I did it again, I'm bad (World of Warcraft)

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

26 Feb 2017, 3:49 am

Been playing again and was enjoying it for a while. But that same feeling from before is creeping up on me. I'll try and be brief here.

Being inhibited by elitist groups wanting huge, ludicrous requirements is off-putting. I just like to get into something, complete it, and then that is that. I was trying to find a group that would allow me to kill Gul'dan (the one guy everyone hates) and complete a specific quest. But I kept getting rejected every time, and the few groups I got into weren't anywhere close to him (you can't just warp straight to a certain boss). Rejection is bad enough in real life, but to see it happen in a game too, it's just terrible.

So yeah, I'm sorry...I guess? I've been playing the very thing I said I wouldn't ever again. I should just accept that the game isn't what I would like it to be, and just abandon it completely.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2017, 4:19 am

Again, why not just find something else that scratches the same itch yet doesnt have the sucky aspects?

I mean, WoW is... old at this point. Really old. Most games of this genre would have shut down at the age that one is now at. There's been.... soooooooo many others released since it came out. Chances are, you could find something that you like alot more, but is in the same genre. Preferrably something with a better community of course.

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

26 Feb 2017, 10:05 pm

I logged on this morning and got into a group. Quest finished, etc etc. Finding the right group for specific things can be challenging itself at times.

I have been playing another game recently; Heroes of the Storm. Blizzard's answer to a MOBA game. I like it a little better than LoL and Dota, because HotS's community has, so far, not been a toxic waste-dump. The only niggly thing about HotS is that you have to buy characters you want to use. Either that or use them when their turn in the free-rotation comes up.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 2:53 am

dan_aspie wrote:
I logged on this morning and got into a group. Quest finished, etc etc. Finding the right group for specific things can be challenging itself at times.

I have been playing another game recently; Heroes of the Storm. Blizzard's answer to a MOBA game. I like it a little better than LoL and Dota, because HotS's community has, so far, not been a toxic waste-dump. The only niggly thing about HotS is that you have to buy characters you want to use. Either that or use them when their turn in the free-rotation comes up.

Well, they do have to make money somehow, after all.

I'll warn you though that you are likely to run into the toxic asshats in that game as well. If it's a competitive game, it has toxic jerks in it... simple as that. I'd just mute them when they appear.

It's just not AS bad as it is in those other two (which are outright legendary for it now).

Honestly I'd probably play any of those three myself if that aspect wasnt so freaking bad. I really just dont want to deal with it. These days I just dont play multiplayer games anymore as I dont see the point. Angry jerks suck all the fun out.

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

27 Feb 2017, 4:20 am

I made a partial mistake when I said you have to pay for extra characters. Like LoL, HotS has in-game currency that you acquire from just playing the game. This can unlock characters and skins. Using real-money just expedites the process. Characters also level up and can (if memory serves) get a free skin when they reach a certain level. These are just cosmetic and don't affect how they fight whatsoever.

I'm not trying to disprove you Misery, but thus far I haven't encountered any negativity in HotS. That being said, I'm sure it's there somewhere. I've only being playing it recently because a cool mount for WoW was achievable via playing HotS matches.

Also hit a bit of a "null point" in WoW anyway. With that aforementioned quest now complete, there's almost nothing to do - besides get better gear, until the next content-rich patch comes out (ETA unknown).

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 4:25 am

dan_aspie wrote:
I made a partial mistake when I said you have to pay for extra characters. Like LoL, HotS has in-game currency that you acquire from just playing the game. This can unlock characters and skins. Using real-money just expedites the process. Characters also level up and can (if memory serves) get a free skin when they reach a certain level. These are just cosmetic and don't affect how they fight whatsoever.

I'm not trying to disprove you Misery, but thus far I haven't encountered any negativity in HotS. That being said, I'm sure it's there somewhere. I've only being playing it recently because a cool mount for WoW was achievable via playing HotS matches.

Also hit a bit of a "null point" in WoW anyway. With that aforementioned quest now complete, there's almost nothing to do - besides get better gear, until the next content-rich patch comes out (ETA unknown).

Out of curiosity: How many matches have you done in HotS so far? Do you communicate to the other players often, or are you more silent usually?

If the community has somehow gotten less sucky, I might actually consider giving it another try myself. I always really liked the ideas behind the moba genre, but, well.... you know, LoL and Dota have enough toxicity to knock anyone away from the genre. Which is a real shame, because they have so much potential to be loads of fun with lots of depth. Though I never liked Dota's super-irritating focus on last-hits really.

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

27 Feb 2017, 5:23 am

Every match ever in HotS? I'd say about 40-45. Somewhere in that area. I keep to myself unless something of concern happens.

HotS doesn't focus on items or last hits. The experience earned is shared between all players, and characters progress via skill-altering talents (increasing range, bonus damage, etc).Matches can be with friends via battle.net (Blizzard's game client thing, like uPlay only infinitely-less annoying), against randoms, or against AI.

Characters also come from all of Blizzard's IPs; World of Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, Overwatch, and even the Lost Vikings.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 7:02 am

You know GW2 is really similar to WoW and it's just like a friendly version of it and way more accepting of people, maybe try that instead? You can even solo play a lot of the game if you want, apart from raids.

I went back to WoW to try legion and I think the game in general is just way worse for elitists. Then I quit the sub and just went back to GW2 cause it's friendlier, even though I barely play but if I was gonna play an mmo properly again I think I'd just go there.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2017, 8:12 am

dan_aspie wrote:
Every match ever in HotS? I'd say about 40-45. Somewhere in that area. I keep to myself unless something of concern happens.

HotS doesn't focus on items or last hits. The experience earned is shared between all players, and characters progress via skill-altering talents (increasing range, bonus damage, etc).Matches can be with friends via battle.net (Blizzard's game client thing, like uPlay only infinitely-less annoying), against randoms, or against AI.

Characters also come from all of Blizzard's IPs; World of Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, Overwatch, and even the Lost Vikings.

Hmmmmmm.

I actually might give it another try, then. I have played it before, but that was awhile ago. At the time I was forced to stop because my arm kept giving out (sigh). That's better now though. What I've seen of the game though shows alot of potential. Granted, I can say the same with LoL and Dota but, again, jerkwads. I tell ya this: I wish we were in an age where AI had advanced enough to not freaking suck. I'd love to just play against bots in these, but they provide no challenge and are dumber than a sack of hammers.

Hm, here's another thought, as far as the WoW thing goes: Have you tried anything such as Diablo, Grim Dawn, or Path of Exile? You might get the sort of experience you want out of one of those. There's also the Marvel one, I *think* it's called Marvel Heroes but I know little about it.

I mean, really, you should try out some other things. There's been so many advancements since WoW came out, and who knows what you might be missing out on that you could end up really loving.

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

28 Feb 2017, 2:47 am

I've tried both Diablo 3 and PoE before. The latter didn't appeal to me much, but I enjoyed the former for a short while. Having to grind near-endlessly for the best stuff did not seem too appealing to me though. I'm aware such a thing also happens in WoW as well.

But I uninstalled WoW earlier today anyway and cancelled my subscription. It felt like the right thing to do. I don't have to play the game to enjoy the story and the cinematics.

Like right now, I go through periods where I don't have much of an interest in computer games, if any at all. Growing out of them maybe? Who knows.

EDIT: I still want to try out Skyrim though. It looks interesting, and so very moddable.

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

01 Mar 2017, 12:08 am

I tried out Skyrim for a while. I'm surprised that it did not appeal to me as much as I thought it would. Fortunately Steam's refund service is very good, so I haven't lost out.

Misery, with WoW, I have up and down periods. Sometimes I will like/love it and enjoy the gameplay, the thrill of achieving a goal, or the joy of destroying a hated enemy like Gul'dan (seriously I'm sure many players were glad to see him dead). But other times I can't stand it. Such times involve being repeatedly and endlessly denied entry into a group, or when I have to wait around for X mins/hrs for something to happen. Sometimes I just don't want to sit for who-knows-how-long. But if a friend wants to hang out, or my parents/cat need me for something, I leave the game (no save option, so I just get somewhere secure first if possible) and go do that instead.

I've seen horror stories about WoW and other games, and they shock and scare me!! :(

Also I'm "forced" to use a rotation-automating bot thing because I have difficulty monitoring on-screen action AND what keys to press simultaneously. Many would say it's cheating. They might be right, but it helps me play something that would otherwise be nigh-unplayable.

It has also been the only game I've played long-term for some time now. Others have piqued my interest before, but they haven't lasted as long. Single-player games don't last too long once I've gone through them. I completed CoD:AW in 3-4 days, and Starcraft 2's third-part trilogy in the same time.

Certain games are only fun for me when I have someone to play with, and I don't mean faceless online multiplayer. Splintercell Blacklist, any of the CoDs, Beat Hazard, Warframe, L4D2, Sins of a Solar Empire, Gears of War, Resident Evil 5-6, any fighting or racing game ever. My best mate has most of those on Steam just as I do, but his PC is currently busted, so it's not an option right now.

I'm not sure how to sum this up. I'm sorry, it is quite a lot to read. There was just a fair bit to tell. Make of it what you will. Ask me anything.

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

09 Mar 2017, 7:23 am

Been playing still. It was alright for a while, but now other things have come up.

My car needs to be registered soon. Also I'm thinking of ditching PC gaming in favour of console gaming. First, I'd be sitting on a couch in my loungeroom in a social environment (parents, cat). Second, others can join in. Third, couch gaming would be more comfortable than sitting at a desk in my opinion.

I've considered selling my WoW account before. Hasn't worked out. Might as well just let it gather dust, as they say.