Page 168 of 214 [ 3415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171 ... 214  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 1:34 pm

It is an acknowledgement that there are Christians in the United States, and that they are the majority religion. We don't actually have a "state religion." We are not a "Christian state" in the sense that Saudi Arabia is a "Muslim state."

There are no official Jewish national holidays---but some Jewish holidays are celebrated in some places.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 1:46 pm

EzraS wrote:
What I know for sure is I've never seen the average common laborer defend obamacare. I'm guessing you're not one either and therefore aren't experiencing the negative impact.

I'm a hydroponic farmer, my business is setup as an LLC, I sell to local farmer's markets and three local restaurants. I personally make around 25k a year, as a single person household I don't qualify for subsidies. I've had the same insurance (Kaiser) I've had since going into this business in 2006, the rates have gone up consistently at about 6% a year. The same six percent before Obamacare, and the same six percent after. I have seen literally no impact from the law itself, aside from the fact that about 20 million more people now have healthcare, which to me is a positive, because I'm very close to the threshold where subsidies would kick in, and a poor year could force me into such a situation (thankfully business has been consistent the last half decade).

Now, a lot of guys in my business situation went without healthcare pre-Obamacare, I did not, because I just can't afford to be sick. I was still covering their healthcare and so were your parents, the difference being that they'd use the emergency room with higher costs because by law a hospital can't turn down a patient in the emergency room, and the government subsidizes lost earnings from emergency patients that can't pay. Those are the same people I see complaining about Obamacare mostly, those that failed to get insurance in the first place and got it all subsidized through emergency room visits. I have no problem with those people actually chipping in for their care now.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 2:28 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
EzraS wrote:
What I know for sure is I've never seen the average common laborer defend obamacare. I'm guessing you're not one either and therefore aren't experiencing the negative impact.

I'm a hydroponic farmer, my business is setup as an LLC, I sell to local farmer's markets and three local restaurants. I personally make around 25k a year, as a single person household I don't qualify for subsidies. I've had the same insurance (Kaiser) I've had since going into this business in 2006, the rates have gone up consistently at about 6% a year. The same six percent before Obamacare, and the same six percent after. I have seen literally no impact from the law itself, aside from the fact that about 20 million more people now have healthcare, which to me is a positive, because I'm very close to the threshold where subsidies would kick in, and a poor year could force me into such a situation (thankfully business has been consistent the last half decade).

Now, a lot of guys in my business situation went without healthcare pre-Obamacare, I did not, because I just can't afford to be sick. I was still covering their healthcare and so were your parents, the difference being that they'd use the emergency room with higher costs because by law a hospital can't turn down a patient in the emergency room, and the government subsidizes lost earnings from emergency patients that can't pay. Those are the same people I see complaining about Obamacare mostly, those that failed to get insurance in the first place and got it all subsidized through emergency room visits. I have no problem with those people actually chipping in for their care now.

1. Worker pay is not keeping up with premium costs that increase by a cumulative 6% interest rate with yearly compounding.

2. However, a cumulative 6% increase is fantasy for most people.

"Obamacare premiums to soar 22%"
http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/24/news/ec ... index.html

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 2:59 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
We have to remember: the United States was founded on the premise of a separation between Church and State. If we blur that line, like Trump seems to be doing, dangerous things can happen. Read your history!

Trump is getting ridiculous. Many non-Christians don't celebrate Christmas. We have to acknowledge that. Our nation was founded upon multiculturalism.

I also don't see many "All-American" values in Trump himself. Trump is more a profligate, "sporty" sort......

We have a national holiday called "Christmas".

So, there's no "separation of church and state" with regards to "Christmas".

Sorry nope, the constitution applies 24/7/365. Church has nothing to do with state.

Mercifully we are not yet governed by clip art, I guess that comes after Twitter. :roll:

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 3:51 pm

nurseangela wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
do you consider yourself a christian, angela?

Why? Are you going to attack my religious beliefs now? You already are blaming a nuclear war with NK on me and now it's my religion. Can you get any lower than that?

This is what I mean by the people on the Left make me sick. I suggest you worry about your own religious beliefs and not question mine. It's between me and my God (newsflash - that's not you).

i was only going to suggest that forgiveness is a christian virtue. there you go assuming all sorts of bad things that aren't even remotely true and using your faulty assumptions to go on attack. not everyone enjoys trying to make other folks feel bad.

Last edited by cathylynn on 18 Oct 2017, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 3:55 pm

jesus said to turn the other cheek. while what you just did was attack because you thought you MIGHT be attacked.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 4:31 pm

cathylynn wrote:
jesus said to turn the other cheek. while what you just did was attack because you thought you MIGHT be attacked.

i'm not attacking you. i'm attacking your tendency to attack people with things such as "shove it up your ass."

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2017, 5:18 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
1. Worker pay is not keeping up with premium costs that increase by a cumulative 6% interest rate with yearly compounding.

2. However, a cumulative 6% increase is fantasy for most people.

"Obamacare premiums to soar 22%"
http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/24/news/ec ... index.html

It's not cumulative, it's 6% per year, approx., obviously some years it's been 7, others 5, but always around the 6 threshold since 2006. I don't feel impacts from the law one way or the other, sorry that doesn't jive with your chart, but not surprising seeing as how your chart doesn't show my state.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 12:57 am

8O
http://www.twitter.com/JoeVargas/status/920507354403233793?s=09

Must agree, that doesn't quite look like Melania. Wtf is going on???

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 1:51 am

Biscuitman wrote:
8O

Hmm. Are we sure that isn't nurseangela working as Melania's security double? As far as I know, no one here knows what she looks like.

There Are Four Lights!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 4:09 am

Aristophanes wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Right you're self employed, so of course you're not going to see much difference. But for my aunt and millions like her, the employer covered most of the insurance cost. The workers only had a small co-pay and a small deductible. And that was completely taken away from them by the "if you like your plan, you can keep your plan" lying president.

The company my aunt works for fought for two years to mantain the plan they were providing and they finally had to send out an apology letter that they had finally been forced to withdraw it and absolutely no one was happy about it.

So like I figured you were never impacted by it, thus you defend it. "It doesn't affect me and I gotta stay pro-obamacare cause Obama :heart:"

Which is fine because it's the millions of pissed off Americans are who are going to matter at election time. It's a primary reason why they voted for Trump in '16. They want back what was forcibly taken from them.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 7:46 am

Biscuitman wrote:
8O

Lol. People being bonkers over Trump and his family, that's what's going on.

Not too long ago they had a tantrum over the first lady wearing high heels (the operative word being "high") and now they can't figure out how her height can change. Must be a double... who's a Russian agent... from the Rissian agent clone farm... and...

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 8:23 am

EzraS wrote:
So like I figured you were never impacted by it, thus you defend it. "It doesn't affect me and I gotta stay pro-obamacare cause Obama :heart:"

You have selective listening, as I said, I'm for it because I'm dangerously close to the threshold for a subsidy. If I have a bad year and drop below ~20k I would have to have a subsidy to afford healthcare, so while it doesn't impact me now it's a very real possibility in the future.

No where did I mention Obama, or praise him effusively like you're attempting to portray. I actually find that offensive because I give Obama a 50% grade, Bush Jr. a 30%, Clinton, Bush Sr., and Reagan a 45% grade. Those are my report cards on all presidents in my lifetime, there's plenty to criticize with each one of them, every single one of them fails my standards. Yes, I'm on the left of center, but I'm not a blind loyalist to any politician. That's also the reason I'll stick to the policies and not get involved in hero worship: I have yet to find a person worthy of hero worship, certainly not in politics.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 8:47 am

What would you give Trump? A negative grade?

I was born 18 days before Kennedy became President.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 9:25 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
What would you give Trump? A negative grade?

I was born 18 days before Kennedy became President.

...You mean before JFK's inauguration ? I was alive for practically an entire year with Ike as Prexy - My Democratic parents voted for Ike in 1956 (tbe first Prezelection after they got married), mg mother laughed " Didn't everyone? " :mrgreen: !
I think they both quite liked highly liberal Republican Nelson Rockefeller (governer of NYS during those years and perpetual GOP wannabe nominee) - I don'f think they were super in love with JFK and I don't think they cared for his brothers at all - My father told me he voted for the Republican incumbent whom RFK defeated to become NYS senator because " I didn't want a Kennedy dynasty " , he said quite strongly! :x
If RFK had not been murdered and had gotten the Dem '68 nomination and there was less rioting might the Reps have gone for a less " law and order " candiidate in Rocky? Maybe my parents would have voted for him then :) !

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 9:41 am

Yep. 18 days before January 20, 1961, Kennedy's inauguration.

Rockefeller might have been good, actually. The Last of the Mohican Liberal Republicans, so to speak.

Ironically, a man named William Rockefeller "fell asleep at the wheel" when a Metro North train derailed in the Bronx. He was found to have narcolepsy.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 19 Oct 2017, 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.