Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Anna_K
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2015, 12:03 pm

Is discrimination in the workplace against people with AS/autism a big issue today? I am a high school student thinking of applying for co-op for next year to get some workplace experience. I am debating whether or not to indicate that I have ASD, or if I should just leave it out. I don't want them to judge me based on diagnosis papers and medical records, and not accept me because of what it says.

Is it a legal issue if you don't tell them?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 12:24 pm

Yes. But, probably because employers and co-workers are unaware of what they should provide to the autistic worker. I can't find a single, easily understood, description of what tangible action(s) need to occur within a workplace for its workers with ASDs. I realize that not every worker with ASDs needs exactly the same provisions, so, by definition, any such requirement would need to appeal to the least-common denominator. In the absence of some kind of consensus, workplaces will continue to discriminate in ways that are based on misunderstanding. I would like to believe that willful discrimination isn't much of a factor in this example, just ignorance in the absence of a description of expectations.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 9:28 pm

It depends on how bad your AS is. Do you *need* accommodations or would they just make things easier even though you could function without them? What particular accommodations would you need and why? How would your AS impact your job, if at all?

If you don't actually need accommodations and your AS wouldn't really effect your job performance then there is no need to tell them. If you come across as pretty much normal in the interview then they have no reason to think you can't do the job, so why hand them a reason not to hire you? They may have had a bad experience or two in the past when hiring folks with AS, or they may have an autistic in their family who is lower functioning and they may only know of that particular type of autism so they may assume you will have trouble where you don't.

If you don't have to tell an employer you have it, don't tell them. If you are wanting to drive a point home that AS people can do the same things as NT people then don't tell them you have it, get hired and do your job well. After several months with no problems, mention to your boss that you have it. Not to ask for something special or as an excuse for a mistake, just tell him you have it, in passing. Make it out to not be important and it won't. Finding out a good, competent worker has AS will go much farther toward educating people about AS in the workplace than would struggling to get hired when an employer finds out you have it before they have any proof of your abilities.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2015, 10:32 pm

The bottom line us: you don't have to tell your employers your diagnosis. Do the job to the best of your ability. Get your paycheck. Know that you only have to endure your work while you're at work--you'll be at leisure at other times.

Again....don't give your employer a REASON to discriminate against you.

Pizzagal3000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Feb 2015, 10:55 pm

Anna_K wrote:
Is discrimination in the workplace against people with AS/autism a big issue today? I am a high school student thinking of applying for co-op for next year to get some workplace experience. I am debating whether or not to indicate that I have ASD, or if I should just leave it out. I don't want them to judge me based on diagnosis papers and medical records, and not accept me because of what it says.

Is it a legal issue if you don't tell them?

It shouldn't if it doesn't interfere with your work. And that would be wrong of them and even against the law to deny you because of autism.

bacun
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Feb 2015, 5:12 am

Don't ask don't tell.

You should never disclose the fact you have autism or w/e even if it's illegal .

It should only be pulled if you know you're about to be fired,at which point you talk to your boss and pull the "reasonable accommodations " card,unless of course lying about autism is "illegal" then you just quit before they fire you . (like joining the military )