Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 6:44 am

I don't think obsidian has the tech skills to develop a new game engine. Their games usually have great content but are extremely buggy.

Looks like obsidian and inexile (the OG fallout crew) are working together on some projects. It would be fun to see a fallout game adapted to the Wasteland 2 engine.

That could happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 9:17 am

The same kinda happened with the Elder Scrolls series. Oblivion (predecessor of Skyrim) was a HIGHLY immerse RPG with lots character customization and details! Then Skyrim came along and nerfed pretty much everything! (even the character creator wasn't much fun! :x ) Combat was simplified and the decisions you've made through the course of the game didn't really give you any Mass Effect-esque consequences (something that Dragon Age: Origins got right :wink: ).

So yeah, Bethesda's history is repeating itself once again.

The only thing that IS different from Fallout 4 and Skyrim is how NPC treat your character. In Skyrim, NPC's react differently according to your character's race and what you said/done to them, Although it doesn't really change the way the overall narrative goes, but it gives you a little bit of a sense of agency; the feeling that your actions actually are impacting the game (even though you really aren't changing anything). Also, They are enemies in Skyrim that would actually make you crap your pants at lower levels just like the Deathclaws would in the Fallout series (Giants, Saber Cats, Hagrovens and sometimes even Dragons! :D ).

So yes, in my humble opinion, I think even the Nerfed Skyrim has a lot more detail than Fallout 4! (I think Fallout 4 tries way too hard to be like Bioware's Mass Effect series judging by how you make decisions in game).

-Thomas Jefferson

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2015, 9:20 pm

I've never played any Skyrim games nor Fallout games, and I don't intend to do so anytime soon. It's a Final Fantasy life for me! :D

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 2:42 pm

[sarcasm]

Nice to know it only took two games for Bethesda to ruin the Fallout franchise.

[/sarcasm]

One can hope, though.

Splinter Cell was a great game with many followers. Then, UbiSoft did some brain-dead changes that took most everything people loved of the game out (SC: Double Agent). The next title (SC: Conviction) was considered to be even worse. It seems the latest title (SC: Blacklist) got very good reviews because they went back to the things that made the game great (SC: Chaos Theory).

Perhaps Bethesda will learn likewise, but frankly, for all the beauty of Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, the die hard Fallout fans felt Bethesda gutted much of what made Fallout what they came to love.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 2:47 pm

Doesn't anyone think that Fallout 4 is ripping off the Mass Effect series?

-Thomas Jefferson

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 11:31 pm

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
The same kinda happened with the Elder Scrolls series. Oblivion (predecessor of Skyrim) was a HIGHLY immerse RPG with lots character customization and details! Then Skyrim came along and nerfed pretty much everything! (even the character creator wasn't much fun! :x ) Combat was simplified and the decisions you've made through the course of the game didn't really give you any Mass Effect-esque consequences (something that Dragon Age: Origins got right :wink: ).

Ever play Morrowind? People who played it said the exact same things when Oblivion came out, and the people before that who'd played Daggerfall said the same things about Morrowind.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2015, 5:05 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Ever play Morrowind? People who played it said the exact same things when Oblivion came out, and the people before that who'd played Daggerfall said the same things about Morrowind.

So the moral of this post is: Haters are gonna hate :lol:

-Thomas Jefferson

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2015, 5:59 pm

^...and people will still try to breed a Rainbow Chocobo to go into outer space to find the Onyx WEAPON to resurrect Aeris...

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2015, 6:18 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Not "the same people", I'm talking about Oblivion. I couldn't care less what engines Bethesda use.

Whoops :oops: Too bad it's way too late to be able to edit that post =| Maybe nobody noticed =)

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 10:38 pm

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
So the moral of this post is: Haters are gonna hate :lol:

Nah, more like "old gamers are always going to complain about kids these days", especially if said older gamer came up with genuinely Nintendo hard games. The funny thing with TES games and Bethesda games generally is that most of the "nerfs" have to do with quality of life improvements to the games, like money actually had weight in Daggerfall, so they had to have banks to store it in, where as Morrowind just made money weightless and did away with the hassle, but people complained anyway. Sometimes you just can't win...

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 11:38 am

Something that bothers me about the newer games is the level-scaled loot: "Your character is low level, therefore all weapons and equipment you can get will be crap."
Once you've got a couple hundred hit points to your name you can have some better gear, but of course by then it makes less of a difference.

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2015, 4:36 pm

staremaster wrote:
Something that bothers me about the newer games is the level-scaled loot: "Your character is low level, therefore all weapons and equipment you can get will be crap."
Once you've got a couple hundred hit points to your name you can have some better gear, but of course by then it makes less of a difference.

Well yeah, but at least they keep you exited by constantly leveling up at earlier levels.

-Thomas Jefferson

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 12:56 pm

^^^ Go gun shopping in vault 81.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 4:57 pm

^^ Its a catch-22; you need good stats and gear to survive the ghouls and open the locks. That riot shotgun is a true game-changer, though. Honest Hearts provides some good hardware for completing it, too.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 8:04 pm

staremaster wrote:

I heard you can find the power armor right near the beginning of the game, though >_<

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2015, 1:51 am

staremaster wrote:
^^ Its a catch-22; you need good stats and gear to survive the ghouls and open the locks. That riot shotgun is a true game-changer, though. Honest Hearts provides some good hardware for completing it, too.

You're thinking of Vault 34 in New Vegas, he's talking about a particular weapon that can be bought fairly early in Fallout 4 at Vault 81, a two shot combat rifle that can get you through the whole game. Incidentally, if I were from a vault, I'd definitely be from 34.