Page 2 of 11 [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 5:02 am

Darmok wrote:
Political correctness is one of the principal ideological weapons of Marxism-Leninism. It seeks to control entire populations by using psychological manipulation and abuse, and by moving the Overton window steadily to the left until the very language of freedom and liberty is suppressed.

Social justice warriors are the cultural agents of Marxist-Leninist revolution. They come in three broad categories: (1) hardcore ideologues, mostly found in universities and in the leadership of leftist organizations; (2) violent sociopaths, as in the antifa terrorist group; and (3) the great mass of dupes, mostly college students and others, who are easily manipulated by the movement's sociopathic leaders. Their goal is to subvert the constitutional democratic republics of the West.

I don't know much about Marxism-Leninism, but the way you're describing these things reflect conclusions I've come to on my own and expressed many times. The agenda involved seems pretty damn obvious.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 6:54 am

StinkyDog wrote:
Given that Marxism-Leninism has fallen on the ash heap of history, those who still hurl the term must be using it, in a pejorative way, to characterize people who favor liberal democracy.

It's tricky because you still have that embedded in a lot of postmodernism as a fallback for the lack of consensus reality.

What's challenging for me is that I look across Europe and I hear about people getting arrested for 'hate speech' online, Tommy Robinson's quite famous in that sense in the UK and apparently somewhere in the last few months Germany arrested something like 36 people? There's also the stuff going on the north of us that we've watched with dread - ie. Canada's M-103, ie. their own religious blasphemy laws, and I think everyone's pretty familiar with Bill C-16 which the problem with the bill was proven really by agreement in the University of Toronto legal staff that Jordan Peterson would be breaking the law if he refused to use the prescribed pronouns. Similarly Gad Saad went before parliament and had to ask the question - if there's no such thing as gender, and he teaches evolutionary consumption, is his course illegal? There's also Bill 89 stating that if a child identifies as the opposite gender and wants to either transition or have their parents regard them as that gender the government can take that child into custody if the parent doesn't comply. That's not even all that new to some extent as I remember a court case back in the late 2000's where a man grounded his daughter for something by not letting her go on a field trip. His daughter sued him and won in court, he gave his ex-wife custody with the admission that if he has no recourse to any discipline at all that he cannot effectively act as a parent.

I think that's my biggest concern - the kinds of draconian laws that are coming in part-in-parcel with political correctness and when you see ADN or Darmok talking about this as Marxist-Lenninist type stuff I think the legislations are where that really seems the most obvious.

Maybe we should divide the topic between practical in-person restraint on offensive language, the definition the OP and several others seem to prefer, vs. legislative adventures pernicious to civil liberties which ADN, Darmok, and myself I think are more focused on?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 9:27 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Social Justice Warriors are people whom attempt to enforce "regressive left" ideology by intimidation. Intimidation techniques may include language policing, violence, shutting down speech deemed triggering or offensive to certain groups deemed oppressed, attempting to get people deemed offensive fired.

This. It's these actions and any other similar actions which take someone from merely being a regressive to an SJW. It's mainly that, the efforts to destroy those who don't align with them. Also other things are hallmarks of the SJW, like unbelievable levels of dishonesty, hypocrisy, shamelessness, no honour, will do anything to advance their goals. And the dehumanising, the "other-ising" they do to those who's views don't line up with theirs. Like when they speak for, say, people of colour, if someone is a poc and also, say, a Trump supporter, they aren't considered part of that. They're just garbage to them, and what do you do with garbage? You throw it out.

So for you GoonSquad, if you engage in such behaviours, or would, given the chance, then you are the SJW you self identify as. I'm interested to know if you fit that, as if you do, you're an apparently self-aware SJW, and that is in my experience very unusual.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 9:48 am

Political correctness is called such and not simply "correct" because it is seen as risk free speech to use as a politician. You want to avoid offending voters, right? But all it does is turn you into a spineless coward with no personality and no stance on anything. It scrubs you of much of your individuality, bending to the will of any who claim to be offended by anything. No matter who you are, what you stand for, someone, somewhere, is going to think you are pure scum and think your death would make the World a better place. It's impossible not to offend everyone, even if you're a paragon of political correctness. Offence is subjective. Literally anyone can be offended by anything. Politeness has minimisation of offence covered acceptably without causing any of the issues I mentioned. It also has some flexibility, while PC is entirely rigid.

I'm so irritated that political correctness in two words video is no longer on Youtube. It was excellent.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 10:12 am

Tech, I tried to track down a couple of items from your post. Tommy Robinson has an interesting story, but appears to have faced prosecution only for physical violence (and mortgage fraud). I saw that 36 homes were searched in the German raids, but no arrests were reported. The postings in question contained direct threats of violence, according to the reports I read.

Evolutionary consumption sounds a lot like behavioral economics, so that interests me, but what I saw seemed like lots of other published research. For what would anyone face prosecution?

I don't see where the authorities stifled free inquiry.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 12:06 pm

Being PC, is when one MUST adhere to yet another crybaby's indignation, when they decide others can't use a certain word / term, or do whatever----and, when one DOESN'T adhere, then there'll be an SJW, along, to MAKE you!! BOTH of which, IMO, are WRONG!!

StinkyDog
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2017, 3:56 pm

At least we know who the PRTs are. :wink:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 7:33 pm

Drake wrote:
So for you GoonSquad, if you engage in such behaviours, or would, given the chance, then you are the SJW you self identify as. I'm interested to know if you fit that, as if you do, you're an apparently self-aware SJW, and that is in my experience very unusual.

It is very rare for a person to identify as a Social Justice Warrior. That is why Social Justice Warrior is a phenomenon rather then a movement.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 26 Jun 2017, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 7:41 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Evolutionary consumption sounds a lot like behavioral economics, so that interests me, but what I saw seemed like lots of other published research. For what would anyone face prosecution?

You'll want to look up Bill C-16, the social justice tribunals in Canada (yes - its an actual thing), Bill 89, and M-103.

jrjones9933 wrote:
For what would anyone face prosecution?

Discussing evolution and human behavior in terms of mating pressures, particularly in the hetero-normative sense.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 4:52 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

You'll want to look up Bill C-16, the social justice tribunals in Canada (yes - its an actual thing), Bill 89, and M-103.

jrjones9933 wrote:
For what would anyone face prosecution?

Discussing evolution and human behavior in terms of mating pressures, particularly in the hetero-normative sense.

Legal experts disagree.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37875695

Violations of the university code of conduct aren't violations of the law.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 5:17 pm

I define them as cultural Marxism.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 6:46 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Legal experts disagree.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37875695

Violations of the university code of conduct aren't violations of the law.

I guess you'd have to ask yourself whether you really want to know whether what I mentioned is happening or not, or whether you'd just like to make it go away. I won't hound you on the issue, it would be useless to do so and I've heard these issues triangulated by too many sober people for it to be likely that I'm just drinking the right-wing echo chamber koolaid of my choice (heck - the bulk of the skeptic community are pointedly against the SJW movement, what Dave Rubin coined the 'regressive left', third wave feminism, most of them would classify as center-left liberals). If everything I'm saying here is stuff you haven't heard before it won't mean much to say anything further unless its something you want to dig into and vet yourself.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 7:02 pm

The increased level of threats and stalking to stifle speech seems more like a cultural phenomenon than a political malady of only one side. When I follow up on these stories, the claims of official persecution always seem exaggerated. If I look closely, I don't see the existential threats that some people claim exist. I believe they feel threatened, but I don't see the threat.

Slippery slopes do exist, but less often than people claim. Is Jordan Peterson a personally unpleasant individual? It would help explain (not justify) his circumstances. Lots of professors can't be bothered with basic decency. What made this one so special?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 8:15 pm

No one on this thread has yet given an actual example.

For me an example of being PC is not using the N-word.

But now that I have read this thread I have learned that if you don't use the N -word then you are....

an agent of the world wide Marxist, Leninist, revolution!! !! !
Not to mention an agent of the Reptoids from Acturus too.

But if you DO use the N-word (and you're White) then you not an agent of all of that. But you are an ass-bleep.

So there you have it.

You can be an ass-bleep. Or you can be an agent of the global Marxist Leninist illumanati dupes of the Reptoid aliens from Arcturus. There is just no in between.

Not even reverting to old fashioned "politeness". Because being considerate of others just makes you a dupe of the commie pinko illumanatti alien reptoid conspiracy.

Oh well.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 6:35 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
Is Jordan Peterson a personally unpleasant individual? It would help explain (not justify) his circumstances. Lots of professors can't be bothered with basic decency.

Well, to let you in on a little secret he's a fictitious professor we in the alt-right made up. He's a blank slate so feel free to make make him whatever feels right. :)

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2017, 7:00 pm

Whatever. It doesn't seem like a widespread problem, because lots of my professors should have run afoul of the same folks. It seems like everyone I meet has had professors like that, and I haven't found any evidence that lots of people get into this kind of trouble with the student body.

It doesn't help your case that I had to scroll through multiple pages of right wing news sources to find any balanced reports on what you cited. The stories point to real events, but only certain writers portray it as a trend.