Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

billegge
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Nov 2017, 5:51 pm

Issac Newton walks into a White Supremacist bar and tries to fit in. He is later beaten up and thrown out the door for saying "Power to the colored people". He has no clue why this happened.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 6:59 pm

?????

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 7:10 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
?????

The ASD person doesn't understand the nuance that these "White Supremacists" have defined "white" to mean "colorless".

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 7:19 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
?????

White is a color.

The ASD person doesn't understand the nuance that these "White Supremacists" have defined "white" to mean "colorless".

So the aspie reasons that "White is a color. Therefore this group is all about power for folks who identify with a color"? So he yells that not knowing that "colored" means "nonwhite" to most folks including that crowd?

Okay. If you say so.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 7:35 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
?????

White is a color.

So the aspie reasons that "White is a color. Therefore this group is all about power for folks who identify with a color"? So he yells that not knowing that "colored" means "nonwhite" to most folks including that crowd?

Okay. If you say so.

It's why bathrooms were labeled "Colored" and "White".

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 7:55 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
?????

White is a color.

Okay. If you say so.

It's why bathrooms were labeled "Colored" and "White".

Well duhhhh.... I'm not an exception to the whole human race. I know THAT!
Ive heard of the old South Africa, and of the old Jim Crow American South.

That wasn't my point.

My point is that ...knowing that most folks on the planet are like me, and DO know that... I didnt get the joke.

I figured that the ASD person in the joke is somehow missing on social cues, or on something.

Your interpretation - that he was taking the concept of "White" too literally actually does kinda make sense. Taking things too literally is an ASD issue. But even so...I guess it could conceivably be funny if it were told right. Like the joke teller should have made it clear that the ASD guy had never heard of "White surpremicism" before .

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 7:59 pm

I got into an argument with a teacher in highschool, repeatedly, because I used to underline headlines with a black pen, and he insisted I use a colour, and he insisted that black is not a colour.

Later in life, I went to design school, and now teach at one.
I teach my students that magenta (the colour, not the place it is named after) doesn't exist.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 8:07 pm

Black is more of a color to me than White is.

When I road the bus with my mom around town when I was six years old I observed folks of different races riding with us, and noticed that the White fabric on a sleeve is not the same color as the skin of the "White" person's hand inside the sleeve, and that the black fabric on a sleeve worn by a "Black" person is not the same color as the skin of that "Black" person. Black folks aren't really "Black" and ditto for Whites, Yellow people, and "red Indians". All of those racial color labels are just hyperbole, and not literal. We are all shades of brown/beige.

billegge
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Nov 2017, 8:46 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
?????

White is a color.

Okay. If you say so.

Black is the absence of color.

billegge
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Nov 2017, 8:54 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Black is more of a color to me than White is.

When I road the bus with my mom around town when I was six years old I observed folks of different races riding with us, and noticed that the White fabric on a sleeve is not the same color as the skin of the "White" person's hand inside the sleeve, and that the black fabric on a sleeve worn by a "Black" person is not the same color as the skin of that "Black" person. Black folks aren't really "Black" and ditto for Whites, Yellow people, and "red Indians". All of those racial color labels are just hyperbole, and not literal. We are all shades of brown/beige.

You said "not literal" - an Asperger takes things literally. Issac Newton discovered that white was a combination of colors, black of course is the absence of any color. He would not say that black people are colored, but white people are colored. When he said power to the colored people, he meant white people because they are a combination of all colors, and so excluded black people.

I made up this joke from something I thought about a long time ago. I imagined a white person saying a colored person was ignorant and then a black person saying black is the absence of color and thus making the white person the ignorant one.

billegge
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Nov 2017, 9:01 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
But even so...I guess it could conceivably be funny if it were told right. Like the joke teller should have made it clear that the ASD guy had never heard of "White surpremicism" before .

True.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 11:40 pm

When a white people get too much sun they are red.
When they are cold they are blue.
When they are embarrassed they are pink.
When they are nauseous they are green.
When they have jaundice they are yellow.
How are white people not colored?

billegge
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Nov 2017, 12:18 am

EzraS wrote:
When a white people get too much sun they are red.
When they are cold they are blue.
When they are embarrassed they are pink.
When they are nauseous they are green.
When they have jaundice they are yellow.
How are white people not colored?

A long time ago they called black people "colored". The joke was if Newton, who showed that white light is actually a combination of colors, has Asperger that he would take everything so literally that he would call the white people colored and consider black people as being without color (black is the absence of color). Thus to fit in, instead of saying power to the white people he said power to the colored people which to the white people meant power to the black people.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 2:08 am

naturalplastic wrote:
?????

When white light go through a prism it divide itself in many colors, forming a rainbow: some of Newton studies on light were on that phenomenon. So when he say "power to the colored peoples", he mean the whites, as white is made of all visible colors.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 7:15 am

Tollorin wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
?????

When white light go through a prism it divide itself in many colors, forming a rainbow: some of Newton studies on light were on that phenomenon. So when he say "power to the colored peoples", he mean the whites, as white is made of all visible colors.

Exactly.
I later realized that.

I reread the original post one more time, and was reminded that it didn't say "an asd person walks into a bar". It says "Isaac Newton", and realized that the joke is a reference to Newton's prism discovery.

But thanks for pointing it out.

But even so...the joke still needs a lot of work to get it to work.

But the title of the thread IS "an Asperger's person walks into a bar". Newton is conjectured to have been an aspie by many, but the autism spectrum doesn't seem to have much to do with the joke.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2017, 8:25 am

It has to be known that black is bereft of color, and white abundant in color.