Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 9:25 am

Hi, I've never owned a Final Fantasy game before, but i was thinking of getting Final Fantasy III on DS after my exams were over. All I know is that it's a great RPG with updated 3D graphics and that it is a remake of the NES version. Also note two things, I don't own an NES and I live in the UK so Final Fantasy III never came out over here.

So could you please tell me more about it so that I can raise my anticipation (my exams finish on 21 June) and discuss the topic here.

If this topic has been done before then please tell me. I can't be bothered to look back that far in the forum.

Vegasadelphia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 May 2007, 10:41 am

I would be careful about picking that title up if you have never played a Final Fantasy game before. I would suggest FF VI (FF 3 when first released to non Asian markets): http://gameboy.ign.com/objects/774/774643.html

After VI, I would suggest IV: http://gameboy.ign.com/objects/771/771903.html

Both are for the GBA which play on the DS. Both are great games, and a much better experience than III. III concentrates on a job system and feels less like a FF than it should, so I would pick up the GBA games first.

FFVII is still my all time favorite, and can be easily found for Playstation and be played on a PS1 or PS2.

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2007, 11:36 am

That's a nice idea but the thing is, I was hoping to get a DS RPG (one that is half decent and not something that is Pokémon). But I might consider getting FFVI when I've got enough cash later in the year.

Also, isn't each Final Fantasy different from each other? Since FFVI concentrates on Espers and FFIII on a job system, that's one difference. And in FFII you have to buy upgrades from a shop. I would like to play a tradional RPG that has similar mechanics to modern games. (Please note: I know this information from reading magazines so I might be wrong, sorry if I am).

Also, when is FFVI released in Europe on GBA?

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2007, 4:33 am

I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan but I couldn't in a million years recommend FFIII as an introduction to the series. It's outdated in every way but the graphics. If you have a DS and want a good FF experience, I'd recommend going for FFVI and FFIV for the GBA, which are both available cheap on ebay.

If you just want a good JRPG for your DS, probably the best thing to do is wait for Dragon Quest IX, and perhaps the FFIV remake. I've heard good things about the Mario & Luigi series though. The two Castlevania games are also RPG-ish, in the style of Wonderboy/Zelda 2. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl might also be worth your money, though personally I find them to be a bit too similar to previous Pokemon games.

Advance Wars DS isn't really an RPG, though it has RPG elements. It's a turn-based strategy game, and easily one of the best games on the system, and in the genre.

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 6:21 am

Thanks. I'm aware that Pokémon Diamond and Pearl are very similar to previous games which is why I'm not going to get them. My brother still wants to get one of them though.

Also I've found out that FFVI is out in June over here so I might get that. Paper Mario 2 sounds good as well but I'm going a bit Off Topic. I still would like FFIII but maybe I'm the sort of person who likes to plan everything. My friend also would like to get this game, but then he's played FFVII.

Don't you think it would be good if FFVII came out on DS?

I heard FFXII was coming out on DS too.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2007, 3:50 pm

Me want, but me more inclined to want PSP

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 8:04 am

You're going to wait until June to get FFVI? Just buy it off ebay new or used from America/Canada, you'll get it waaay cheaper. Just make sure not to buy it from Hong Kong, those are bootlegs.

And if you do decide to buy FFIII, do the same thing. Buy it off ebay. Even new, you can expect to get it a lot cheaper.

If you're itching for a new DS game, which I'm sure you are (who buys a DS to play GBA games, really?) then I'd say wait for the good RPGs to come out and get something from another genre for now. Based on what I've played, these are a few recommendations:

Advance Wars: Dual Strike - Accessible turn based strategy game which has similarities to Fire Emblem, if you've played that (and you should if you like RPGs, as Fire Emblem is an excellent Strategy-RPG). Makes good use of the dual screens and can be controlled completely with the stylus, although you can use the D-pad if you wish. I think you can play this with up to four players, even with just one DS.

Elite Beat Agents - This is a rhythm game similar to Dance Dance Revolution or Guitar Hero where you have to use the stylus to do actions to the beat of a variety of music from artists such as Deep Purple, the Village People and Avril Lavigne. Sounds surprisingly good and makes good use of the dual screens. Challenging at harder difficulty settings.

Trauma Centre - You perform surgery on patients using the stylus. The game isn't a simulator though and is very easy to get into. It's a game you can play in short spurts or marathon sessions if you wish. It also uses both screens to decent effect. Can get difficult quickly and requires fast reflexes - this is a 'twitch' style game.

Animal Crossing: Wild World - A bit like The Sims in that there is no goal, and you just live in a small town doing little things to earn money and befriend the townsfolk. Excellent if you like this sort of game. It's been compared to Harvest Moon, if you know that game. Can be controlled with the stylus or the D-pad.

Puyo Pop Fever - This isn't a game that gets great reviews, but I'm a rabid fan of this game. It gets labelled a Tetris-clone but it's waaay more fun than Tetris ever was. With a single cart you can play with up to 7 other players, although I've never had the opportunity to play against more than one person. Excellent in multiplayer, not quite as fun in single player although the AI in this game is considerably better than in previous installments. Doesn't really tax the hardware though and this could've been done on the GBA - although this has WiFi support if that means anything to you.

Nintendogs - OK, this is my sister's game but I think it's an easy recommendation. Basically it's a really, really well-produced high-budget Tamagotchi clone. You have a choice of several puppies to buy at the start and you have to feed it, wash it, take it for walks and such. You can teach it its name using the mic and to do tricks like sitting, rolling over and catching balls which you throw with the stylus. The dogs look really life like and are easily the best 3D models I've seen on the DS, including those in FFIII. Really, this game took me by surprise as I thought at first 'why would I spend my money on an elaborate Tamagotchi?' but then was wowed when I actually saw it. Then again, I don't really play it and can imagine myself being bored with it after a while as there isn't actually that much to do in the game. You can collect various items and enter your dog in competitions but that's it. This game is mostly impressive on a technical level, and in its full use of the hardware.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 9:44 pm

I agree that Final Fantasy 3 wouldn't be a good introduction to the series. I mean it's probably still good (the first Final Fantasy is still better than most modern games), but nowhere near as good as the 6-10 and Chrono Trigger.

Personally I think Final Fantasy 9 and 10 were the best in the series in every respect-which is really saying something. Thought 6, 7, and 8 and Chrono Trigger were all absolutely phenomenal too.

And no, I wouldn't want Final Fantasy 7 on the DS, because there's no way it could handle it. If they were going to port it to a handheld, it would have to be the PSP.

I really enjoyed Mario & Luigi 2 on the DS. You'll probably like it a lot if you've enjoyed any of the Mario RPG type games. (I thought it was second only to Super Mario RPG.)

TheAPERSON wrote:
I heard FFXII was coming out on DS too.

No, it's a game set in the Final Fantasy 12 universe, but the DS obviously can't run Final Fantasy 12 any more than it could run FF7. (Also note that the Final Fantasy series is really "over" with 10. The guy who created the series and Executive Produced it through 10 left the company...and it shows with FF12. He's doing Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon next, which so far both seem (to me) to be more in line with his previous games. They both look a lot better to me than FF12 (not that FF12 was a bad game, but I liked it less even than FF2).

nuttycanuck
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 May 2007, 11:23 pm

FF3 is hard. I have it and I keep dying lol.

I also have Pokemon Diamond, which is much more fun, mostly because I'm actually good at Pokemon.