Aspie white nationalist marcher discusses his radicalization

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 1:32 am

The road to hate: For six young men, Charlottesville is only the beginnin

Quote:
The road to Charlottesville, 540 miles away from his home in Paoli, Ind., began decades ago for Matthew Parrott, who at 35 calls himself “the first alt-righter,” referring to a small and decentralized movement of extreme conservatives, many of whom profess white-supremacist and anti-Semitic beliefs and seek a whites-only ethno state.

Parrott was socially awkward and had been diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome at 15. So his family pooled their money and got him a computer with access to the Internet — a rarity in his neighborhood of mobile homes — which he came to see as his “secret portal in my bedroom.” In chat rooms, he developed a taste for intellectual combat, always taking the contrarian side, obsessing over how to dismantle progressive arguments until, as he puts it, he “ended up self-radicalizing.”

That radicalization was rooted, he said, in his own feelings of alienation, which intensified when he went to Indiana University and confronted an elite he soon came to disdain. “They made fun of my accent and overbite and they called me white trash and hillbilly,” Parrott said. “I was never able to identify with a single person.”

He dropped out after his first semester, and his disillusionment festered until, at age 23, he went to the national conference of the Council of Conservative Citizens, a white-nationalist organization based in St. Louis. He considers this moment when comparing what white nationalism once was and what it has become. “I was the youngest one in the room,” he said. Old men, “asked me, ‘Whose grandson are you?’ They were baffled. . . . And now those guys are too frail to understand what’s going on.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 1:49 am

Lessons Learned

1. Sites that give comfort to people on the autism spectrum are extremely important for our society.
2. Some of the anti-redneck rhetoric in modern liberalism goes a tad too far. There's nothing inherently wrong with a southern accent. Furthermore, making fun of someone with an overbite is just sick. If the modern left doesn't like "body shaming", then they should realise that making fun of an overbite is a form of body shaming.
3. The internet is a powerful tool for political radicalization. The racist right has already figured this out. The anti-corporate left needs to use more dank memes. Let's fight memes with memes.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 2:14 am

So this guy was so pissed off at his fellow college students that he figured he show them by becoming a racist? And Aspies are supposed to be rational!

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 6:52 am

I read that NAZI/Storm Front crowd are very DNA-focused, so they reject "mentally ill" people.

I guess the Nationalists are little more accepting.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 10:20 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
I read that NAZI/Storm Front crowd are very DNA-focused, so they reject "mentally ill" people.

I guess the Nationalists are little more accepting.

They claim to be DNA-focused.

... but then ...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 11:32 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
So this guy was so pissed off at his fellow college students that he figured he show them by becoming a racist? And Aspies are supposed to be rational!

The guy talked about feeling accepted and part of a group. Autistics have had it drummed into us our whole lives that we are flawed people or not fully human for not having "normal" relationships and friends. Just look at the name of this website. After being told they are inferior and beaten up for their "inferiority" some overcorrect by identifying with a group they feel are superior. Some become Aspie supremacists/separatists, this guy became a white supremacist.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 11:37 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

The guy talked about feeling accepted and part of a group. Autistics have had it drummed into us our whole lives that we are flawed people or not fully human for not having "normal" relationships and friends. Just look at the name of this website. After being told they are inferior and beaten up for their "inferiority" some overcorrect by identifying with a group they feel are superior. Some become Aspie supremacists/separatists, this guy became a white supremacist.

Also, maybe, why "I have a 140+ IQ" topics are common.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 12:17 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Becoming a white supremacist because you as an Aspie are rejected by your peers is senseless. If anything, being treated like that in my lifetime has made me much more empathetic for the underdog. That, and while I concede when I was younger and much less secure, I had yearned for social acceptance, I have since come to appreciate how I am a weirdo and thus wonderfully unique.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 2:41 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Human beings - autistic or not - don't behave rationally when they are going through emotional agony.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 2:47 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Human beings - autistic or not - don't behave rationally when they are going through emotional agony.

That is too true. But as believers in eugenics, would these white nationalists be so open to him that they would let him go unsterilized, let alone find a mate?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 4:13 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Becoming a white supremacist because you as an Aspie are rejected by your peers is senseless. If anything, being treated like that in my lifetime has made me much more empathetic for the underdog. That, and while I concede when I was younger and much less secure, I had yearned for social acceptance, I have since come to appreciate how I am a weirdo and thus wonderfully unique.

I am taking a guess at explaining his behavior not excusing it. Fooling yourself that you are part of a superior group as a coping mechanism against being part of a disadvantaged minority will help your self-confidence for a time but it does not change the fact you are Autistic and a member of a very disadvantaged and discriminated against group. It is not going to help your social skills. Being a Nazi is going to hurt your chances of getting laid not help it.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 4:35 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

That is too true. But as believers in eugenics, would these white nationalists be so open to him that they would let him go unsterilized, let alone find a mate?

I honestly don't know. Some of them want to sterilize autistic people. Others will talk about the "weaponized autism" that they used against CNN. It's all very confusing.

It definitely seems like most autistics in the alt-right are self-hating autistics.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 4:42 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Don't think human beings as rational, because they are not.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 9:42 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I am taking a guess at explaining his behavior not excusing it. Fooling yourself that you are part of a superior group as a coping mechanism against being part of a disadvantaged minority will help your self-confidence for a time but it does not change the fact you are Autistic and a member of a very disadvantaged and discriminated against group. It is not going to help your social skills. Being a Nazi is going to hurt your chances of getting laid not help it.

Absolutely. I have to imagine autistics would be just as victimized by white separatist, if not more so, as those types are rabid believers in eugenics, and so think autistics should be "fixed."

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 12:28 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Ok I have to admit it...I also did it for a while, 8O. That is right, at a time when I was disillusioned, depressed, just not in a good state that I got a little bit pulled into white supremacy. I am very much ashamed, like still can't figure out just what the hell I was thinking. But that is the thing they kind of target people who feel isolated and offer a sense of 'belonging' to sucker people in. That is a tactic they use, luckily I didn't get any bad situations before I had some sense knocked back into me. But that is also part of why I don't think nazi supremacy speech should be protected under freedom of speech...it can corrupt people who wouldn't otherwise consider it and play into peoples feelings of isolation and what not. I mean looking back I am suprised at how I got into that, it almost was like being brainwashed and my family had to get pissed at me to kind of knock me back into real life. I don't like to mention that part of my life, but it's there...

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2017, 5:34 am

^ What was it that changed your mind?