Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 11:13 am

Recently (2011) while shopping at Walmart, it became clear that almost everything was made in China. There were so many items which were made there that it raised the question - could Moses have been in error when Moses claimed the universe was made elsewhere but not in China? Also, watched a dvd titled The Secret Garden (1993 - movie) and part of the storyline was about a young woman who was born in India and she said that in India there was a religious dogma/doctrine/story where a person could look down the throat of a famous man/whatever and see the whole universe inside of him. Of course, these ideas certainly challenged my basic Judeo-Christian belief system. What if the Bible is in error? What if the Bible has a single missed word or an error such as undotted i's and uncrossed t's? Can a believer receive refunds of all the money and love gifts which were put in the collection plate over the years if the Bible is only a fib and/or contains errors? A day or so ago (2011), Obama held a State Dinner and his daughter practiced her Chinese with China President Hu. It was not Greek, it was not Latin, it was not English, it was Chinese. What is the world (2011) coming to? Are these the signs which Jesus warned about? Is the end near? Should I stop shopping at Walmart and wait for the inevitable? Will Jesus tarry or not? - Politics/Walmart/Sears/Nordstrom, Philosophies, Religions

Last edited by pgd on 22 Jan 2011, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

phil777
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 11:18 am

If the universe was made in China, it might explain why it's so cheap... <.<

Honestly though, the only reason stuff comes out of China is because they are artificially lowering their currency, which is great for attracting foreign companies. Also, the creation of tax-free zones for them to install themselves into, the lack of unionizing and the limited human rights in China makes for cheap, obedient labor.

What more could you want when you're a greedy, profit-seeking corporate? =p

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 11:35 am

"In the beginning, God created the universe. Everything else was made in China." -Facebook page

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 11:59 am

pgd wrote:
Recently (2011) while shopping at Walmart, it became clear that almost everything was made in China. There were so many items which were made there that it raised the question - could Moses have been in error when Moses claimed the universe was made elsewhere but not in China? Also, watched a dvd titled The Secret Garden (1993 - movie) and part of the storyline was about a young woman who was born in India and she said that in India there was a religious dogma/doctrine/story where a person could look down the throat of a famous man/whatever and see the whole universe inside of him. Of course, these ideas certainly challenged my basic Judeo-Christian belief system. What if the Bible is in error? What if the Bible has a single missed word or an error such as undotted i's and uncrossed t's? Can a believer receive refunds of all the money and love gifts which were put in the collection plate over the years if the Bible is only a fib and/or contains errors? A day or so ago (2011), Obama held a State Dinner and his daughter practiced her Chinese with China President Hu. It was not Greek, it was not Latin, it was not English, it was Chinese. What is the world (2011) coming to? Are these the signs which Jesus warned about? Is the end near? Should I stop shopping at Walmart and wait for the inevitable? Will Jesus tarry or not? - Politics/Walmart/Sears/Nordstrom, Philosophies, Religions

One thing not made in China was axiomatic mathematics. This was a Greek original. It was invented by the Greeks to reduce the mass of empirical and heuristic "rules of thumb" used by the Egyptians and Babylonians for their surveying and arithmetical works. The Greeks replaced a multitude of handy dandy particular rules by a few underlying axioms from which everything else could be deduced by logic. This Chinese, who are and were extremely intelligent missed out on this innovation.

ruveyn

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 12:07 pm

Well- in my day everything on store shelves was made in Taiwan.

Taiwan ( nominally part of china) is a thumb print sized island with less populatin than Pennsylvania.

Mainland China is as big as the USA and has a fourth of the world's population.

So the world makes more sense today than it did in my youth because the fact that china makes everything in the world makes more sense than the fact that little taiwan could make everything in the world.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 12:12 pm

so what if it was?

Asia rules :P

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 1:41 pm

Finding a way to China, in order to acquire their goods (I think, primarily, spices and silk), was what propelled the discovery of America.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 1:49 pm

pandabear wrote:
Finding a way to China, in order to acquire their goods (I think, primarily, spices and silk), was what propelled the discovery of America.

Shortly after, the first Wal-Mart was opened.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 6:32 pm

pandabear wrote:

Yes.
It motivated the discovery of america, and -for the first 400 years - it motivated the exploration of America. They were trying to find a way around this dumb landmass in order to get to the far east (ie tind the fabled "Northwest Passage").

It wasnt until Lewis and Clark that the dream of finding a way to China around america was dashed.
So they had no choice but upen up Walmarts!

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 6:34 pm

Funny that China is eventually going to outsource to Africa as their living standards grow and people get too demanding. Who is next after that?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 7:32 pm

What did I tell you? Tirana all over again.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 8:37 pm

The Chinese invented papermaking, the compass, gunpowder and printing. Without these inventions Euroupe would not become the major power in the world. I read that in "China: A New History" by John King Fairbank who is the foremost American authority in China.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

22 Jan 2011, 9:54 pm

Face it guys, we are a fading memory. :(

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 9:57 pm

Arguably, China being dominant again is almost a return to the status quo of the past few thousand years

Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 11:22 pm

Actually while traditional Chinese beliefs do no specify that the universe was made in China. The concept of 'All under heaven' within the Chinese worldview (it's being revived by the present generation of Chinese politicians) states that heaven is closest to wherever the central authority is and that things get progressively more barbarian the further from it one goes.

Was not spoken of the soul.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2011, 11:53 pm

China, China, China, China, China topic

Chairman God's decision to outsource there is both a blessing and a curse. :lol:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo