Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 2:06 pm

Anyone ever watched it? Just finished it last night and it was a good film in someways, but it quickly went over the edge with the outlandish claims that we can control water and aging psychologically. Saw some misinterpretations of quantum physics too.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 4:26 pm

I watched it 10 years ago. I'm not sure what I'd think if I saw it again, I remember that movie explaining physical phenomenon as well as dabbling in neuro / bio chemistry. It tried to be entertaining and informative.

I actually read the book behind the water claim, the author claimed that rice seeds in water did poorly when mean words were written on the bottles, and well when nice words were written. He also said that you could will rainclouds away (be sure to thank them though). That stuff is hard to digest.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 6:48 pm

From the reviews that I've seen, it contains a lot of woo that's a load of nonsense, so I'm not sure that I want to see it. And yes, I've studied quantum mechanics and in fact finishing off a PhD in it. So, I know that some of the stuff they say about quantum physics are misinterpretations.

SaxNerd
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2016, 5:30 am

Haha my Mum saw that and is actually replicating that rice experiment now, she is about a week into it. She honestly believed it and has been going on about it for weeks, and the family and my friend (who has a science degree) have been trying to convince her that there's no way in hell it would work, so she said there was one way to prove it.

So you put rice into three jars:
1: Say nice things to it every day
2: Say mean things to it every day
3: Leave it alone (control)

Supposedly the 'nice' jar starts to ferment and the 'mean' jar starts to rot. She's about a week into it now, and the jars have done exactly the opposite of what they were supposed to :roll: .

Here's the original experiment in case anyone's interested:

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 6:42 am

SaxNerd wrote:
Haha my Mum saw that and is actually replicating that rice experiment now, she is about a week into it. She honestly believed it and has been going on about it for weeks, and the family and my friend (who has a science degree) have been trying to convince her that there's no way in hell it would work, so she said there was one way to prove it.

Supposedly the 'nice' jar starts to ferment and the 'mean' jar starts to rot. She's about a week into it now, and the jars have done exactly the opposite of what they were supposed to :roll: .

That experiment is pseudoscience; thinking that talking to rice will change anything is futile.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 7:08 am

There's some interesting stuff there but the problem is it's still a 'Woah! Head explode!' type thing that leaves people dangling without anything to do with it.

About the time I started looking into the implications of what mind interlaced with the universe, NDE's etc. meant I had to jump through the new age hoops for a little bit before finding something better. IMHO if there were anything I'd recommend for people who are looking for a historical basis of what people have done with this, something that in a lot of ways counts as an esoteric history of western culture, read Manly P Hall's Secret Teachings of All Ages. You might not immediately recognize the connection between the two topics - western esotericism and extension of consciousness into the universe - but as you read it you'll start to see the connection pretty quickly.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 7:35 am

SaxNerd wrote:

Evidently, this "experiment" isn't repeatable. How would the rice "know" whether a mean thing was said to it or not anyway?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 7:41 am

I enjoyed the book, which I read before I had the chance to see the film. I then saw the film and couldn't stand it. The film is very twee. The book puts forward the ideas in a less twee manner. Some of the ideas are ridiculous. Some probably do have "something" to them.

I'm of a suspicion that energies can be real in the emotionally affective sense. I only say suspicion because I cannot buy wholesale the New Age-y belief system on this stuff, but I do have a feeling that there is more going on in life and physics than we've yet established knowledge on. That has always been true. We're not even done finding things out for sure yet.

A lot of the ideas in the this book and film are too California New Age for even my open minded tastes, but I do think there is more to life than we think we know.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 7:42 am

Jono wrote:
SaxNerd wrote:

Evidently, this "experiment" isn't repeatable. How would the rice "know" whether a mean thing was said to it or not anyway?

The answer is simple: It doesn't.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 7:46 am

Jono wrote:
From the reviews that I've seen, it contains a lot of woo that's a load of nonsense, so I'm not sure that I want to see it. And yes, I've studied quantum mechanics and in fact finishing off a PhD in it. So, I know that some of the stuff they say about quantum physics are misinterpretations.

Jono, I studied quantum mechanics as part of my degree in physics, and I was deeply fascinated by the hydrogen wave function. What aspect of quantum physics is your dissertation on?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 3:35 am

Deltaville wrote:
Jono wrote:

Jono, I studied quantum mechanics as part of my degree in physics, and I was deeply fascinated by the hydrogen wave function. What aspect of quantum physics is your dissertation on?

My dissertation is on quantum entanglement but it's a special topic on that subject.