Homeopathy is stronger than antidepresants/antipsychotics

Page 1 of 10 [ 151 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2011, 1:35 am

I have taken the homeopathic capsules Stramonium 6X,told by an uncle who is homeopathic.Even though i don't approve homeopathy i have to say they really do work and are stronger than the others.

Tadpole
Raven
Raven

09 Jun 2011, 1:48 am

PLACEBO
1a : a usually pharmacologically inert preparation prescribed more for the mental relief of the patient than for its actual effect on a disorder.

JohnyJohn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2011, 2:00 am

How can it be placebo since i never gave homeopathy a thought?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 2:07 am

JohnyJohn wrote:
I have taken the homeopathic capsules Stramonium 6X,told by an uncle who is homeopathic.Even though i don't approve homeopathy i have to say they really do work and are stronger than the others.

I'd like to see your scientific peer review study. Believe it or not the psych field is pretty forthcoming when they find out a medication doesn't work or when there might be a non-medicinal beneficial treatment. OCD, for example, is known to respond to cognitive behavioral therapy often times as well as does to medication, while schizophrenia, unfortunately does not respond to talk therapy after onset and medication is usually necessary to keep people from psychosis.

Tadpole
Raven
Raven

09 Jun 2011, 5:13 am

JohnyJohn wrote:

Placebos work by tricking you into believing something will do you good, all it then takes, is a wish to believe a “person of Authority” and you trick yourself into feeling better.
The opposite affect can be achieved by the use of nocebo, where some person of Authority convinces you of a negative influence.
Witch doctors, chiropractors, homoeopathists, prayer “healing” or “laying on of hands” all share the same common ground. Their “treatments” is based on a Cult-like “training of the victims mind” to believe, and if you believe it will have some positive effect, then it will.
If you try hard enough you can even convince yourself without any interference from an outside person of Authority.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 6:25 am

Tadpole wrote:
JohnyJohn wrote:

Placebos work by tricking you into believing something will do you good, all it then takes, is a wish to believe a “person of Authority” and you trick yourself into feeling better.
The opposite affect can be achieved by the use of nocebo, where some person of Authority convinces you of a negative influence.
Witch doctors, chiropractors, homoeopathists, prayer “healing” or “laying on of hands” all share the same common ground. Their “treatments” is based on a Cult-like “training of the victims mind” to believe, and if you believe it will have some positive effect, then it will.
If you try hard enough you can even convince yourself without any interference from an outside person of Authority.

They are finding that placebo's (or I suppose belief in them) have real effects. While it may be 'all in your head', whet is in there isn't always imaginary.

Very strange.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 6:34 am

Homoeopathy would never work with me because I know there are no active ingredients in the medicine and they are effectively "fake" and only work by placebo effect. Hence there would be no placebo effect with me.

Homoeopathy is big business nowadays, big companies churning out tiny bottles of pure water and calling it medicine is a good money maker. I can't understand why it is even legal. Attempts were made by the Doctors association in the UK to ban the stuff in the UK, but the government overruled and said people should be allowed the choice to buy such medicines, despite them being fake. :shrug:

Anyone want to buy some homoeopathic medicine? I'll let you have a gallon for the bargain price of $100 per gallon! :P

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 6:36 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0[/youtube]

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 6:39 am

Judging by your recent posts, I think those capsules might have some severe side-effects. You should lay off of them drugs, bro.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 6:46 am

Tadpole wrote:
PLACEBO
1a : a usually pharmacologically inert preparation prescribed more for the mental relief of the patient than for its actual effect on a disorder.

Stramonium is hardly a harmless placebo sugar pill.

**Parts of the plant, especially the seeds and leaves, are sometimes used as a hallucinogen. Due to the elevated risk of overdose in uninformed users, many hospitalizations, and some deaths, are reported from this use.**

Would appear the active ingredient is a hallucinogen. Not surprising as even homeopaths refer to it as a mind altering herbal infusion.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 6:47 am

JohnyJohn wrote:

No wonder you have suicidal tendencies. I'd recommend stopping.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 6:57 am

cyberdad wrote:
Tadpole wrote:
PLACEBO

**Parts of the plant, especially the seeds and leaves, are sometimes used as a hallucinogen. Due to the elevated risk of overdose in uninformed users, many hospitalizations, and some deaths, are reported from this use.**

Would appear the active ingredient is a hallucinogen. Not surprising as even homeopaths refer to it as a mind altering herbal infusion.

Is there actually any of that plant in the "medicine" though? Homoeopathic principles require that a usually obnoxious ingredient is diluted many thousands of times, basically into non-existence, resulting in the final medicine containing only pure water and not even a single molecule of any active ingredients.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 7:20 am

TallyMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Tadpole wrote:
PLACEBO

Is there actually any of that plant in the "medicine" though? Homoeopathic principles require that a usually obnoxious ingredient is diluted many thousands of times, basically into non-existence, resulting in the final medicine containing only pure water and not even a single molecule of any active ingredients.

Assuming Datura stramonium, Jimson is the same thing johnny is taking then it's a well known homeopathic remedy also known to be a psychotic drug.
http://www.herbs2000.com/homeopathy/stramonium.htm

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 7:30 am

Lots of toxic plants are used, in highly diluted form, for use as mainstream medicine as well. In fact, mainstream medicine 'found' these drugs and their uses through folk medicine and homeopathy.

digitalis regulates the heart beat - it had been used in a folk medicine for dropsy for generations

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 7:31 am

They actually give him Datura?! 8O If so I hope TallyMan is right and the stuff is diluted into non-existence.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2011, 7:34 am

cyberdad wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Tadpole wrote:
PLACEBO

Assuming Datura stramonium, Jimson is the same thing johnny is taking then it's a well known homeopathic remedy also known to be a psychotic drug.
http://www.herbs2000.com/homeopathy/stramonium.htm

Yes, but it is irrelevant what the ingredient is if it is diluted to oblivion. It could be plutonium for what difference it would make. If someone dissolved an LSD tablet into a large public swimming pool and someone drank a teaspoonful of that water they aren't going to incur any effects of LSD.