Why is it considered uncultured to be proudly American?

Page 6 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 7:23 pm

rvacountrysinger wrote:
If you love America, you love your homeland and country. To me that is very sweet and full of patriotism.
America has religious freedom and it is a very wonderful country (albeit ,far from perfect), it is the freest of countries.

Some liberals view this as being uncultured. If you have a love of American cuisine , for example- BBQ,
cheeseburgers, apple pie- you are a hick. But if you enjoy 3rd world cuisine made from countries where people actually
defecate in the streets- somehow that makes you a sophisticate. I don't understand the mentality there.

I agree with you about 90% on this, here is where I disagree. When refugees come from 3rd world countries where people s**t in the streets to the USA, their cultures, and the foods and cooking styles become a part of American cooking. Here's a few examples.

Pizza. Brought here by poor Italian immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th century. They were looked upon as unlikely to assimilate to American culture, and their food ws strange. Nowadays, Nearly everybody eats Pizza, and spaghetti with meatballs, or some sort of pasta. --These are just as American now as cheeseburgerss and Apple pie.

Chinese food. When the Chinese started coming here in the 19th century, they brought their food with them. Nowadays, it's quite common to have a wok and to do stir fries. That being said, with the recent wave of Chinese immigration from the past 40 or so years, it's now possible to forego the dreaded 'happy family' at dodgy chinese restaurants, and get real regional chinese cooking such as ripped cold szechuan noodles in pepper sauce, as well as true Manchu,(north Chinese mongolian) and Uigur, (a Turkic people that live in western China) cuisine, but only if you live in a place where a lot of them have settled.

Same thing with Mexican food. No longer do you have to worry about the gringo-ised hard shell tacos, with hamburger fried with chili powder and way too much cumin, with shredded lettuce and vinyl yellow pasturised process 'cheese', billing itseld as 'Mexican' You can get real mexican food in many differant regional varieties. Stuff like Mole Negro, Mole Verde, Caldo de Rez, and softshell tacos Al Pastor and Barbacoa served with onions, cilantro and lime wedges, as well as Ceviche, and real Tamales that do NOT come in a can.

Also, you can get African stuff such as Beef Suqqar and Sambusas (Somali food is similar to Indian food, but with the addition of Beef). as well as curried goat with basamati rice.

Liberal? Not exactly. Hate Cheeseburgers, Barbeque, and Apple pie? Of course not. I like cheese burgers a lot (5 guyss!! !) I want my BBQ done with proper mustard sauce, and my apple pie with good chunk of Cabot hunters sharp cheddar.

All the above stuff that I've mentioned hasn't changed my love of American food, it's just expanded my views of what American food is, as we are for the most part a nation of immigrants and refugees leaving the 'old countries' behind for a place where we can succeed.

Here's a photo of Jackie Hites (local-ish to me) true '100 mile' Mustard based BBQ. Yes, it's cooked over a real bbq pit with oak and pecan for hours, none of the propane or natural gas nonsense.

As well as a side of Hash and Rice from a place called Shealy's, which is a few blocks away from Jackie Hites and is his main competitor, which is apparently a thing that is alien to people in North Carolina, Most of Georgia, and other southern states further away. --Yeah, it looks like rice covered with diarrheic babyshit, but damn is it tasty.Image

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 8:39 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:
It's this perceived superiority that fuels a lot of the hatred of America around the world.

Let them hate on this. :twisted:

This is exactly the point I am getting at. What do you plan to do with that aircraft? What exactly does it prove?

Skippy, like most rednecks, would use this aircraft to bomb the living p!ss out of anyone and anything that p!sses him off in even the slightest matter. To him, might makes right, no matter what!

You forgot to ask the mods to lock this thread, censure all the belligerents, and permanently close your account like you usually do...

I have better things to do right now than p!ss around with you, Skkippy!

But you just had to take the time to respond to Skippy here, and before that to tell others things about Skippy that they would have found out soon enough if they didn't already know. Skippy must be really special to you.

I would have left it alone, Skippy, except you insisted: REPORTED.

You elected not to leave it alone on page 2 of this thread with this:
Meistersinger wrote:
Skippy, like most rednecks, would use this aircraft to bomb the living p!ss out of anyone and anything that p!sses him off in even the slightest matter. To him, might makes right, no matter what!

Report me?
Isn't that kind of like alerting the fire department of a fire when you're the arsonist?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 8:45 pm

Misslizard wrote:
248RPA wrote:
I don't find anything wrong with being proud to be American, but:

rvacountrysinger wrote:
If you have a love of American cuisine , for example- BBQ,
cheeseburgers, apple pie- you are a hick. But if you enjoy 3rd world cuisine made from countries where people actually
defecate in the streets- somehow that makes you a sophisticate. I don't understand the mentality there.

Do you realize how unhealthy cheeseburgers, BBQ, and apple pie is? Those in "countries where people actually defecate in the streets" wonder how some could bear to eat such sugary and/or greasy foods more than once a month. It's all a matter of perspective.

Good BBQ is never greasy.When I cook it I build a fire in the back yard,with real wood.Burn it down to coals then cook over it.Make my own sauce,which isn't a sweet sauce,more spicy and vinegary.If I'm doing ribs I parboil then inside with celery,onions and spices till almost tender.Then remove to the grill,this takes out most of the grease.
Burgers cooked on a grill are not greasy if you buy a lean mix,any grease drips put while cooking.Serve on a good whole grain bun with a big slice of tomato,purple onion,avacados,romaine,slice of good Swiss or a sharp cheddar and whatever else you desire.I have also grilled portobello mushroom and I liked them well enough.
Brisket is slow cooked in the oven on a drip pan,the grease drains off the meat.Then remove to the grill for smoking.
Potato salad can be healthy,I use steamed potatoes with a few carrots for color.Add diced onion,garlic,diced bell pepper,chopped eggs,pickle relish,mayo(or veganaise) dash mustard and spices.
Coleslaw,shredded cabbage,some shredded carrot,vinegar,celery seed,dash sugar(or honey) and enough mayo to make creamy.
Apple pie can also be healthy.Homemade whole grain crust,apples,raisens,spices and you don't have to use white sugar.You can use honey,stevia,whatever you want.Add a scoop of good vanilla ice cream and it's heaven on the tongue.
None of this is unhealthy when enjoyed in moderation and it all tastes wonderful.
Unless you have dined here on truly good Southern BBQ you have no idea what it's like.Nothing tastes better than real food cooked over an outdoor fire.

BBQ beans go good with BBQ'd meat, too.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 8:54 pm

Raptor wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
NotThatClever13 wrote:
It's this perceived superiority that fuels a lot of the hatred of America around the world.

Let them hate on this. :twisted:

This is exactly the point I am getting at. What do you plan to do with that aircraft? What exactly does it prove?

You forgot to ask the mods to lock this thread, censure all the belligerents, and permanently close your account like you usually do...

I have better things to do right now than p!ss around with you, Skkippy!

But you just had to take the time to respond to Skippy here, and before that to tell others things about Skippy that they would have found out soon enough if they didn't already know. Skippy must be really special to you.

I would have left it alone, Skippy, except you insisted: REPORTED.

You elected not to leave it alone on page 2 of this thread with this:
Meistersinger wrote:

Report me?
Isn't that kind of like alerting the fire department of a fire when you're the arsonist?

Too bad WP doesn't have a true killfile function like most Usenet readers. You, and a few other people would be permanent residents. :skull:

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 9:10 pm

Raptor wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
248RPA wrote:

rvacountrysinger wrote:

Do you realize how unhealthy cheeseburgers, BBQ, and apple pie is? Those in "countries where people actually defecate in the streets" wonder how some could bear to eat such sugary and/or greasy foods more than once a month. It's all a matter of perspective.

Good BBQ is never greasy.When I cook it I build a fire in the back yard,with real wood.Burn it down to coals then cook over it.Make my own sauce,which isn't a sweet sauce,more spicy and vinegary.If I'm doing ribs I parboil then inside with celery,onions and spices till almost tender.Then remove to the grill,this takes out most of the grease.
Burgers cooked on a grill are not greasy if you buy a lean mix,any grease drips put while cooking.Serve on a good whole grain bun with a big slice of tomato,purple onion,avacados,romaine,slice of good Swiss or a sharp cheddar and whatever else you desire.I have also grilled portobello mushroom and I liked them well enough.
Brisket is slow cooked in the oven on a drip pan,the grease drains off the meat.Then remove to the grill for smoking.
Potato salad can be healthy,I use steamed potatoes with a few carrots for color.Add diced onion,garlic,diced bell pepper,chopped eggs,pickle relish,mayo(or veganaise) dash mustard and spices.
Coleslaw,shredded cabbage,some shredded carrot,vinegar,celery seed,dash sugar(or honey) and enough mayo to make creamy.
Apple pie can also be healthy.Homemade whole grain crust,apples,raisens,spices and you don't have to use white sugar.You can use honey,stevia,whatever you want.Add a scoop of good vanilla ice cream and it's heaven on the tongue.
None of this is unhealthy when enjoyed in moderation and it all tastes wonderful.
Unless you have dined here on truly good Southern BBQ you have no idea what it's like.Nothing tastes better than real food cooked over an outdoor fire.

Yup. As does Macaroni and Cheese, butter beans, mustard greens and hot vinegar, hush puppies, cole slaw, potato salad, well done fresh grean beans cooked with country ham or fatback, and fresh, creamed white sweet corn and sweet potato bread, washed down with sweet tea.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2017, 11:54 pm

Fogman wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
248RPA wrote:

rvacountrysinger wrote:

Yup. As does Macaroni and Cheese, butter beans, mustard greens and hot vinegar, hush puppies, cole slaw, potato salad, well done fresh grean beans cooked with country ham or fatback, and fresh, creamed white sweet corn and sweet potato bread, washed down with sweet tea.

All choice sides.Maybe a few slices of homegrown tomatoes along with the rest of the feast.
I make my own BBQ beans with all the good stuff like molasses and bacon.
Don't forget a few buckets of ice cold beer along with the sweet tea and Co'cola.

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2017, 11:11 am

It's a stigma because too many jingoistic right-wing war hawks with blind "love it or leave it" attitudes ruined it for the rest of us.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 12:19 pm

Anne_Fetamine wrote:
Nothing wrong with being proud of where you're from as long as you don't have a closed mind about other cultures or think yours is superior. A lot of Americans act as if we're the only country in the world, or that the world revolves around us. I think that's where some of the backlash comes from.

I think this is worded very well.

My impression of the US, from over here in the UK (and yes, it's a generalisation) is that America is like a blinkered teenager at a party. He genuinely thinks that he's funny, or that he's cool, or that other people look up to him and admire him, when in reality they're all laughing at him behind his back because he's not any of the things he thinks he is. Or, at the very least, everyone is looking at him wondering why he thinks he's such a big deal.

And it's all very well and good being, let's be honest, not particularly impressive, as long as you fly under the radar a bit. Once you go around bragging about how great you are, people will be all too aware that you're not. If you just kept quiet about your perceived greatness, people would leave you to it.

But, that's an outsider perspective and I don't know about American people that consider patriotism 'uncultured', of course.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 4:55 pm

JohnnyLurg wrote:
It's a stigma because too many jingoistic right-wing war hawks with blind "love it or leave it" attitudes ruined it for the rest of us.

Yes--I think at least some of those attitudes sometimes go hand-in-hand with people who tend to be less educated, have less experience or interaction with people from other cultures/nations/etc., and come from more conservative, fundamentalist backgrounds. The "love it or leave it" mindset blends well with an all-or-nothing viewpoint of almost everything. It's a sort of fanaticism that I can say I've seen up close with my own eyes, and one that I avoid to preserve my own peace of mind.

Their high volume and neon visibility does make it hard to be a proud American without being mistaken for one of those extremists, but then, I'm definitely not proud of everything American, so I guess I may not be one of them in the first place!

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 5:08 pm

ArielsSong wrote:
Anne_Fetamine wrote:
Nothing wrong with being proud of where you're from as long as you don't have a closed mind about other cultures or think yours is superior. A lot of Americans act as if we're the only country in the world, or that the world revolves around us. I think that's where some of the backlash comes from.

I think this is worded very well.

My impression of the US, from over here in the UK (and yes, it's a generalisation) is that America is like a blinkered teenager at a party. He genuinely thinks that he's funny, or that he's cool, or that other people look up to him and admire him, when in reality they're all laughing at him behind his back because he's not any of the things he thinks he is. Or, at the very least, everyone is looking at him wondering why he thinks he's such a big deal.

And it's all very well and good being, let's be honest, not particularly impressive, as long as you fly under the radar a bit. Once you go around bragging about how great you are, people will be all too aware that you're not. If you just kept quiet about your perceived greatness, people would leave you to it.

But, that's an outsider perspective and I don't know about American people that consider patriotism 'uncultured', of course.

I appreciate your input and the fact that you realize we're not all like that--in fact, a lot of us aren't, though the next four years (at least) will make it much harder to prove.

Unchecked pride: I think that the "ugly American" is akin to the stereotypical "snobby Brit." :?

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 6:30 am

rvacountrysinger wrote:
America has religious freedom
America is not the only country with religious freedom.

While I can't quite fathom the number of people who get excited over a country because they happened to have been born there I'm also baffled by the amount of anti-American sentiment coming from your own country.

I've never heard any nationality badmouth America more than Americans themselves.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 8:33 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I've never heard any nationality badmouth America more than Americans themselves.

Like with anything in life it can be overdone, but that is a good thing. It means those Americans have are not satisfied, and have high expectations and standards.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 11:24 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

Like with anything in life it can be overdone, but that is a good thing. It means those Americans have are not satisfied, and have high expectations and standards.

And a lot (probably most) of them are non-earners, to put it as politely as I care to, that think America is too austere and doesn't give away enough free stuff to their liking.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2017, 4:53 pm

JohnnyLurg wrote:

But France is kind of like that. Many other countries have that attitude as well. In fact, Americans in general, are more open to outsiders. Provided they don't kill us all and are coming here legally....