Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 7:00 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Girls father wrote:
In terms of social communication we feel she has improved quite little in the last year.

Im sure every autistic person is unique and above all a human being, but I'd like to hear from people previously diagnosed as moderate autistic about their childhood experiences.

I'm worried about my daughters prognostic in terms of leading a functonal life and Im trying to figure how to deal with this. I love her and I know autism isnt curable. I just want her to be funcional, independent and happy.

EzraS, I feel, is the expert on this, as he's a kid, has experienced some of these therapies, was upgraded from "severe" to "moderate" autism, is non-verbal----but, he's VERY smart, and so-forth!!

Hang in there----there IS hope, for your daughter!!

I've had a lot of occupational therapy. But I've never really been too familiar with the names and types of it. From what I gather, the child is doing well. I don't see any reason not to be optimistic.

I wasn't diagnosed moderate until I was about 10 years old. Up to age 8 I acted typically severely autistic.

To the parent, you sound like the best kind of parent for an autistic child. It sounds to me like you are doing all the right stuff. I'm not sure what else to say right now. Let me know if you have any questions.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 7:02 pm

Remember: she's only four years old. And many four-year-olds, even "normal" ones, can be quite stubborn, and could even regress behaviorally. They seem to throw tantrums for no reason.

Looking at many four-year-olds, one would think they would have a poor prognosis for adult functioning. Sometimes, their behavior is out of control.

Emphasizing her strengths, gently correcting her when she needs correcting--rather than harshly criticizing her, showing your unconditional love for her, and being diligent yet gentle in intervention will definitely improve her prognosis.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 7:03 pm

Quoting is tricky on here. You have to go to the post you want to quote and press the button that says quote in the top right. It will show the quote with HTML tags and you can put your comments underneath. To quote small bits edit out the stuff you do not want to quote and just make sure you have still kept the beginning and ending tags. (The material and the brackets before and after the post.

Playing, is really the best way, in my opinion especially when they are young. We did not do anything formally other than what the school district provided -- which was speech and occupational therapy (work with fine motor skills) My son was verbal, but the reason for speech was help with pragmatic language like idioms and social language, but they did everything with games and play.

Keep in mind though, I stay at home and did a lot of interaction with him at home and so to me this was better than something where I could not actually see what the issues were and what he was open to. I read a lot, and just tried things until they clicked, but I tried always to make it fun.

We had a lot of issues with school, so I had to pull him from there, and so now, I work with him all day, which for us seems to work better because they were just not equipped to adjust enough for him. I have some experience with teaching undergraduates from my college days, so it is not too far out of my skill zone. He is much calmer and happier, and I think he is learning better because on an individual basis it is much easier to refocus someone who needs it as opposed to being in a classroom full of kids.

He is very smart, but his brain is going in many places at once, and he does need to be redirected. He is 2 years ahead in math, is in an a rigorous science program but needs help with the social content of literature and hates social studies. So, for us it is much better to teach him in a customized way. He is 12 now, and we have been doing this since 3rd grade.

Most people are not going to be able to do that, and honestly, my expectation had been that he would attend public school. His path to college and beyond is likely to be different than his peers, and he may need to take online classes at home before plunging into typical college because I am not sure where we will be in terms of him not being taken advantage by others and other issues as an unsupervised college student.

We work on life skills, also, because those are also a thing he needs work on. We work on things like interacting with the cashier at the market and having him make purchases, and he is doing much better dealing with people he does not know but needs to interact with. This may not sound very impressive, but when he was first diagnosed he was measured at .01% (not a typo---literally 1/100th of one percent, in social skills, so I am very, very proud of him.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 7:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Remember: she's only four years old. And many four-year-olds, even "normal" ones, can be quite stubborn, and could even regress behaviorally. They seem to throw tantrums for no reason.

Looking at many four-year-olds, one would think they would have a poor prognosis for adult functioning. Sometimes, their behavior is out of control.

Emphasizing her strengths, gently correcting her when she needs correcting--rather than harshly criticizing her, showing your unconditional love for her, and being diligent yet gentle in intervention will definitely improve her prognosis.

My thoughts exactly. My cousins around that age all have behavior issues like you're saying, which is normal.

My parents have had the greatest influence on my progress I believe. Especially my dad. I know it hasn't been easy for them. They've been both tough in a constrictive way and very patient and supportive. They want me to continue progressing. But at the same time, they accept me for who I am. Again, especially my dad. I also have a good relationship with my cousin and that has also been a big help.

Girls father
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Sep 2017, 8:19 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Of course you are worried about her. It has hard to venture into a great unknown, and right now the future is exactly that, a great unknown.

My son is considered high functioning but he went to school with a child who was much lower functioning. Progress can be hard to see, it comes and it goes and it crawls and it suddenly leaps. It even goes backwards. You have to stay head down, focused on the goal, and follow protocols that research and experience have shown are likely to have the best outcomes, and that your instincts feel good about (instinct and knowing your unique child are going to be two of your most important guides on this journey). Odds are good that there will be a point in time far off in the future that you will be able to say, "wow, it really was all worth it." But there are no guarantees. So many factors come into play, not the least of which will be co-morbid conditions, many of which you won't be able to know about until 5 to 10 years from now.

Remember this: the odds have never been better.

My son is thriving, which people pretty much expected he eventually would. He is actually doing a year abroad with his university right now.

The lower functioning young man is happy but not fully independent, I believe (it's been almost a year since I last saw him). He studies history, which is his special interest, and he will really talk your ear off on the subject! When I heard a local museum was looking for someone to identify and catalogue a new collection they had received, I told them to hire this young man.

All you can do is give your child the best chance possible, and know you've given it all you have.

Im glad about your son, and Im glad the lower functioning autistic man is alsó thriving cognitively, although hes not full independent. That actually something very nice

One thing I really want for my daughter is tô be aware of the world around her, and specially to be aware of herself as a person amd being able to make her own choices.

Girls father
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Sep 2017, 8:27 pm

Thank you all for the support!

Last edited by Girls father on 23 Sep 2017, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Girls father
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Sep 2017, 8:29 pm

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 9:20 pm

/\ Why did you blank-out your posts? There was NOTHING wrong with what you were saying / asking Ezra----he's VERY helpful, with things like this, cuz he can give you firsthand knowledge.....

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 10:02 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
/\ Why did you blank-out your posts? There was NOTHING wrong with what you were saying / asking Ezra----he's VERY helpful, with things like this, cuz he can give you firsthand knowledge.....

Questions were sent PM and answered.

Yeah no need for anyone to worry about asking me personal stuff regarding my autism. I'm not sensitive about it and like giving info. I've even had "ask me anything" threads in other forums where that was a popular thing to do.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 10:19 pm

EzraS wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

Questions were sent PM and answered.

Oh, GOOD----thanks, for letting us know!! I was afraid he got worried he would upset you, or something, and I was tryin' to let him know, you weren't like that.....

Girls father
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Sep 2017, 10:21 pm

Thank you very much, EzraS. Thank you CampinCat for bringing EzraS tô the topic

Girls father
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Sep 2017, 5:46 am

Sorry to ask, but do you take or ever took any psychoactive medication, EzraS?

pddtwinmom
Toucan
Toucan

24 Sep 2017, 8:24 am

You're doing all the right things! ESDM is great for increasing joint attention and pointing out how much fun it can be to play together (be social). It can take some time, though. FLoortime is another method that is wonderful for that. Lots of YouTube videos on it. I agree with the previous posters - keep playing.

Are you in the states, if you don't mind my asking? Sorry if I missed the answer.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 10:02 am

Girls father wrote:
Sorry to ask, but do you take or ever took any psychoactive medication, EzraS?

I've talked about that many times here. I take Xanax on a regular basis as needed. One time I was put on Celexa for generalized anxiety disorder. The side affects were rough on me at first, but in the long run it did the job. However, in my case, it eventually started making me act aggressive and reckless, so I was weaned off it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 10:19 am

The OP is in Portugal.

pddtwinmom
Toucan
Toucan

24 Sep 2017, 10:25 am

Ah, thanks kraftie. I saw that his first language was Portuguese, but I didn't know if he was here, in Portugal, Brazil, or another country.