Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 3:36 am

... for White Christians in the US, it would seem...

As a part of a larger investigation, the Public Religion Research Institute (PPRI) just released the following overview of the relative age of religious groups in the US, showing both the median age and the size of each group:

Source: http://www.prri.org/spotlight/aging-whi ... n-america/

Some of the age difference may be due to immigration (as immigrants to the US tend to be younger than the native-born population), which likely explains a significant part of the relative youth of Hindu, Muslim and Buddhists Americans.

However, other religious groups have been well-established in the US for a longer time, so the difference in median age might also be due to generational effects: It would seem that traditionally white Christian denominations are having difficulty recruiting new adherents relative to other religious groups.

It will be especially interesting to see the effect on US Catholicism, given that the median age for White Catholics is 14 years higher than for Hispanic Catholics...

Regardless of the cause, the effect will likely be the same: There will be soon be a significant - and relatively quick - shift in the overall religious composition of the US, as older generations die out and get replaced by more religious (or irreligious) generations.

Oh, and for elaboration... I found the following from Pew Research (from 2014) showing the non-white percentage of several of the above religious denominations:

Source: http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/amer ... landscape/

Please discuss.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 5:25 am

RIP America. According to your data and assuming current trends continue, which group is going to become numerically dominant in the future? Know that, and you know what the religious future looks like.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 5:37 am

Mikah wrote:
RIP America. According to your data and assuming current trends continue, which group is going to become numerically dominant in the future? Know that, and you know what the religious future looks like.

Catholics.

Pew: "Overall, 84% of Latin American adults report that they were raised Catholic"
http://www.pewforum.org/2014/11/13/reli ... n-america/

Latin America is Mexico, Central, South American, and some islands ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_America

We are on the verge of legalizing the 20 to 30 million "undocumented Catholics", and offering them "family reunification" which would let them bring in tens of millions more Catholics.

It could be a Catholic invasion. :wink:

EDIT: Only 69% practice.

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 28 Jul 2016, 5:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 5:50 am

Meh ... this is a result of globalization. No going back now. In a hundred years we'll probably all be a yellowy-red colour and they will look back and wonder why people cared.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 5:53 am

androbot01 wrote:
Meh ... this is a result of globalization. No going back now. In a hundred years we'll probably all be a yellowy-red colour and they will look back and wonder why people cared.

Goobacks!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobacks

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 5:54 am

Well that's not too bad, better than a Muslim America anyway.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 6:16 am

The High School Musical actress is Filipino, Chinese, Native American, and Irish.

Amerie is half Korean, as well as African-American.

More like these two ^

I don't get the whole preservation of the ethnicities. The world is too small today.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 6:23 am

Mikah, if we're talking stereotypes, is it not too bad that priests rape children? I'm sure your racial ideologies can't possibly conflict with that whole historical abuse...

androbot, it's clearly because some people don't have sufficient self esteem and as such base perception on a very shallow and nominal quality...

GGPViper, stupid title...

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 6:43 am

I don't understand the reason for this thread. Why does it matter what color Christians are? What I'm worried about is Christianity being wiped out completely and replaced by a One World Religion (globalization).

The Catholic pedophile priests sure didn't help the situation any. And this new Pope isn't helping either - except to take down the Catholic Church from the inside in order to bring about the New World Religion of Chrislam.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 6:44 am

Quote:
Mikah, if we're talking stereotypes, is it not too bad that priests rape children? I'm sure your racial ideologies can't possibly conflict with that whole historical abuse...

Of course it's bad. I'm not an expert on Catholicism, but to my knowledge there is no mandate in the priest rulebook for child abuse, just as there is no mandate for schoolteachers to rape their pupils in secular schools. Still happens though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2016, 7:02 am

There is no "one world religion," per se.

Christianity is 2,000 years old, and still going strong.

I wouldn't worry about its imminent demise.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 4:38 pm

GGPViper wrote:

Some of the age difference may be due to immigration (as immigrants to the US tend to be younger than the native-born population), which likely explains a significant part of the relative youth of Hindu, Muslim and Buddhists Americans.

However, other religious groups have been well-established in the US for a longer time, so the difference in median age might also be due to generational effects: It would seem that traditionally white Christian denominations are having difficulty recruiting new adherents relative to other religious groups.

It will be especially interesting to see the effect on US Catholicism, given that the median age for White Catholics is 14 years higher than for Hispanic Catholics...

Regardless of the cause, the effect will likely be the same: There will be soon be a significant - and relatively quick - shift in the overall religious composition of the US, as older generations die out and get replaced by more religious (or irreligious) generations.

With any luck religion may die out in the United States. The sooner the better.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 4:51 pm

I am an out and out atheist.....but I do believe religion has its place in the world. Some people really need it in order to live day-to-day. Others need it to control base impulses.

I wish, though, that people didn't use religion for devious purposes. Or that it caused so much sorrow in the Medieval and Renaissance periods of the Western World.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 4:56 pm

androbot01 wrote:

My guess is that a lot of future Americans are more likely to resemble Central Asian populations, with the exception of an additional African element. Central Asian populations have a lot of European genes, and quite a few have lighter hair color and/or blue or green eyes, in addition to East Asian and Middle Eastern genes. Due to the high prevalence of flaxen hair and blue eyes in North America, many multiracial children in the future are likely to have these traits.

Flaxen hair and blue eyes are recessive, but unless they are selected against, they are not going to disappear. Generally, in the first generation of mixing, you won't see blonde hair and blue eyes due to the fact that the child will only have 1 copy of each set of genes (except maybe in childhood), but give it another generation and you'll see children who inherit both copies.

Last edited by beneficii on 29 Jul 2016, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 5:10 pm

This isn't a religious nation, I believe there is even something in the constitution about that.

So what does it matter what religion people are, or what ethnicity people who follow a religion are? I find it a bit concerning people think a declining population of 'white Christians' is the downfall of america. I guess I should quit contributing to the downfall of america and go to church and convert to Christianity :roll: What do you want? the government to mandate that white people follow Christianity?

And by the way Catholicism is Christianity, in fact it came before all the protestant forms.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 5:11 pm

If people in America primarily look Central American in 2100 AD, who cares?