he made a virus that would kill off all the swine
his perfect kingdom of killing, suffering and pain
demands devotion atrocities done in his name
your god is dead and no one cares
drowning in his own hypocrisy
and if there is a hell I will see you there
burning with your god in humility
will you die for this?

Hey all I'm slowly becoming Agnostic or Athiest because of all the hurt and pain I felt trying
to "believe" I used to get good vibes from researching Angels and Demons and stuff.
But now I feel I'm falling from that grace. I still believe a bit at the moment and it's hard to fully AGREE
with this NIN song, but it slowly is creeping. Maybe god is not found in religion, is what I totally believe
maybe their was a time that religion "worked" but those times are almost gone
sure their still may be faith emboldening churches out there but it is so hard to
choose a denimination, you know? plus that it seems to me that the catholic church
is a power of evil, instead of light. I do think that things are always changing
and I don't wanna clutch onto things anymore about the apocalypse or whatever
to redeem me, that the good a destined to win. I don't believe that.
Good will overcome if we choose it. If god exists he is constantly changing the end date of mankind to
manufacture more time for people to be "saved"...he doesn't want to start the armageddon while there
is children who may not have an opportunity to be saved, he wants to save all!
He is the inherent good in all, no person alive is closed off to god, everyone can change if they
choose to.

So tell me, do you think god is dead? Do you identify with these lyrics?

Do you disagree?

comment, reply and converse about this topic: "God is Dead?" "Is religion now inherently evil?"

Grischa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2017, 3:29 pm

once people had 1000 problems
and they wanted to solve it all at once
so then they created God

it would be easy to ask God to solve those problems once for all

but the problems were still present
so in the end they did not have 1000 problems
but 1000 questions
to God
why he would not solve it all at once

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 May 2017, 4:17 pm

The song lyrics have a lot of weight because they are of a political nature. Of more esoteric concern, I identify as Philosophically Agnostic, Emotionally Atheist, yet still interested in the possibilities inherent in DMT, Shamanism and altered states of consciousness.

Best Guess:

God = | Universe Wave Function >

There is also something wierd about Gnosticism. The Light! If you took someone with a mathematical and spiritualist bent at the same time as influence you would go in that direction.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2017, 9:37 pm

If you're particularly attached to organized religion as it's sold I don't think you'll find satisfying answers. Evolution's been cannon-foddering everything since living organisms existed. Through emergence it seems like different proclivities have made themselves known but it's tough to know what to say about it. Even if spiritual agencies are absolutely there it still says nothing about a personal God and if it's a God that's so distant or alien in its priorities that one has a difficult time telling deism from atheism, depending on the definition of God, it's an ongoing story perhaps but a very different one from the mainstream of the Abrahamics.

Good luck on that one. I'm not sure what you'll do of keeping to organized religious tenets is critical.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

fakkau89
Raven
Raven

26 May 2017, 6:34 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Good luck on that one. I'm not sure what you'll do of keeping to organized religious tenets is critical.

apparently the world over centuries ago were all polythiestic, giving praise to sacred animal and non "living" matter. then the warring tribe of ashkenazi battled to secure a monothiestic diety, which could mean the abrahamic god is actually the devil.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 7:44 am

fakkau89 wrote:
apparently the world over centuries ago were all polythiestic, giving praise to sacred animal and non "living" matter. then the warring tribe of ashkenazi battled to secure a monothiestic diety, which could mean the abrahamic god is actually the devil.

fakkau,

I don't know how much time you have or how much interest you have in exploring the issues you're bringing up, but I do have a lecture series that I think would be helpful to your inquiry. It's a 5 lecture tape box (on Youtube) by Manly P Hall called Doctrines of Hermes Trismegistus. In particular the first two lectures - Orientation of the Hermetic Philosophy and Hermetism, Gnosticism, & Neoplatonism deal with the religious evolution of the region from tribal religions that are only changed by group conquest to Greece and Rome creating empires, and in the second of those two he gets into how the exchange of ideas within these empires created the philosophic mystery schools as well as giving rise to the climate where Christianity took hold.

I bring up the time investment bit because both lectures are a little south of two hours but have a lot of important detail to this end. I bring up Hall because I do think his historical digging here is both inline with modern biblical/historical research but also just as interested in other traditions happening concurrently and really covers a much broader social tapestry in his lectures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_RCEAk ... Z6d0VpT8yz

As for my own thoughts on Christianity, and I think in a lot of ways mine would be in agreement with Hall, people who doggedly adhere to its dead letter don't seem to understand what's behind it or what its worth and equally the people who are against it at all costs in all forms don't really have their thinking in order either.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

fakkau89
Raven
Raven

26 May 2017, 2:09 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

...just as interested in other traditions happening concurrently and really covers a much broader social tapestry in his lectures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_RCEAk ... Z6d0VpT8yz

I am interested. Will give it a watch I have heard of Manly before, thank you.