Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 8:42 am

I really love the look of this game. The hand drawn textures and subject matter are right out of Heavy Metal!

So, the game is billed as an RPG/Shooter.

I love games like New Vegas (which I played like a shooter) and action/adventure games like Red Dead Redemption, but I'm not a big fan of pure shooters...

Like I said, I love the look and premise of Borderlands, but all the gameplay videos make it seem like just another shooter game and that really puts me off.

My question for anyone who's played the game: Would Borderlands appeal to someone who likes games like New Vegas (RPG with shooter elements)?

Or, is this just another shooter more or less?

Rimfire21
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Oct 2011, 9:16 am

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I also am a huge fan of the two games you mentioned (fallout/red dead), and I loved Borderlands. Admittedly, I do enjoy more straightforward shooters as well, but Borderlands is different enough that you should really enjoy it.

It has questing elements, skill trees for when you level up, and a huge array of randomly generated weaponry drops to scratch your looting itch :lol: It is also fantastic when played cooperatively with some friends.

Get it! And then get ready for Borderlands 2.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 11:19 am

GoonSquad wrote:
Or, is this just another shooter more or less?

It is more of a "You cannot reach the activation server right now" crap that lasted for a few days, eventually got tired, uninstalled and never looked back. At least i got it cheap...

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 11:58 am

I love Fallout but I don't like Borderlands.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 12:03 pm

I think that it is different enough, Borderlands characters can have abilities to mix things up, my fave is the Siren that can turn invisible, and with greater levels use it to heal or melt people.

The guns are also pretty much random loot, that means that what you pick up, and will likely use will be different to another person, from different elements, bizare quirks (like swirving rockets, or a shotgun that shoots rockets), or amazing once sided stats that can be usefull in specific situations. You wont have say the different dialogue choices, and other skills of Fallout, but the range of effects from guns make up for it. You also have driving parts, which kind if mix things up.

Also is generally entertaining with funny dialogue, and references. Some of the web videos are also good fun with the egotistic robot.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 1:52 am

I'm on the fence.

A friend of mine left borderlands at my place a while ago and last weekend I played it for like 3-4 hours. It is fun for sure but at least in the early stages it is basically a typical shooter.

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 6:26 am

never really liked orderlands, too arcade, rage on the other hand does a much better job.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 10:55 am

Oodain wrote:
never really liked orderlands, too arcade, rage on the other hand does a much better job.

Rage is average, with some serious flaws and not much replay value. Borderlands is cool and has a couple of excellent expansions. And its giant vagina monster ( 8O ) is still better than Rage's ending.

The year is still young.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2011, 12:43 pm

Thanks for the opinions, all...

If the expansions are good, I guess I should look for a copy of the GoTY edition.

I think I'll give the game a try later on.

Starting next Tuesday my gaming card will be full for a good, long time! :batman:

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2011, 3:03 pm

Rather liked that game until, for some reason, my installation died and now refuses to start up. But, unfortunately, its a bit too difficult to finish in single player without enabling cheat mode. If I recall correctly, your character advances in levels (up to level 33 or 35, I forget). If you are fighting enemies of the same level , the game is managable, and if they are more than 1 or 2 levels below you you can pretty much dominate. But the reverse is true also - when the monsters are higher level than you, they deal you more damage and your weapons deal them less damage. If they're 5 levels or more higher than you, you pretty much can't hurt them. The level of the enemies seem to be set by the level you're at when you first go to a particular geographic area in the game. Often they'll be way above your level when you first go there. Later on when you go back they'll be below your level assuming you're progressed your level. For the boss monsters especially you need to be at a higher level when you actually fight them.

The randomly generated weapons are cool - basically there's several types of weapons (if I recall correctly, pistols, SMG's, machine guns, rifles and one or two others), several sub types of each weapon and then they all have various attributes (like a rifle scope of varying power, how fast they fire, etc.) and they can do special types of damage (fire, electric, poison, ice). Some types of creatures are mostly immune to certain damage types and more vulnerable to others - i.e. ice spiders very vulnerable to fire damage.