Next generation consoles. What is your "strategy"?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Larsen80
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 May 2013, 12:21 pm

I just recently bought a PS3, being well aware that old news and a PS4 is scheduled to appear before the end of 2013. It is my first console since NES! After NES all my gaming has been on Amiga, GameBoy and PC. My preference for PC was in part was the variety of games - strategy, real time strategy, shooters and RPG (in a broad definition) such as Diablo II and WoW. Another thing is the price range - if newest releases isn't a must for you, a PC game doesn't cost more than buying a film or going to the cinema.

My "problem" then was:

- WoW has become crap. The gameplay is broken on so many levels with each new expansion or patch. This fantastic game experience I had in the early days will not come back, and I'm not aware of any good similar game (I know there are though!)
- add to that, that I'm not really interested in such longterm commitment to a game again :-) I just want a quick rush and move on to the next game.
- My (albeit fully functioning) PC is now too old to play even older games on reasonably high graphics settings, and I can't get myself to buy a new just for the sake of gaming.

Therefore I bought PS3, and now I will just go grab the best titles at the lowest prices. I found an inspiring list here http://www.ign.com/blogs/chief_rocka/20 ... n-consoles

Any recommendations on other games one should play before PS3 goes to the scrapheap?

What are your gaming plans for the time to come - PC, consoles, portables?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 1:08 pm

Newest consoles I have are the Wii, the original XBox, and the 3DS...don't really see much incentive to upgrade (though some of the WiiU exclusives look nice), especially when most of the 360 games are way cheaper on Steam.

Depending on your computer, it might be dirt cheap to upgrade it, rather than buying an entirely new tower (or whatever kids use these days). Certainly much cheaper than buying a PS3 (though I suppose maybe the used ones can be had for a decent price). You could probably get away with just buying a new video card, if your motherboard supports PCIe.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 1:26 pm

I don't see myself buying a next-gen console, be it PS4, Wii U, etc. The relentless emphasis on online services isn't going to fade away. It looks like complicated single player games for nerds are becoming a thing of the past, with the possible exception of JRPGs.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

25 May 2013, 1:34 pm

"My preference for PC was in part was the variety of games" I find that pretty weird considering PC has the least variety in genres of any platform.

Anyway, my strategy is as following. I'm planning to buy a Wii U next January. Since both PS4 and X1 are being released in November, it's only normal to assume Wii U is getting a pricedrop. I'm hoping to pick up a bundle with a game and a pro controller for 300. But I'd still have to spend more money on Wiimote, Nunchuck and Wii classic controller (I seriously hate the other controllers) so I can pick up and play the few gems Wii has seen (mostly Zelda and JRPG's.)
I'm going to buy a PS4 a year after.

And a friend of mine is selling his gaming rig, going to buy it when I have the money.

That way I'll be able to enjoy 90% of all great games the coming generation. Just not the Xbox One games, because I don't feel like wasting money on that glorified remote control..

minervx
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 2:11 pm

Keep my PC, which is already on par with PS4/X1. Then upgrade it whenever I need to.

Buy the Wii U sometime this or next year.

Then, that's it.

Cai85
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2013, 2:45 pm

Wait and see what the new consoles actually do and how they function before deciding on a commitment.

I'm mostly a PC gamer these days (I have a PS3 and Wii), but can't seem to get any enthusiasm for this next generation coming up. Maybe if one of the systems comes out with a few amazing games I'll change my mind.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 3:23 pm

Cai85 wrote:
Wait and see what the new consoles actually do and how they function before deciding on a commitment.

+1

Once I see what each really do, I'll weigh that against PC gaming.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 3:37 pm

I'm going to see how long my XBox 360 lasts. After that go back to PC gaming.

I may wind up using a modest Desktop PC or Laptop to do casual gaming with something like EVE Online. It depends on what I can do with my budget.

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 4:24 pm

Xbox one: Eeeeehhh.... NO!
PS4: Not too bad but I don't find the exclusives interesting. Not getting it.
Wii U: Interesting exclusives but at the moment too expensive. Will wait for a big price drop and them I might considering buying it purely for the "Mario" games.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 5:18 pm

Already have WiiU, likely getting PS4. I'm expecting great things from the NIS and ATLUS exclusives this gen.

Author/Writer

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 8:46 pm

Don't bother over here.

Games I like usually aren't made for consoles, and the odd one I do like, say the Mass Effect series and the new Deus Ex, they're on the PC anyway.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 10:33 pm

From the NES to the PS3, quite the home console jump there. My plan is to upgrade my existing PC when Intel's Haswell line is rolled out and skip the home consoles. Can't justify £400 for one of these things when my PC can out power them for less with my planned upgrades that will be able to do much more than just play games. I might get a PS4 and Wii U later in their life cycles when they're cheap, if they have exclusives that catch my eye.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 10:51 pm

I'll buy a PS3 after this Christmas.

No, that's not a typo. I want to explore their catalog of JRPG exclusives, and I'm hoping PS3 console prices will go down a bit after the PS4 gets released.

So, yeah, that's my plan.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 11:17 pm

I'll buy a PS4 when its cost is justified by it having enough games that I want to play. Maybe earlier depending on the facts when they are released.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 12:05 am

Get an Xbox One near launch to play Forza, see if it's any good as a console, and if not I'll stick to that one game and use my 360 for everything else. Maybe go PC. If it is good for my usage (meaning the online crap isn't too intrusive and I can get to/through the music menu with reasonable speed) I'll stick to it.

You will reap what you've sown.

beer1982
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 May 2013, 3:30 am

My Strategy is a always: Buy the nintnedo console on launch day and use a good pc. Then Xbox and PS-serie has nothing left for me