Page 3 of 40 [ 626 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 40  Next

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 11:54 am

mysterious_misfit wrote:
graemephillips wrote:
Shame you can't even spell (i.e. your spelling of the word "hypocracy").

Woww, yah, Iy cant evven spel. Therfore, havin luw brians pawer, dont bothur reedin mi postes, its a totall wast ov yer tyme, sinse yuu now evrything alredy. And thanks yuu fur lettin me now haw stoopid Iy is, cuz Iy didnt now.

Mabee Iy shud go reed sum buuks 2 git smarterer......

Why can't people stick with the issue and not pick on people for a simple thing like spelling!
What's the bloody difference?! It's understandable isn't it?! A person isn't being graded on this website. Heaven forbid that you should make a human error!!

graemephillips
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Mar 2009, 11:59 am

RightGalaxy wrote:
mysterious_misfit wrote:
graemephillips wrote:

Woww, yah, Iy cant evven spel. Therfore, havin luw brians pawer, dont bothur reedin mi postes, its a totall wast ov yer tyme, sinse yuu now evrything alredy. And thanks yuu fur lettin me now haw stoopid Iy is, cuz Iy didnt now.

Why can't people stick with the issue and not pick on people for a simple thing like spelling!
What's the bloody difference?! It's understandable isn't it?! A person isn't being graded on this website. Heaven forbid that you should make a human error!!

If you are arguing with me over a scriptural matter, you should make sure to spell words correctly, otherwise I may raise questions about your attention to detail and wonder if your argument is flawed.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 1:25 pm

graemephillips wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
graemephillips wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Footnote to gramephillips:

If you prefer doing your theological research on the internet, one thing I would recommend against is googling "christian discipline." As a phrase, this has been adopted by the pro-spanking movement, which seems to have a strong internet presence. Even on the internet it gets clouded in talk of having to be careful because "people don't understand" (codeword for being TOTALLY on the fringe). The clues to how marginal some parts of that movement are are there, but you have to be aware. The internet really isn't the best place for serious theological study, IMHO, but sometimes what we have access to is limited and it's all there is.

Ok, would you suggest any websites yourself that you believe to be accurate?

I wish I could but I learned "live" and at various different denominations before doing a random search one day (triggered by something someone had posted on a message board) and discovering what was on line, which was so very different than anything and anyone I know in real life it was mind boggling.

I suppose so, especially in Northern California (depending on what part of Northern California you reside in). The image I have of Californian residents is the one portrayed in the South Park episode Smug Alert (synopsis available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smug_Alert).

Well ... I've met one or two of those, but they don't exactly populate the Christian churches around here, so I wouldn't say that the existence of a few overly strictly "PC" folks have much effect on theology discussions.

graemephillips
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Mar 2009, 5:51 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
graemephillips wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
graemephillips wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Footnote to gramephillips:

If you prefer doing your theological research on the internet, one thing I would recommend against is googling "christian discipline." As a phrase, this has been adopted by the pro-spanking movement, which seems to have a strong internet presence. Even on the internet it gets clouded in talk of having to be careful because "people don't understand" (codeword for being TOTALLY on the fringe). The clues to how marginal some parts of that movement are are there, but you have to be aware. The internet really isn't the best place for serious theological study, IMHO, but sometimes what we have access to is limited and it's all there is.

Ok, would you suggest any websites yourself that you believe to be accurate?

I wish I could but I learned "live" and at various different denominations before doing a random search one day (triggered by something someone had posted on a message board) and discovering what was on line, which was so very different than anything and anyone I know in real life it was mind boggling.

I suppose so, especially in Northern California (depending on what part of Northern California you reside in). The image I have of Californian residents is the one portrayed in the South Park episode Smug Alert (synopsis available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smug_Alert).

Well ... I've met one or two of those, but they don't exactly populate the Christian churches around here, so I wouldn't say that the existence of a few overly strictly "PC" folks have much effect on theology discussions.

I agree. The sort of people portrayed in the "Smug Alert" episode tend to follow trendy religions like Buddhism, Taoism and Kabbalah.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 10:06 am

graemephillips wrote:
RightGalaxy wrote:
mysterious_misfit wrote:
graemephillips wrote:

Just because a person may not have a lot of education doesn't mean that they are not entitled to fight for their cause. Peasants who couldn't even read have done lots of damage throughout history. So stop picking on things that don't matter...BIGSHOT!
If you are arguing with me over a scriptural matter, you should make sure to spell words correctly, otherwise I may raise questions about your attention to detail and wonder if your argument is flawed.

graemephillips
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Mar 2009, 10:30 am

RightGalaxy wrote:
graemephillips wrote:
RightGalaxy wrote:
mysterious_misfit wrote:
graemephillips wrote:

Just because a person may not have a lot of education doesn't mean that they are not entitled to fight for their cause. Peasants who couldn't even read have done lots of damage throughout history. So stop picking on things that don't matter...BIGSHOT!

In the words of Lauren Cooper, "Am I bovvered[sic]?"

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2009, 1:35 pm

In the words of Stanley Milgram, "The disappearance of a sense of responsibility is the most far-reaching consequence of submission to authority."

graemephillips
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Mar 2009, 1:57 pm

mysterious_misfit wrote:
In the words of Stanley Milgram, "The disappearance of a sense of responsibility is the most far-reaching consequence of submission to authority."

Which authority is this that I am supposedly submitting to?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 2:40 pm

graemephillips wrote:
mysterious_misfit wrote:

Oh I KNOW I should stay out of this one but I would guess that she is suggesting the human church authority and those who are supposed to speak on God's behalf, but not God himself. The former being quite fallible but powerful. Given that most of us aren't prophets who hear clearly from God directly, much of what we believe is guided by all too human elements, right down to how the Bible is supposed to be read and understood.

Graemephillips, you do realize that in your persistence on the spelling issue you are acting like the owner of the Prius just on a different matter? We all have our different quirks as to where the most attention needs to be paid and what should be taken most seriously, but it is good to remember that these are OUR quirks and not mandates for the full population that allow us to use them in judgment.

Fortunately for me, at least I'm on the browser with spell check today ;)

graemephillips
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Mar 2009, 3:51 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
graemephillips wrote:
mysterious_misfit wrote:

Oh I KNOW I should stay out of this one but I would guess that she is suggesting the human church authority and those who are supposed to speak on God's behalf, but not God himself. The former being quite fallible but powerful. Given that most of us aren't prophets who hear clearly from God directly, much of what we believe is guided by all too human elements, right down to how the Bible is supposed to be read and understood.

Graemephillips, you do realize that in your persistence on the spelling issue you are acting like the owner of the Prius just on a different matter? We all have our different quirks as to where the most attention needs to be paid and what should be taken most seriously, but it is good to remember that these are OUR quirks and not mandates for the full population that allow us to use them in judgment.

Fortunately for me, at least I'm on the browser with spell check today ;)

This is ridiculous. Why do people think that if a person holds right-wing opinions, (s)he is doing so because of a more powerful earthly entity ruling them and that holding left-wing opinions is somehow intellectual?

If anyone thinks I hold my views on scripture because some more powerful earthly force than myself, I invite him/her to substantiate the accusation.

I dislike poor spelling because I think it is simply lazy and rude to use incorrect spellings when writing to someone, especially with the large number of automated spell checkers around.

I can't deny that I have committed the very grave sin of being smug sometimes (Luke 18:9-14), but I hope I never sink to the level of the horrible San Franciscan liberals in the "Smug Alert" episode.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2009, 5:04 pm

graemephillips wrote:

I dislike poor spelling because I think it is simply lazy and rude to use incorrect spellings when writing to someone, especially with the large number of automated spell checkers around.

I can't deny that I have committed the very grave sin of being smug sometimes (Luke 18:9-14), but I hope I never sink to the level of the horrible San Franciscan liberals in the "Smug Alert" episode.

On the last paragraph, I would say not - that was a parody. Few get that extreme. I just wanted you to think about it. Fair?

On the first paragraph I've put in the quote, it isn't always that simple. You have to have the right browser and if not that then you have to the right tools loaded, AND a decent connection speed, otherwise the effort to spell check can take 4 times as long as writing the post. You can't force someone to share your priorities on that. Then there is the fact that quite a few AS - like my son - have extreme difficulty with spelling and someone like my son can't even get close enough to USE spell check most of the time. We're working on that with him because I can't deny that proper spelling is extremely important in real life, but boards like this one are supposed to be where people with certain difficulties are freed from the pressure related to those difficulties. With spelling issues being one of the many potential co-morbids to AS, a little leniency should be applied in this forum.

AND, just to be clear, with someone like my son, the inability to spell doesn't reflect on overall intelligence, because he has still tested gifted despite the huge drag spelling and similar issues put on his scores. He'll never try to debate anyone on spelling; he is smart enough to realize he is and always will be clueless on that; but he would love to have a spiritual debate and you would be surprised by the insight an 11 year old can have. He's been the teacher's pet every year at religion class because of it. So does bad spelling = an inability to say something insightful about theology? Of course not. Those comments really had no place in this discussion, not that I would normally have said anything about it. Like I said, I should have SO stayed out of your back and worth with the other poster, lol, but sometimes I just want to talk even though I know I shouldn't ;)

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2009, 9:40 am

graemephillips wrote:
mysterious_misfit wrote:

Your imaginary god's authority.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2009, 9:59 am

Back to the original topic. My son has some mixed feelings about my being an Aspie. The negative is that I am not social and don't hang out with his buddie's parents. I am also very reclusive which other's find odd. I am absolutely clueless when it comes to reading emotions and don't pick up on when there is something bothering him. The positive is that I give him a lot of freedom. I don't push him to be perfect but I do expect him to give school his, 100% effort. If he gives something 100% effort and doesn't do well that is okay because I know he did the best he could. I am someone who goes to work everyday and have become quite successful. He is seeing that slow and steady wins the race. His mother, my ex-wife, is an emotional NT train wreck and he clearly sees that that is not a good way to be. There is no such thing as a perfect parent. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. All we can do is to try the best we can and learn from our mistakes.

graemephillips
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Mar 2009, 7:21 am

Metal_Man wrote:
Back to the original topic. My son has some mixed feelings about my being an Aspie. The negative is that I am not social and don't hang out with his buddie's parents. I am also very reclusive which other's find odd. I am absolutely clueless when it comes to reading emotions and don't pick up on when there is something bothering him. The positive is that I give him a lot of freedom. I don't push him to be perfect but I do expect him to give school his, 100% effort. If he gives something 100% effort and doesn't do well that is okay because I know he did the best he could. I am someone who goes to work everyday and have become quite successful. He is seeing that slow and steady wins the race. His mother, my ex-wife, is an emotional NT train wreck and he clearly sees that that is not a good way to be. There is no such thing as a perfect parent. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. All we can do is to try the best we can and learn from our mistakes.

Absolutely. I believe there are plenty of A.S. parents who do the job far better than many N.T. parents. I wouldn't be happy about children of mine having a train-wreck mother. How much of his time does your son spend with you and how much with his mother roughly?

Jimbeaux
Toucan
Toucan

09 Mar 2009, 9:24 am

mysterious_misfit wrote:
I just came up with a possible connection, and would like some feedback. I think that spanking causes sensory integration to get worse. Just think of all the therapies necessary for kids with SPD to learn to enjoy the feelings their body gives them. Brushing, and swimming, and horse riding, and touching different textures, etc. Just think of what spanking does to a child from the viewpoint of sensory integration. Some parents (and kids) work so hard just to make hugging tolerable, can you imagine what spanking does to a child's brain? :(

You have to chose punishment appropriate to the child. Spanking IS quite effective with many children. My dad spanked me, and it was effective. With my girlfriend's son, he is not mine so I will always defer to her. Acceptable forms of punishment for him:
1) Taking away computer time. This is the most effective.
2) Making him sit alone in his room for a certain amount of time.
3) Spanking has no meaning to him. By the time it would be effective, it could really hurt him. Therefor mom will occasionally pinch his butt when he deserves it.
4) The most extreme: Mom takes him home and the weekend with me ends. We only did this once, when a good friend killed himself and Billy said he didn't care and freaked out because I wouldn't show him how to play a computer game RIGHT NOW!

As far as cherry picking, most people cherry pick EVERYTHING! INCLUDING modern studies on child discipline. One study shows that spanking a child breaks down trust, but another one says NOT spanking your child leads to a lack of discipline and a higher chance of being incarcerated later in life. So we cherry pick, as you can get conflicting information on EVERYTHING!

But when you see wisdom in something and choose to follow it, in a lot of people (at least for me), asking questions is what got us there in the first place, so I don't see any problem with people relying on a source of wisdom as their primary instruction guide to life, as long as you aren't hurting anyone else (like blowing yourself up to kill people that disagree with you).

ster
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2009, 9:56 am

back to the original topic, indeed !
i think that having a father with AS has taught my children patience, and respect for diversity. they realize better than most kids that everyone has a tolerance level- some people can tolerate lots of noise & crowds, while others cannot. everyone has things they are good at , and things they struggle with.