basic training though I do fumble a lot being a little clumsy and slow sometimes lol. Here's the thing, I was given sedentary duties initially as an Admin Asst. It was fine but towards the end I blew my top at my S1 (Admin Officer who's a Lieutenant and my Chief Clerk who's a Warrant Officer). Then I underwent the basic training. And then to Combat Medic training. That's like hell on earth.

Already mentioned how clumsy I am and had a hard time learning the 1001 bandages and splint procedures plus other medical equipment handling I swore nursing is not for me (we had 2 phases - Paramedic & Combat training). Even now, when I go for my reserve training, I am having a hard time. Sometimes to the ire of my fellow Medics and MOs. Plus due to my educational background, I was promoted up to Sergeant rank. Being a Junior Officer and unable to lead is even worse. It gets very stressful a lot.

Following instructions depends I guess. If you can follow while being barked at all the time then I guess this job is for you lol. As for me I am just waiting for my reserve service to end. Till then I will continue to fumble and stumble :lol:

Sentinel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jun 2009, 12:39 pm

I'm in the reserve forces in Britain and I absolutely love it!

I enjoyed the training, I enjoy the weekends away and the military discipline thing is actually quite easy once you get your head round it. However, I was 27 when I joined the reserves and being that bit older made all the difference. I was able to see through the bullsh*t an awful lot faster than most and it didn't worry me when I got a b*llocking for my kit not being right (I realised you would get shouted out regardless of how hard you tried so I did as well as I could and ignored the rest). The great thing about being in the reserves (we call them the Territorial Army) is that you can walk away at any moment - unless you are mobilised that is, in which case you have to go.

If you really want to join the army then join the resreves and do it that way.

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2009, 11:52 pm

aspiemom1 wrote:
I was in the air force. (Note, I still have not been officially dx'd, but there is a strong indication that I am AS). Basic is not too horrible (pretty structured/scheduled), tech school can be a total pain in the rear. There are few if any services/help and if you would need some type of help, well basically they will med board you out (meaning medical discharge). Also, if you tell them before going in, you can bet you may not make it through MEPS, though you might be able, its not 100% guarenteed.

They sure as hell weren't 'medding' people out in 1987! My cousin's parents apparently had to go through huge stress to get HER out of the military with a BPD diagnosis, and she was over age 18! It was not at all easy to get out of the military once you sign a contract. Also heard horror stories about kids trying to commit suicide and they STILL weren't sent home. What a nightmare.

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2009, 12:03 am

zer0netgain wrote:
Been there, done that, have the scars.

I didn't know about AS, nor did anyone, back when I was in. I could be called a "wash out" but the problems I had were heavily AS related.

Surrounded by guys but felt utterly alone...unable to build any functional relationship with my unit...felt like I was the only person who didn't belong there. Led to depression...led to my making choices to get out and all the emotional baggage that produced because I didn't know about my condition.

The problem for people with AS and the military is that one would think it's a good match. Objectively, the military looks like a regimented and highly structured life.

It isn't.

The military has a lot of BS that keeps you guessing what happens next. IF you have the appropriate coping and adaptation skills to "roll with the punches," you might be able to tolerate the BS and get something positive from the experience, but as someone with AS, you are always cognitively compensating for what you don't do intuitively. That was another thing that drove me crazy when in uniform. I didn't hate being in the military, but I couldn't adapt to the constant illogical nonsense they did (only years later did I see the method behind the madness). The constant lack of stability from day to day (which I hadn't learned to adapt to) also made me short-tempered and depressed. It is noteworthy that I got "stuck" with NCOs that seemed to enjoy jerking people around (not the norm from what I later learned from others) and I'm certain that made the situation worse for me.

So, military life is likely going to be more taxing on your coping skills than in civilian life.

The military will consider taking you? That's good, but that they want you not having been to counseling in the last 12 months makes me question how accommodating they will be to the special needs of your AS. Unless your chain of command understands the special problems AS people cope with and are willing to fit you to where you can best serve your country, it will be luck of the draw as to how your military experience works out.

If you "wash out" because you can't adapt sufficiently, it is not a failure on your part, but it will still be emotionally devastating to "fail." Best be sure someone of credibility (NOT the recruiter) can give you the low down on how the military actively works with soldiers with AS. If they expect you to do all the adaptation/coping, you can bet there will be rough times mixed in with the good, and only you know how well you can force yourself to stick with the commitment and cope with the challenges you'll face.

Here's one thing about the military that I can understand why they do the yelling, etc: There is a REASON for it. If you are captured and being hunted by enemies, they won't be nice to you so the military has a reason for what they do. It isn't (normally) a vindictive thing, though I am sure they treat some recruits worse than others, but see what I mean? They yell at everybody! AT WORK, IN THE 'NORMAL' WORLD, there is absolutely no excuse to be yelled at and treated like dirt as an employee. It isn't combat, the boss isn't supposed to be the 'enemy', but they set it up that way. That is why I think people do well in the military when they realize there is reasoning behind it.. whereas at work, there is NO reasoning other than bullying and greed.

Preston
Raven
Raven

26 Jul 2009, 10:05 am

Sentinel wrote:
I'm in the reserve forces in Britain and I absolutely love it!
But you're in the U.K. When socializing, doesn't your squad sip tea and titter while crossing legs like a girl?

Tehe I like Brits, really.

chaddhuddon

03 May 2010, 5:09 pm

im not in the military but my uncle is (colonial in the airforce) and he has a lutenent colonial who has AS so anything is open

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 7:11 am

chaddhuddon wrote:
im not in the military but my uncle is (colonial in the airforce) and he has a lutenent colonial who has AS so anything is open

Which just goes back to how Autism/AS is a spectrum disorder. Those who are really on the "mild" end of the spectrum can learn to effectively cope with the "quirks" and achieve some impressive things with hardly anyone realizing they are autistic.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2010, 7:39 am

I spent 6 years in the US Navy, most of it on a submarine. I found it easier to handle than most of the work I've done outside of the military. The structured life was very helpful, plus there are strange people from all over the place crammed together, so you really don't stand out. I also liked not having to figure out what I wore yesterday so that I don't accidentally wear it again today, or answer the dreaded "what do you want for dinner" question. I did have some trouble with orders that made no sense to me, and I was probably never going to rise to the top ranks due to my inability to kiss ass, but sometimes it was comforting to know that I wouldn't have to meet any new people for the next 6 months. I also liked not having to squint all the time while we were at sea (my eyes are very sensitive to sunlight).

kimonline
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jul 2010, 5:33 pm

My son has been diagnosed with AS for some time now. It really helped him get through school. Now that he is 18 and has graduated, he was looking forward to a career in the Air National Guard. But, just today, he was told by the recruiter that he was not eligible because of his AS. This is even after he passed the ASFAB. (Sorry if I spelled that wrong.) We have friends in the military looking into this tomorrow. Still keeping our fingers crossed. Hope you are getting the answers you are looking for.

hitokage
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jul 2010, 2:33 am

I came across this just the other day - as of April 28, 2010 DoD Directive 6130.03 added among many things Asperger Syndrome to the medical standards - see this PDF (listed on page 42 - section starts on page 41).

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 9:47 am

hitokage wrote:
I came across this just the other day - as of April 28, 2010 DoD Directive 6130.03 added among many things Asperger Syndrome to the medical standards - see this PDF (listed on page 42 - section starts on page 41).
I wonder where I fit in? I was in the military for six months, discharged for severe homesickness. I found out later that I have AS, but my paperwork basically says that if I have a shrink saying that I am not currently depressed, I can go back in. (This was before the AS diagnosis.) :?

Future_Patriot
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Aug 2010, 12:43 am

I'm hoping to do ROTC in College. I asked around and I was told that if I get a wavier signed saying I'm fine for the military and if I get a decent score on the ASVAB I'll get in. I figured if I do ROTC I won't have to go through the crap that enlisted do (I have family members with military background). My hope is to be an intelligence officer in the army after I complete ROTC. Yes I'm an aspie.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 3:54 am

hitokage wrote:

I think some kind of campaign to repeal this is in order.