Why do you think republicans are flat-out bad?

Page 4 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 10:17 pm

Philologos wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Beaux wrote:
I didn't say anything about the economy and admitted to being ignorant. I fail to see any reason I can't express my opinion when proper disclaimers are given. :?

Every one has a right to their own opinions. They do not have a right to their own facts.

ruveyn

Now that is plain stupid. No two people have access to the same inventory of facts - that includes Siamese twins.

Yes we do. Just Google it.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 11:50 pm

Vexcalibur wrote:
TheBicyclingGuitarist wrote:
IF creationism were to be taught in science classrooms, I would have no objections IF it were done honestly. Sure, present both sides and let the students decide. On one side, literally tons of evidence of many different types. On the other side, NO evidence, none at all, and that other side ignores much evidence, and denies or distorts the evidence it doesn't ignore. Really, if it were done honestly, creationists would be sorry they wished for their religious belief to be exposed for what it is in science classrooms.

I like this. There should be a subject called "What people believe in". And every semester talk about beliefs.

"This is what Christians believe in". Show em cartoons depicting all the crazy stories and talk about the blurry evidence. Then we should have one about "This is what scientologies believe in". And one for Muslims and one for Jews. Include one for African cannibal tribes too.

I'm glad you like it. As I said before, most of those arguing against evolution are basing their opinions on really bad misinformation, PRATTs (Points Refuted A Thousand Times). I haven't heard any new arguments for years, only the same old denials, distortions and lies. It's scary but apparently a not insignificant percentage of high-school science teachers in the USA are creationists (and by creationists, I don't mean someone who believes in a Creator, but someone who seriously thinks that there is ANY evidence supporting the Young Earth Creationism viewpoint). We should have better teaching for teachers, and those not qualified to teach certain subjects shouldn't teach them.

You know, IF evolution WERE the way Young Earth Creationists present it, IF the evidence really did support both sides just depending on one's worldview in interpreting it, then of course evolution could be a fairy tale invented by atheists. I would love to see public service announcements on television and radio debunking the most common Creationist arguments, clearly showing how Creationists are NOT accurately describing the situation and are ignoring, denying or distorting the evidence. Of course it won't happen, because then government-sponsored ads would basically be calling certain religious denominations liars and fools.

And again, I am not against religion, not even against Young Earth Creationist religion. What I am opposed to are denials or distortions of the truth to misrepresent their religious beliefs as scientific in order to sneak them into public school science classrooms, which is clearly unconstitutional. So any Presidential candidate (such as Bachmann) who openly advocates such a policy is saying they want to do something expressly forbidden by the Constitution, and therefore should NOT be allowed to run for President (besides showing that they may not be rational or even sane).

As for the question of this thread, besides being hijacked by extreme religious nutjobs the Republicans have a history of screwing the poor, unfairly favoring the rich, and raping the environment. I appreciate the ideals of individual freedoms and less government, but we need some regulation to control greedy selfish bastards who would ruin everything for everyone just to make a quick buck, and as for individual freedoms, the Republicans are the ones who want to legislate morality and interfere with everyone's private lives.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 9:37 am

pandabear wrote:
Philologos wrote:

Now that is plain stupid. No two people have access to the same inventory of facts - that includes Siamese twins.

Yes we do. Just Google it.

THAT is fancy stupid.

A. I choose consistently Yahoo over Google for a number of reasons

B. I do not want to start trying to estimate what proportion of web toktok is takataka and not fact

C. Even accepting the basic premise, no two people would follow the same search path. Except for Siamese twins, who might.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 10:03 am

"inventory of facts" = mind
That's what I think pandabear meant.
No two people have the same mind.

cave_canem
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2011, 10:51 pm

Philologos wrote:
C. Even accepting the basic premise, no two people would follow the same search path. Except for Siamese twins, who might.

What? Why would your only exception be Siamese twins?

Also, many people follow the same search paths using Google. You say you don't use Google - but as you type in your keywords, a list of the most common searches using the word(s) you have typed in appears in a drop-down list. With a simple click of the mouse, you can easily follow the same search path as many (sometimes millions?) of others?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 12:51 am

cave_canem wrote:
Philologos wrote:

What? Why would your only exception be Siamese twins?

Also, many people follow the same search paths using Google. You say you don't use Google - but as you type in your keywords, a list of the most common searches using the word(s) you have typed in appears in a drop-down list. With a simple click of the mouse, you can easily follow the same search path as many (sometimes millions?) of others?

Siamese twins - it would depend on the precise - let us say splicing. If they are controlling a single set of keyboasrd / mouse limbs. And even then they would have to attend to the same things.

Certainly, the search enginers increasingly strive to inflict uniformity even on web browsing. But - unless one always clicks the first thing in line, which I certainly do not do - what one puts in the search box, and which path one follows after, depends on what is already in the mind which steers what one is seeking which determines which clues one follows. I doubt two non-novice users chosen at random would take the same path.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 4:31 pm

In liberal-leaning crowds, conservatives and Republicans tend to be villainized. Joe Arpaio (sheriff of Maricopa County, Arizona) is definitely outright evil; Rush Limbaugh is deceitful and an angry windbag. Glenn Beck has brought fringe right-wing conspiracy theories to the Fox News-watching conservative mainstream. Ann Coulter trades in anti-liberal polemics. Senator John McCain sold his soul to get the 2008 Republican presidential nomination and then in 2012 to retain his Senate seat against a Tea Party insurgency—a former prisoner of war in the Vietnam War supporting the U.S.'s disgraceful policy of torture of detainees in the "war against terrorism." President George W. Bush's policies put this country on the wrong track. I have a strong dislike for Religious Right Evangelical/Fundamentalist Christians.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2011, 6:51 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
In liberal-leaning crowds, conservatives and Republicans tend to be villainized.... outright evil ... deceitful and an angry windbag... brought fringe right-wing conspiracy theories ... trades in anti-liberal polemics....sold his soul .. put this country on the wrong track. I have a strong dislike for Religious Right Evangelical/Fundamentalist Christians.

Puzzled. This reads to me as a mixed message. Are those mentioned being demonized or are they demons?

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 1:01 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
I think republicans are bad because they are politicians.

I think Bachmann is a poor candidate for any office because she is clearly insane.

Or just SO stupid she somehow comes across as nuts.

Gwenwyn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Jul 2011, 3:20 pm

I think both parties villainize each other because there is an almost irrevocable ideological divide. Thus the other party becomes 'evil'.

Republicans, hating democrats, say democrats are welfare brats.
Democrats, hating republicans, say republicans are the super wealthy preying on the poor.

Are either correct? No, not really. Democrats tend to be younger (and thus less wealthy) so one might view their taxation rules with a wary eye. However, the same is true in reverse for republicans (i.e. that they wish to protect tax breaks with might benefit them the most). Neither side is inherently altruistic. Many republicans note that they 'donate' more than democrats, but often such donation is to churches, which a democrat may discount as a truly valid donation.

Ultimately, it probably boils down to fear. Fear, and lack of information (when it comes to hatred). I've seen some of what Bachman said. Some is outright stupid, some is randomly picked on by democrats. -shrug- People, right?

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2011, 9:14 pm

In fact, for most people [I do not say there are not nutso ideologues on both sides - I have encountered both flavors] there is not that much pof an ideological divide.

But the rabblerousers do their work well, and many a one among the Socializers and Socialized becomes convinced that THOSE people are inimical demons.

A major goal is to keep people from talking and comparing notes. Keep them chanting, don't give give them time to think.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 7:20 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
I think Bachmann is a poor candidate for any office because she is clearly insane.

Bachmann is just another Sarah Palin, IMOO.

As for the GOP in general, they are for the party
for rich people who...

-Don't care about the good of society

-Cheat on or don't do their taxes

-Speak only for those who like giving the poor a hard time, ETC.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 8:09 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

for rich people who...

:roll:

Okay so let's say you work really hard to start a business and you make some money as a result. Then you have someone that is a lazy bum come in and steal things from your store, but hey you can't do anything because he isn't as well off as you.

Do you honestly think that Government is any better than business, it's a thousand times worse and this thing about Government controlling businesses just causes more and more corruption. Most Rich people aren't like the irresponsible twits from Hollywood that think they are above the law.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 1:53 am

No, they're like the irresponsible twits from Goldman Sacks who buy the law.

Philologos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 11:32 am

nobody ever did answer my question. How can people talk so much without access to the subject?

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2011, 11:42 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

for rich people who...

LOL, this is too funny. Everything you listed applies to democrats, not Republicans.

Republicans are the ones who want to help people get rich, not be dependant on the government

Do you remember when Obama was putting his cabinet together? How many people had to be turned away due to tax problems?

The Republicans are the ones who want to help the poor help themselves, not be tied to a government check with no hope to move beyond that.