Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SunsetColors
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Feb 2016, 6:01 pm

During W. Bush, I leaned on the more liberal side, but only because everyone I knew as well as everyone I looked up to in the media were too. I was huge on environmentalism, even though I didn't understand it much. This was all when I was in middle school. My father, (a very conservative man) and I would get into political and religious arguments every time I went to see him, my stepmother as well because I dressed in black all the time, but that's off topic.
I was not too happy with Obama in the 2012 election so I voted for Mitt Romney (although I wasn't too sure about him either) I was 18 at the time.

But the reason why I'm a libertarian is because the basic thing about it is this:

Libertarian= Conservative on economic and government issues, and liberal on social issues.
Now, a libertarian could have conservative views for themselves, but leaves everyone else alone when it comes to their lives. Like one could think very little about gay marriage, but feels no need to bash other people if they choose to get married, or if they are totally against taking certain drugs but feel no need to take the right to do it away from other people, because as long as someone is not physically or even psychologically harming someone else, one has a right to do, think, feel and say what they please. What other people do with their lives are none of my concern, unless they personally come to me for help.

What political party do you identify with? How come? And I'd like no negative talk towards other parties please, thank you.

(By the way, I'm not against gay marriage or taking certain drugs)

Last edited by SunsetColors on 04 Feb 2016, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 6:03 pm

Libertarian here, but vote for GOP candidates if they're not advocating pseudo-theocracy.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SunsetColors
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Feb 2016, 6:15 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Libertarian here, but vote for GOP candidates if they're not advocating pseudo-theocracy.

Agreed, and I'm somewhat a religious person myself

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 6:18 pm

Same here. I've been a Lutheran for almost 14 years.

TheExodus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2016, 7:56 pm

SunsetColors wrote:
Libertarian= Conservative on economic and government issues, and liberal on social issues.

You're quantifying one dimension. The political compass is, broadly, two dimensional. Left and right is mostly economic policies, up and down (libertarian / authoritarian) is social policies. It's possible to be left wing authoritarian or right wing libertarian, but it's rarer since most social and economic policies sometimes compliment and even intertwine with one another. Take your example;

"Conservative on economic and government issues, and liberal on social issues."

I think it would be safe to say that you would likely fit the class of right wing libertarian quite well, that is assuming that conservatism is a right wing principle where your liberal stance on societal issues would place you further from the few regarding government.

Of course, it's all abstract and shades of grey, so I could be wrong on the whole. I'm personally left wing libertarian, kind of middling affair so moderately far left and rather liberal, mostly aligned with the UK green party (in principle, not in practice; they have some strange policies). Despite being relatively far left, I find myself widely disagreeing with most others on the left side of the spectrum, but that's a topic for another time. :D

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 7:57 pm

Jeffersonian constitutionalist here.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

SunsetColors
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Feb 2016, 8:14 pm

TheExodus wrote:
SunsetColors wrote:

You're quantifying one dimension. The political compass is, broadly, two dimensional. Left and right is mostly economic policies, up and down (libertarian / authoritarian) is social policies. It's possible to be left wing authoritarian or right wing libertarian, but it's rarer since most social and economic policies sometimes compliment and even intertwine with one another. Take your example;

I think it would be safe to say that you would likely fit the class of right wing libertarian quite well, that is assuming that conservatism is a right wing principle where your liberal stance on societal issues would place you further from the few regarding government.

Of course, it's all abstract and shades of grey, so I could be wrong on the whole. I'm personally left wing libertarian, kind of middling affair so moderately far left and rather liberal, mostly aligned with the UK green party (in principle, not in practice; they have some strange policies). Despite being relatively far left, I find myself widely disagreeing with most others on the left side of the spectrum, but that's a topic for another time. :D

Well, that's what I've learned what being a libertarian was. Interesting to meet another who sees things a little differently

TheExodus
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Feb 2016, 8:21 pm

SunsetColors wrote:
TheExodus wrote:
SunsetColors wrote:

Well, that's what I've learned what being a libertarian was. Interesting to meet another who sees things a little differently

I think everybody has different theories as to how we perceive these things. Either way, it's your beliefs, so it's really your call. I'd recommend taking the political compass test just to see exactly where you sit, at least according to them.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 8:29 pm

On this forum libertarians are hard hearted. Conservatives are hard hearted and evil.
I'm a conservative. :twisted:

Last edited by Raptor on 04 Feb 2016, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 9:00 pm

There's a little quiz in the first post here that will let people identify where they fall based on policy positions rather than labels -- give the quiz (about 30 seconds) a try:

viewtopic.php?t=303548

And when you have the result, add it to the WP poll at the top of the page.

(I'm also a libertarian.)

There Are Four Lights!

SunsetColors
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Feb 2016, 9:09 pm

Eh, I like taking online tests for silly fun stuff. Not necessarily stuff like politics. It feels like someone else giving you a label with limited evidence- even if it may be legit. But thanks guys.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 9:11 pm

SunsetColors wrote:
Eh, I like taking online tests for silly fun stuff. Not necessarily stuff like politics. It feels like someone else giving you a label with limited evidence- even if it may be legit. But thanks guys.

Online tests are always fun!

SunsetColors
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Feb 2016, 9:23 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
SunsetColors wrote:

Online tests are always fun!

I know but geeze :lol: . I just don't want one to determine my political views. I'm an adult I could do that myself lol!

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 9:28 pm

Darmok wrote:
There's a little quiz in the first post here that will let people identify where they fall based on policy positions rather than labels -- give the quiz (about 30 seconds) a try:

viewtopic.php?t=303548

And when you have the result, add it to the WP poll at the top of the page.

(I'm also a libertarian.)

According to that I'm a libertarian.f**k that! :x
I want the oak leaf cluster for evilness pinned on my hard-heartedness ribbon.
I'm going to retake it and keep retaking it until the results reflect the mean jackbooted bastard that I've worked so hard to become.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 10:11 pm

^
If you really want to confound the liberals, mess with their heads by co-opting some of their issues, Bill Clinton style. The easy ones are criminal justice reform, drug legalization, etc, but if you really want to make their heads spin, do the math on which welfare programs are actually cheaper than not having them, and support those, it drives them nuts when they can't pigeon hole you.

Incidentally, I'm a very purple libertarian, as opposed to left, right, or center one, having positions pretty far to either side on different issues.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 10:25 pm

^
In the end it will still piss them off about the same as my usual method. :twisted:
Whether thier heads spin with confusion or explode with anger is all the same to me...

BTW: Be careful about accusing that certain person whose name I won't mention of making posts while drunk.
I got a TOS for it yesterday on the grounds of it being a personal attack.