Page 5 of 10 [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 4:47 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
My God... I seriously didn't realize that that little weasel was that bad!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Yeah, it's a recurring theme with him. This bit is something:

Quote:
Meanwhile, O’Keefe lost his job at the Leadership Institute in 2007 after a prank call he made to an Ohio-based Planned Parenthood clinic. During the call, O’Keefe offered a donation to the clinic on the condition that it would be earmarked to pay for aborting African-American fetuses. “Because there’s definitely way too many black people in Ohio,” O’Keefe remarked to the receptionist. “So, I’m just trying to do my part.” Leadership Institute founder Morton Blackwell said O’Keefe’s stunts went beyond the right-wing group’s standards.

http://www.salon.com/2010/02/03/james_o ... ionalists/

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 4:48 pm

simon_says wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
My God... I seriously didn't realize that that little weasel was that bad!

Yeah, it's a recurring theme with him. This bit is something:

Quote:
Meanwhile, O’Keefe lost his job at the Leadership Institute in 2007 after a prank call he made to an Ohio-based Planned Parenthood clinic. During the call, O’Keefe offered a donation to the clinic on the condition that it would be earmarked to pay for aborting African-American fetuses. “Because there’s definitely way too many black people in Ohio,” O’Keefe remarked to the receptionist. “So, I’m just trying to do my part.” Leadership Institute founder Morton Blackwell said O’Keefe’s stunts went beyond the right-wing group’s standards.

http://www.salon.com/2010/02/03/james_o ... ionalists/

Begs the question of what pranks were within their standards? Would it have been ok if he had said it should be earmarked for aborting poor fetuses?

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 5:01 pm

LKL wrote:
No actual voting fraud was in the offing, unless you think that "Mickey mouse" was really going to show up at the polls and vote illegally.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdV-c9d6Sa8[/youtube]

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 5:47 pm

TM wrote:
I think Christopher Hitchens statement on the death of Jerry Falwell is quite apt for Breitbart as well "If you gave him an enema, you could have buried him in a matchbox"

That is the more famous one. The one I like better was during an interview with Anderson Cooper. He stated Falwell should have been instead on the street, yelling and screaming with a cardboard sign, and selling pencils from a cup. As if Falwell would have been a good pencil salesman.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 7:39 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Breitbart was instrumental in getting ACORN defunded. That was useful.

ruveyn

I'm just puzzled by the world view of people who thought ACORN was in some way nefarious.

Any familiarity with the saying "Vote early and vote often"? They were essentially one of 'those'.

I am dismayed that you don't understand the difference between voter fraud and voter registration fraud.

Nobody expects Mickey Mouse to show up at a polling place with ID and try to vote.

Federal election laws required ACORN to turn over every registration form with so much as a single pencil mark on it.

Some of the people who worked for ACORN were less than honest.

There was nothing ACORN could legally do about that other than fire them. They still had to turn in the forms.

They even went to the difficulty of separating the questionable forms into their own stacks. But they still were required by law to turn them in.

Rofl, you and LKL are both awesome.

So I'll take it in faith then that every individual employees fraud consisted of names that were as supernatural as Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Errol Flynn, Dirk Diggler for the sake of getting one over on their bosses and not having any of the entries listed filled out by anyone.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 8:24 pm

There would be an established economic motive for a signature getter to submit a fake application and leave it there. There is no established economic motive to take it further. No such examples were found..

Quote:
Following the publication of the videos, four different independent investigations by various state and city Attorneys General and the GAO released in 2009 and 2010 cleared ACORN, finding its employees had not engaged in criminal activities and that the organization had managed its federal funding appropriately, and calling the videos deceptively and selectively edited to present the workers in the worst possible light. Despite this, by March 2010, 15 of ACORN's 30 state chapters had already closed

The only reason OKeefe didnt get prosecuted himself is that he turned over his raw tapes to California's DA for review. He eventually plead guilty in another case.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 8:31 pm

You don't have to take that on faith; what you should accept is the evidence that ACORN itself did not commit fraud, but was defrauded by some of its employees and did its best to make sure that no actual voter fraud occurred. Unlike Breitbart's pal O'Keefe:
http://news.firedoglake.com/2012/01/11/ ... il-for-it/

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 8:43 pm

Quote:
Election law expert Rick Hasen, who writes the Election Law Blog, joked in an email to TPM that O’Keefe’s team should “next show how easy it is to rob a bank with a plastic gun.”

That's a funny bit. But like North and Liddy, OKeefe will be seen as a hero no matter what law he breaks.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 8:49 pm

LKL wrote:
You don't have to take that on faith; what you should accept is the evidence that ACORN itself did not commit fraud, but was defrauded by some of its employees and did its best to make sure that no actual voter fraud occurred. Unlike Breitbart's pal O'Keefe:

The boss bears full and total responsibility for whatever any of his employees do. The wrong doing happened on his watch. He gets to climb the scaffold.

If we hold management responsible for what the crew does, then perhaps they will be more careful in who they hire.

ruveyn

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 8:52 pm

Newt Gingrich didn't get on the VIrginia ballot because he turned in 1,500 fake names. Should we tar and feather him or just assume that overly eager signature getters cut some corners?

Do you think these imaginary people will show up and demand social security next year? Personally, I think they are going to go on rampage and kidnap a bunch of white girls.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 8:55 pm

simon_says wrote:
Newt Gingrich didn't get on the VIrginia ballot because he turned in 1,500 fake names. Should we tar and feather him or just assume that overly eager signature getters cut some corners?

Absolutely. When people are made to answer for their lack of care, they will care more in the future.

Bring back flogging and the stocks!

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 9:02 pm

simon_says wrote:

Do you think these imaginary people will show up and demand social security next year? Personally, I think they are going to go on rampage and kidnap a bunch of white girls.

I did not know that. I have to wonder if Newt was at all in the loop concerning the false signatures.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 9:09 pm

Well, he says it was fraud committed by one guy he paid and that it was ultimately "just a mistake". And he's white so that should be good enough. I'm sure the fake names even sounded white so that's doubly cool.

Of course, I believe that these invisible people will steal our nuclear secrets and destroy the Republic. I don't have evidence of it, but that's what I believe and no facts will ever change my mind.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 11:17 pm

ruveyn wrote:
LKL wrote:

The boss bears full and total responsibility for whatever any of his employees do. The wrong doing happened on his watch. He gets to climb the scaffold.

If we hold management responsible for what the crew does, then perhaps they will be more careful in who they hire.

ruveyn

So hold 'em accountable for collecting a few thousand worthless registration forms.

I mean what was the net negative effect?

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 11:20 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
So I'll take it in faith then that every individual employees fraud consisted of names that were as supernatural as Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Errol Flynn, Dirk Diggler for the sake of getting one over on their bosses and not having any of the entries listed filled out by anyone.

Even if they didn't. Even if they turned in forms for people who were dead or nonexistent.

What was the effect? Someone still has to show up at the polling place with valid ID.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 11:21 pm

ruveyn wrote:
simon_says wrote:

Absolutely. When people are made to answer for their lack of care, they will care more in the future.

Bring back flogging and the stocks!

ruveyn

You know, ruveyn, for someone who likes to whine about government inefficiency all the time, you sure seem happy with some of the perverse incentives that go on in many departments. Namely, the excessive concern with any procedural error to the point where process trumps results or to the point where the marginal cost of particular safeguards way outweigh the marginal benefit.

But please, ruveyn, ignore reality yet again and go read summaries of Hobbes for the 1000th time, thinking that it'll spur something new in your mind.