Is Trump really the worst US president ever?

Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 5:02 pm

Looked at the Wiki article she got it from. She conveniently left off the list of "best presidents". Obama was second only to Reagan on THAT list. And Trump was FAR down on the list.

It was a poll of voters and not of historians BTW.

All of such polls are highly biased by the passions of the moment.

Four, and eight years ago those kinds of polls would have Obama, and W. Bush, vying for the top of the list of both Best president, and the top of the list of worst presidents. Plus or minus, your feelings are strongest toward the most recent POTUS. Years later cooler perspective sets in. You might still feel plus, or minus, but not as extremely.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 5:59 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Looked at the Wiki article she got it from. She conveniently left off the list of "best presidents". Obama was second only to Reagan on THAT list. And Trump was FAR down on the list.

It was a poll of voters and not of historians BTW.

All of such polls are highly biased by the passions of the moment.

Four, and eight years ago those kinds of polls would have Obama, and W. Bush, vying for the top of the list of both Best president, and the top of the list of worst presidents. Plus or minus, your feelings are strongest toward the most recent POTUS. Years later cooler perspective sets in. You might still feel plus, or minus, but not as extremely.

I figured it was something like that.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 7:07 pm

There's still hope for Brother Trump. All he has to do is:

1. Stop those ridiculous tweets about the media and fake news.
2. Realize that this is a country of diversity and accept LGBTQ and other folks are part of its fabric.
3. Leave his religious rhetoric out of politics since there is a separation of and state in the US.
4. Forget about that ridiculous wall.
5. Enact gun control legislation.
6. End the war in Afghanistan.
7. Forget about arming teachers. That's just stupid military-state nonsense.
8. Stop saying that it's all about America. By default, we are our brother's keeper because of size.
9. Personally sit down with Kim Jong-in and help reunify the Koreas.
10. Condemn the alt-right, the KK, the Aryan Brotherhood, and every white nationalist organization.
11. Apologize for his s**thole remark and other disparaging remarks he's made.
12. Give his money away to charity, especially the homeless.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 7:35 pm

Trump won't do any of those things.....

docfox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Feb 2018, 10:47 pm

I'm not neccesarily for or against anything here, but i need to outline a few things:

Quote:

Though the content may not be the best, some would argue this is the most interative presidency ever; It's unfiltered through the media which does have proven biases.

Quote:
2. Realize that this is a country of diversity and accept LGBTQ and other folks are part of its fabric.

Trump himself afaik doesn't have any real agenda against LGBTQ.
Quote:
3. Leave his religious rhetoric out of politics since there is a separation of and state in the US.

Chuch and state are separated, unfortunately not church and politics.
Quote:

Wasn't funding for it approved?
Quote:

He's supporting gun control legislation afaik, particularly for more stringent background checks and mental health checks, as well as raising the age required to buy several types of firearms.
Quote:

Every president since Bush Jr has tried, it's easier said than done.
Quote:

This i agree with you on.
Quote:
8. Stop saying that it's all about America. By default, we are our brother's keeper because of size.

The constitution doesn't let citizens of the world vote. The system is built for American's best interests, just the world being a better place often aligns with that.
Quote:

...What? Do you have any actual idea as to the geopolitics of that and just how impossible of a task that is?
Quote:
10. Condemn the alt-right, the KK, the Aryan Brotherhood, and every white nationalist organization.

I believe he has, no? Plus I don't see any democrats condemning Antifa.
Quote:

If true, fair enough (I believe the s**thole thing in particular isn't confirmed)
Quote:

He gives and has been a insane amount of money to charities, and the homeless. This goes back to the 80's and the 90's when he actually was awarded a Ellis Island Medal of Honor for "Patriotism, tolerance, and diversity" literally with Rosa Parks.

Not all of these are neccessarily my exact view but just saying there's a lot more that goes into it than you're thinking.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Feb 2018, 8:48 am

docfox wrote:
Quote:

I'll give you the LGB part, but not the T. Trump banned transgender people from serving in the military.

Quote:
Quote:

Why would anyone condemn anti-fascism?

There are individuals who take it too far, but the organisations are good and positive. They have no moral equivalency to the racists and fascists that they fight. That's kinda why people object to Trump's "both sides" rhetoric. People chant anti-Semitic things, people protest that, and then a fascist kills a protestor, and Trump blames "both sides". Nonsense.

docfox
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Feb 2018, 9:09 am

The_Walrus wrote:
There are individuals who take it too far, but the organisations are good and positive. They have no moral equivalency to the racists and fascists that they fight. That's kinda why people object to Trump's "both sides" rhetoric. People chant anti-Semitic things, people protest that, and then a fascist kills a protestor, and Trump blames "both sides". Nonsense.

No organization based on hate is good and positive. The hypocrisy of this post is figuratively killing me. How can you sit here saying a organization literally built around being a hateful counter to "Fascism" (which they brand anything remotely right leaning as fascism), but when people with this group attack people with bike locks and jump people it's just a "few individuals who take it too far." - Antifa systematically encourages attacks on the "Fash." - It's literally called anti-fascism and the organization is Literally built on hate. You think this is a good idea because it aligns with your goals politically, and fail to see the larger picture.

I don't agree with fascism by any means, but how you can sit here and say Antifa is a good idea as a organization completely blindsides me. It's comparable to McCarthyism but replace communist with "Fascist." Are there legit "Fascist" rallies, such as the one in NC I believe? Yeah, sure, but a majority of Antifa's time is physically attacking anything right leaning as "Fascist." - You're all watching "Fascist" become the new string word just like accusing anyone remotely left leaning of being Communist in the 1950's was the norm. I can't suppport Antifa as a organization for the same reason I would never support a "Anti-Communist League".

The goal, and the reason the political left endorses it, is to ostracize the right into submission, just like how any liberal agenda 80 years ago was killed by being branded "Communist" - and that threat to our democracy is why I can't support it.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 11:05 am

He blamed video games for gun violence just like any other politician before him. My approval rating for him? Absolute ZERO.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 11:18 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
He blamed video games for gun violence just like any other politician before him. My approval rating for him? Absolute ZERO.

I just did a quick Google search. Apparently Drone Strike Flight Simulator is a real game.

If we were to ban potentially dangerous video games, we would probably have to start with that one.

We would also have to ban Monopoly, since it is a corporate greed simulator.

We need to ban these games that are training our politicians to be evil! :lol:

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 12:19 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I hardly think Lyndon Johnson should be on that list, as he is responsible for so much civil rights legislation. But one guy who should be at the top of the list was Andrew Johnson, Lincoln's successor. Andrew Johnson had tried to ruin Reconstruction for purely racist reasons, and was the first President ot be impeached (seems you can't remove someone from office who's an alcoholic incompetent, after all). Grant ended up having to clean up much of his mess.
But as far as Trump is concerned - he has not yet completed his term, and so can't be judged just yet. But if he was in fact guilty of getting Russian help to reach the White House, he'll certainly be up there as on of the very worst.

You have a point about Andrew Johnson, though I don't take back what I said about Lyndon.

I try to maintain an international outlook. Thus, I judge world leaders based on what they do for the whole world, not just their own citizens.

Yes. Lyndon Johnson did pass some civil rights legislation. He also allowed this to happen.

The big picture is what matters.

While I had heard of birth defects associated with Agent Orange, this is actually the first time that I've seen the horrific outcome. Yes, Lyndon Johnson bears responsibility, but unlike the likes of Andrew Johnson or Andrew Jackson, he hardly intended such horrible things to come out of his policies.

How do you know he didn't mean it? He would have known the consequences anyway. I'm sure the civil rights stuff would have happened if JFK had lived anyway.
He did a complete 180 in the Middle East which started pretty much in 1967.
I'd also imagine the destruction in Cambodia could have led to Pol Pot.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 12:21 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
None of your examples demonstrate incompentence equal to Trump's.

Is that a joke? Cause it isn't funny. Chemical bombing that led to 4 generation deformations.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 12:30 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I hardly think Lyndon Johnson should be on that list, as he is responsible for so much civil rights legislation. But one guy who should be at the top of the list was Andrew Johnson, Lincoln's successor. Andrew Johnson had tried to ruin Reconstruction for purely racist reasons, and was the first President ot be impeached (seems you can't remove someone from office who's an alcoholic incompetent, after all). Grant ended up having to clean up much of his mess.
But as far as Trump is concerned - he has not yet completed his term, and so can't be judged just yet. But if he was in fact guilty of getting Russian help to reach the White House, he'll certainly be up there as on of the very worst.

You have a point about Andrew Johnson, though I don't take back what I said about Lyndon.

I try to maintain an international outlook. Thus, I judge world leaders based on what they do for the whole world, not just their own citizens.

Yes. Lyndon Johnson did pass some civil rights legislation. He also allowed this to happen.

While I had heard of birth defects associated with Agent Orange, this is actually the first time that I've seen the horrific outcome. Yes, Lyndon Johnson bears responsibility, but unlike the likes of Andrew Johnson or Andrew Jackson, he hardly intended such horrible things to come out of his policies.

How do you know he didn't mean it? He would have known the consequences anyway. I'm sure the civil rights stuff would have happened if JFK had lived anyway.

Johnson had no idea what those chemicals would do in the long term. Nobody did back then.
Kennedy would have tried to push through Civil Rights, but he probably didn't have the congressional know-how, and just mean spiritedness to threaten and bully that Johnson had. That is in fact an assessment of modern historians.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 1:02 pm

docfox wrote:
I'm not neccesarily for or against anything here, but i need to outline a few things:

Quote:

Though the content may not be the best, some would argue this is the most interative presidency ever; It's unfiltered through the media which does have proven biases.

Quote:

Quote:

Chuch and state are separated, unfortunately not church and politics.
Quote:

Wasn't funding for it approved?
Quote:

He's supporting gun control legislation afaik, particularly for more stringent background checks and mental health checks, as well as raising the age required to buy several types of firearms.
Quote:

Every president since Bush Jr has tried, it's easier said than done.
Quote:

This i agree with you on.
Quote:

The constitution doesn't let citizens of the world vote. The system is built for American's best interests, just the world being a better place often aligns with that.
Quote:

...What? Do you have any actual idea as to the geopolitics of that and just how impossible of a task that is?
Quote:

Quote:

If true, fair enough (I believe the s**thole thing in particular isn't confirmed)
Quote:

He gives and has been a insane amount of money to charities, and the homeless. This goes back to the 80's and the 90's when he actually was awarded a Ellis Island Medal of Honor for "Patriotism, tolerance, and diversity" literally with Rosa Parks.

Not all of these are neccessarily my exact view but just saying there's a lot more that goes into it than you're thinking.

I am a liberal, not necessarily a democrat...but might vote that way in the next election to get Trump and his GOP out.

But I condemned Antifa just the other day because they've decided a band I like are 'nazis' and because of that their shows are being cancelled due to hassling by them including one that was scheduled in my State. So no I am not a fan, I do not think they are very anti-fascist at all.

The band in question are not nazis, they did pull a rather stupid stunt 11 years ago involving a swastika and I agree it was a stupid distasteful thing to do....but it was 11 years ago and it was just part of the show. I mean based on this why isn't Antifa all over Marylin Manson? pretty sure he's actually full on dressed like a nazi before for a video/stage-show and he's not a nazi.

Also though Trump did not really actively condemn neo-nazis, KKK and white supremacists, and in one statement regarding conflicts between left wingers and white supremacist groups he said there are 'very fine people' on both sides. IDK just doesn't seem like he has really fully condemned it so much as just said the bare minimum to where you can't really claim he actively supports it. Not to mention though a lot of Trump supporters don't have anything negative to say about white supremacists....in fact some of them were even marching with white-supremacists if I recall. So where is the condemnation of white supremacists on the right, if we are going to complain about lack of criticism for Antifa on the left?

Not trying to start a fight or anything, really just posting this for discussion...something to think about just to be clear. IDK getting sick of all the sh*t slinging on both sides I miss reasonable debate, where people present ideas without insulting each other.

Also though to my knowledge funds for the wall haven't really been entirely approved, but that aside it is ugly and it will negatively impact the ecosystem. There is a lot of wildlife that migrates through where the wall would go, putting the wall there will cut off the migration and negatively impact populations of wild animals and their ecosystems. This isn't just going to keep out a few illegal immigrants....it could cause a lot of negative impacts.

Also maybe Trump has donated money to causes to help poor and homeless people, but he still seems to very much support the status quo that keeps the poor poor, and ensures the rich stay rich and get richer. If he cares about the poor why does he want to cut food stamps drastically and replace half of peoples benefits with a box of startchy, processed food product? That could be essentially useless to anyone that has specific dieteray needs or food allergies. Not only is that kind of cruel, but actually Food Stamps stimulates the economy more because people still go out and buy groceries at the store, thus continuing to circulate the money.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 2:05 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
docfox wrote:
Quote:

I'll give you the LGB part, but not the T. Trump banned transgender people from serving in the military.

Quote:
Quote:

Why would anyone condemn anti-fascism?

They act like fascists themselves. They try to stifle free speech using violence and intimidation. They are paid trolls.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 2:10 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Johnson had no idea what those chemicals would do in the long term. Nobody did back then.
Kennedy would have tried to push through Civil Rights, but he probably didn't have the congressional know-how, and just mean spiritedness to threaten and bully that Johnson had. That is in fact an assessment of modern historians.

Then that is almost worse. Using chemical weapons on civilians without knowing what horrors lay ahead. The civil rights stuff was just a token gesture for himself. Given his murderous attitude to non whites in South East Asia and in the Middle East we know it had nothing to do with him caring about rights for non white people, so we can dismiss that. Also, talk about treason regarding Trump. Johnson let a foreign country bomb a US ship for over two hours. What a traitor.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 6:18 pm

In my opinion it should be Bush Jr. was the worst followed by Trump then Obama. Obama is often unjustly praised. Obamacare for example penalized the poor if they could afford healthcare even with subsidization and also since Obama the left got lefter, the right got righter and race relations is worse than before because instead of reconciliation it turned more into a war of the races.