Positions on the opposite Political side you hold.

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 6:29 pm

Drake wrote:
If you are centre left or centre right, surely you will hold some views on the other side, that's why you're centre left or centre right, and not just plain left or right.

No shiz :lol:

I didn't mean that to make fun of you. I just like the plain-speaking way you put it.

Some people are very much on one side of the political spectrum, but because they think for themselves, they'll hold opinions from the opposing side. I reckon (although I have no proof) that that's probably more common among neurodiverse people like ourselves.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 10:22 pm

Well, I think I'm firmly left, maybe the far end of left-centre. Umm...most people I know hope Trump gets assassinated. I know he's a dunce but I just hope he gets impeached and lives out the rest of his life without unnecessary bloodshed. Does that count?

Ok, there's the fact that I'm a Christian and if what I heard about the Democrats wanting to enact some BS anti-Christian policies is true, I can't say I support that. I'm anti-racism/sexism, but the political right is convinced that the left is racist/sexist against white guys and while I think their claims are way overblown I do think there are cases where that has proven to be true, and I can't support that. I guess that doesn't count as taking a position on the opposite end of the spectrum as discrimination of any kind is discrimination and I don't believe any true Liberal should support any of it.

Actually, the most centrist position I take is in regards to identity politics. Listening to political squabbles among Americans kills brain cells with both sides throwing petty insults at each other, dismissing any news not aligned with their political ideology as "fake" with no valid argument as to why, and placing issues of identity in front of actual pressing issues. I'm not saying identity issues are never valid, but most are blown way out of proportion and slapped onto situations where identity would normally not have been brought up. I've since adopted the stance that no matter your viewpoint, if you don't have anything smart to say, you're better off not saying it. I avoid listening to the President speak as he can't sound intelligent to save his life, but I've seen some pretty dumb comments on both sides of the political spectrum. I'm starting to think smart people are a rarity in the US right now.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 10:28 pm

I'm liberal, but I have nothing against creationism. I don't think people should be shamed for their beliefs.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 8:39 am

Tross wrote:
Actually, the most centrist position I take is in regards to identity politics. Listening to political squabbles among Americans kills brain cells with both sides throwing petty insults at each other, dismissing any news not aligned with their political ideology as "fake" with no valid argument as to why, and placing issues of identity in front of actual pressing issues. I'm not saying identity issues are never valid, but most are blown way out of proportion and slapped onto situations where identity would normally not have been brought up. I've since adopted the stance that no matter your viewpoint, if you don't have anything smart to say, you're better off not saying it. I avoid listening to the President speak as he can't sound intelligent to save his life, but I've seen some pretty dumb comments on both sides of the political spectrum. I'm starting to think smart people are a rarity in the US right now.

Well said.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 8:44 am

TheAP wrote:
I'm liberal, but I have nothing against creationism. I don't think people should be shamed for their beliefs.

I'm against shaming people, but not against lambasting bad ideas.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Oct 2017, 12:17 pm

I think the question is incoherent. My views are my views. There's isn't a side of people who think like me and a side of people who don't, but rather a broad range of views which are compatible with mine to various degrees.

I consider myself a liberal, and my views as "perfect liberalism", so naturally I don't hold any views I consider illiberal. That would be stupid. I support social, political, personal, and economic liberalism.

Things left-wingers dislike about me:

- I strongly support capitalism as the best way to raise the living standards of everybody. This includes global free trade and relatively low taxes.
- I am only in favour of nationalisation when a service is a natural monopoly, and even then I'm not dedicated to it.
- While I support "government options" in essential services like education and healthcare, I would not be opposed to alternative solutions that ensure that everyone still has access to these services.
- I support gun ownership rights.
- I support nuclear power.
- I support cuts to corporation tax, particularly on small businesses.
- I support genetic engineering and wish to deregulate it.
- I support the use of neonicotinoid pesticides.
- I support the European Union and wish to expand membership (including outside of Europe).
- I support NATO and wish to expand membership (including away from the North Atlantic).
- I support efforts to reduce the power of unions where they have shown to be harmful (most French unions, teaching unions throughout the West, railway unions in the UK).
- I support building houses on greenbelt land.
- I believe that liberal military interventions can and have benefited countries, and that many of the worst situations in the world are due to NATO being too timid (Somalia, Syria).
- I support university tuition fees, repayable on a progressive basis.
- I believe many problems in society are social and not to be solved with direct government action.
- I support a small government that gets out of business's way.
- I am softly opposed to the minimum wage, although I accept that I may be wrong on this.
- I am completely opposed to wage caps and price caps (except those dictated by the market).
- I am against most wealth taxes.
- Within a context of university admissions, I oppose affirmative action on the grounds of race or sex because I do not feel it has shown to be beneficial to those it targets. I do however support limited, evidence-based affirmative action on the grounds of class or school attended.

Things right-wingers dislike about me:

- I support the existence of unions, particularly in ordinary workplaces.
- I support Universal Basic Income.
- I wish to scrap Council Tax and Business Rates and replacing them with a Land Value Tax.
- I support global open borders with trade that is as free as possible.
- I support disability benefits and wish to make it easier to access them.
- I think universal healthcare has some clear advantages over most market-based systems which make it a valid alternative if properly designed.
- I support the European Union and want it to expand, including out of Europe.
- I support secularism, including religious freedom.
- I am opposed to hate speech and support moderate physical force against those who carry it out.
- I support abortion, same-sex relationships, polyamory, feminism, minority rights, neurodiversity, and intersectionality.
- I believe equal rights and universal economic security are essential to a properly-functioning free market.
- I support progressive taxation and do not believe deregulation is necessarily good.
- I support green energy.
- I support proportional voting systems, votes at 14, and multi-layered democracies.
- I support proportional representation within organisations and the media.
- I strongly support the UN target of spending 0.7% of GDP on global development, as long as that funding is well-targeted (it should be used to help people who need it; outside of crises, it should aim to stimulate economic activity in the poorest communities).
- I believe the tax system can and should be used to discourage undesirable behaviours and encourage desirable ones.
- I have a 21st-century understanding of prejudice and bigotry.
- I am opposed to nationalism in all its forms.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 2:46 pm

Technically
I’m pro gun,support immigration control, and support the military.
Most my other beliefs fall under the left.
I’m registered democrat but I’m ad odds with the party as a lot of them support an issue I believe is very wrong, I wish they’d just drop it.

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Oct 2017, 3:00 pm

Tross wrote:
Well, I think I'm firmly left, maybe the far end of left-centre. Umm...most people I know hope Trump gets assassinated. I know he's a dunce but I just hope he gets impeached and lives out the rest of his life without unnecessary bloodshed. Does that count?

Ok, there's the fact that I'm a Christian and if what I heard about the Democrats wanting to enact some BS anti-Christian policies is true, I can't say I support that.

Listening to political squabbles among Americans kills brain cells with both sides throwing petty insults at each other, dismissing any news not aligned with their political ideology as "fake" with no valid argument as to why, and placing issues of identity in front of actual pressing issues. I'm not saying identity issues are never valid, but most are blown way out of proportion and slapped onto situations where identity would normally not have been brought up. I've since adopted the stance that no matter your viewpoint, if you don't have anything smart to say, you're better off not saying it. I avoid listening to the President speak as he can't sound intelligent to save his life, but I've seen some pretty dumb comments on both sides of the political spectrum. I'm starting to think smart people are a rarity in the US right now.

I actually think that way would be more fun. I don't see what good would even come of him being assassinated? He just needs to leave the white house and that would be more fun because the look on his face when he gets kicked out the door. Whining and complaining from him may be no fun from him right now because he got what he wanted but when he lost it it will be so beautiful. Even if he resigned though that would be fine with me as long as he's out it really doesn't matter and once he is out we'd never really have to worry about him again. He wasn't a problem when he was just the Apprentice boss. I didn't like him then either but I could mostly ignore him.
Also he may be absolute scum but his young son Barron is innocent and would be very distraught over it. I mean I guess I kinda get it because assassination is an easier way to get rid of him but we shouldn't have to end someone's life to get rid of them. We have to believe that we can get him without going to that extreme. I keep hoping anyway.

I'm anti-religion but it's more about the concept and I am an agnostic theist so it's not all BS to me and policies that would keep people from practicing what you believe in (as long as it is harmless. ie don't kill in the name of god and don't condemn gays) wouldn't fly with me either.

I never understood why people took politics so seriously in the sense that they were so party happy so it was stupider then but easier to digest. Trump has unfortunately taken this to a whole nother level though..he's made both sides irrational albeit in different ways and that's probably what's the most dangerous about him. I talk about it because I think I should or he'll pull the rug under me. I can't be ignorant about it and pretend he's not there but sometimes I really can't handle it so I'm like bipolar with my posting online in general. I'll post for a bit to at least feel like I'm doing something but then I'll take a break and the cycle begins. At first when he got elected I was really sad..then I coped well because I decided to see him as a big joke and after a while it's still funny in a way it's gotten really tired. I am fatigued lately for other reasons but I also am legitimately suffering from Trump fatigue. There's too much stimuli today. Trump pulls a new thing every day. People lose their minds..the Trump supporters react saying about "but Hilary did this!" When I'm not working I feel so tired that all I really do is lay around all day seems like except for a time here and there on the computer like now and I am confident that this is one of the reasons. It's a fatigue like no other..that I haven't recalled experiencing before.
I know it sounds ridiculous but lately I've been thinking can we just get rid of politics and everyone be their own advocate for their life? I mean we could still have the police enforcing laws. Do we really need a leader of the country? Maybe make it a team effort..us input the laws/orders and have a non biased person checking them.
Or at least start fresh. Get rid of Trump and pick someone that most everyone will be cool with. Kasich? He wasn't hated just ignored. Irdc anyone but Trump and his crew is fine with me.
I don't even want to turn the TV on anymore half the time because I know I'll see his stupid face.

I'm overdue for a vacation at least a couple days away..where I can just have fun and pretend he doesn't exist but the money is tight so worried it's not going to happen

I think I went on a tangent idk? I do try to keep straight.