Jeremiah 31:15 and the massacre of Bethlehem's baby boys

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Did Jeremiah 31:15 accurately predict the massacre of infants in Bethlehem?
Jeremiah nailed it! 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Well, maybe 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It was just an odd coincidence 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Absolutely not! 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Just show the results 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 7

Natty_Boh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 10:57 am

I'd be more than happy to discuss the fulfillment of Jeremiah 31 in the Gospels. Might even have a thought or two on Matthew's choice of quotes. But right now, you're content to discuss the question with yourself. And Wikipedia.

Whenever the day is done."

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 11:17 am

Okay, tell us how the Gospels fulfill Jeremiah 31.

Daedelus1138
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2011, 2:49 pm

Natty_Boh wrote:
Daedelus1138 wrote:
The "Psalm 22 effect" might well be in play here. Jesus only managed the first line or two on the Cross, but the entire Psalm is important to the context. Matthew only quoted a single verse, but both he and his Jewish Christian readers were steeped in the Old Testament - doubtful that any of them stopped, or were intended to stop, at reference's end.

Right, but Christians believe even the Jews steeped in this stuff missed it. Because they did not identify the Suffering Servant and the Messiah as the same person Jesus himself says he entered the world so that "those who are blind might see and those who see might be blind". When we say Jesus Christ is God, we are not making a purely positivist statement based on cold factuality, we are stating something about the nature of what it means to be divine, what is the highest goal a human being can aspire to, and in this case the values of the Beatitudes, which are rooted in humility. Many Jews on the other hand expected God to seize the throne of david from the Romans, or whatever secular power... by force, but Jesus Christ says, referring to the Cross, "when I am lifted up, I shall draw all men to me". So, the Messiah, being the embodiment of the patient and longsuffering God of the 102nd psalm, invites us to join his kingdom voluntarily and not through force.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 3:32 pm

Utter blather.