any reasons why marijuana should still be illegal?

Page 2 of 16 [ 251 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 8:54 am

CrazyCatLord wrote:
Well, let's ask Harry J. Anslinger, the man who is responsible for the near-total global cannabis prohibition. I think this was his main argument against marijuana back in the day:

Yeah pretty much, how embarrasing :oops: :lol:

Fenster
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 May 2012, 9:47 am

Grebels wrote:
CSBurks wrote:
Not really. I think all drugs should be legal.

Why should the government be able to tell someone what they can or can't put in their bodies.

Because the government has to pay the cleaning up bill, or should we say the tax payer. I see more than one person with amputated limbs due to injecting, or scratching at those wretched insects, in our small town. But the OP said Cannabis. I think the evidence is that it tends to be self destructive. I wonder how it works out in Holland?

If the government were so concerned with addiction they'd yank Oxycodone from production.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 9:51 am

Fenster wrote:
Grebels wrote:
CSBurks wrote:

Why should the government be able to tell someone what they can or can't put in their bodies.

Because the government has to pay the cleaning up bill, or should we say the tax payer. I see more than one person with amputated limbs due to injecting, or scratching at those wretched insects, in our small town. But the OP said Cannabis. I think the evidence is that it tends to be self destructive. I wonder how it works out in Holland?

If the government were so concerned with addiction they'd yank Oxycodone from production.

But they might lose money if they do that...I kinda wonder where the opium for pharmacutical opiates comes from, it being illegal and all.

Fenster
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 May 2012, 10:02 am

Sweetleaf wrote:

But they might lose money if they do that...I kinda wonder where the opium for pharmacutical opiates comes from, it being illegal and all.

Most come from Afghanistan. Good thing the US Military "secured" all those poppy fields to "protect" all of us. :lol:

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 10:03 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Fenster wrote:
Grebels wrote:
CSBurks wrote:

I think it's synthesized but I'm not really sure.

You will reap what you've sown.

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 10:16 am

This is a quick link. It doesn't look very academic, but Kew is the place to find out about plants.

Opium and Western Medicine

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 10:18 am

CrazyCatLord wrote:
Well, let's ask Harry J. Anslinger, the man who is responsible for the near-total global cannabis prohibition. I think this was his main argument against marijuana back in the day:

There is a similar story pertaining to cocaine. Do you know what was in the original Coca Cola (tm) recipe? Cocaine. At the time Coca Cola (tm) was originally marketed it was believed that cocaine could ease stress and calm the nerves. Around 1906 there were laws passed to prohibit cocaine usage because it was believed that cocaine would excite Negroes to sexual frenzy and they would ravish white women. Similar laws were passed against the use of laudinum (an opium derivative) and that is how "drugs" became criminalized.

There was a time in the U.S. (prior to clean water supplies) that more alcohol was consumed than water, even kids drank low percentage beer (fewer bacteria) and "drug" use was fairly wide spread. Opium derivatives were smeared on the gums of teething children as a local anesthetic and such like.

The prohibition mentality took hold in this country and we even had a constitutional amendment which permitted laws like the Volstead act to interfere with our pursuit of happiness.

ruveyn

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 10:20 am

abacacus wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fenster wrote:
Grebels wrote:
CSBurks wrote:

I think it's synthesized but I'm not really sure.

Well some are fully synthetic but I think there are some that do contain actual opium....I suppose I'd have to look it up.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 1:01 pm

I think the reason it is illegal is because it has a demotivating affect on the user. And our governments need us to be stimulated (with drugs like caffeine) so we can continue working and shopping. They don't want us lounging around and doing too much thinking. They want us not thinking and doing.

sage_gerard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 May 2012, 1:07 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
So being of the opinion marijuana shouldn't be illegal makes one a wannabe rebel?

Not for people who genuinely need it for medical reasons, but stoners?

I won't say what they can or can't do, but I can't identify with the attitude.

Last edited by sage_gerard on 03 May 2012, 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TM
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 1:08 pm

Robdemanc wrote:
I think the reason it is illegal is because it has a demotivating affect on the user. And our governments need us to be stimulated (with drugs like caffeine) so we can continue working and shopping. They don't want us lounging around and doing too much thinking. They want us not thinking and doing.

In that case, why isn't meth and coke legal?

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 1:20 pm

ruveyn wrote:
...interfere with our pursuit of happiness. ruveyn

It's this very phrase that changed my mind about "gay marriage", it their happiness, not mine.

I realized gay marriage is not a moral issue, it's a legal one. If a corporation can recognized by the state as a person, then I have no problem with the state recognizing any two people as a married couple. Receiving a document from the state about a legal construct of marriage is perfectly fine.

My pursuit of happiness is for health, I use marihuana to address the effects of Parkinson's and Dystonia, and it works quite well, as many witnesses could testify.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 3:11 pm

sage_gerard wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
So being of the opinion marijuana shouldn't be illegal makes one a wannabe rebel?

Not for people who genuinely need it for medical reasons, but stoners?

I won't say what they can or can't do, but I can't identify with the attitude.

I don't see what is so terrible about using marijuana recreationally, people drink recreationally....and from what I've seen people typically get more messed up on alcohol than cannabis. What attitude is it you can't identify with?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 3:13 pm

The Truth.org kids in their carcinotheism would find anything burned and inhaled 'ewwy'.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 3:14 pm

TM wrote:
Robdemanc wrote:

In that case, why isn't meth and coke legal?

:lol:

sage_gerard
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 May 2012, 3:29 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
and from what I've seen people typically get more messed up on alcohol than cannabis. What attitude is it you can't identify with?

I don't identify with an outspoken desire to unnecessarily ingest behavior-altering substances for the sole purpose of enjoyment. I'm not saying its wrong, but I am saying that there are so many other things to enjoy that cost nothing. I support legalizing pot for the people who really need it, since my bias is not against those seeking treatments.

I just don't understand those who make political arguments when all they want is a "fix". I feel the same way for stoners, drunks, crackheads and others dependent on some substance.

Sweetleaf wrote:
I don't see what is so terrible about using marijuana recreationally, people drink recreationally....

That's like saying "I don't see why its bad to eat ice cream. People eat cake". Both are arguably innocent activities, but I would not bet my health on it.