gays against gay marriage? females against aabortion? etc.

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 4:56 am

So, I tend to make the assumption that gay marriage is good. But I've done some reading and it seems that some gay people are actually against gay marriage, so maybe I am just being a jerk trying to speak on behalf of a group that I am not a part of.

A similar point can be made for women against abortion.

So, is there anyone here who can enlighten me? Perhaps I need to modify my views slightly?

meems
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 5:03 am

One of the cool things about dating a woman is that no one is pressing me for kids or marriage. But that doesn't mean I think it's okay to deny that to others.

I'm a Jew against Israel! I'm not opposed to abortion though.

Revah
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 May 2012, 5:10 am

I know some people who are uninterested in the campaign for gay marriage as they believe marriage as an institution is outdated anyway, and so inclusion in it isn't worth fighting for. That's not the same as being against it, though, I guess.

I'm a woman who is against abortion. I don't want to get into an abortion debate, they're generally circular and ultimately futile online, but to explain the principle:

1. I believe that life begins at conception.
2. I believe that the right to life is a higher value than the right to choose not to carry a pregnancy to term.
3. Therefore, I'm against abortion except in cases where the mother's life is threatened by the pregnancy.

People who are pro-abortion begin to disagree at either point 1 or point 2, so they're carrying a completely different set of assumptions into the debate, and there's a conflict of values. Hence there's not usually any productive debate between the two sides.

I don't think being anti-abortion is incompatible with being a woman or even with being a feminist. It's just a logical consequence of my particular worldview.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 5:46 am

Revah wrote:

1. I believe that life begins at conception.
2. I believe that the right to life is a higher value than the right to choose not to carry a pregnancy to term.
3. Therefore, I'm against abortion except in cases where the mother's life is threatened by the pregnancy.

If you are male, your opinion is not worth a thing. Why? Because you never have to bear the risk of childbirth.

Only women need be consulted on this issue.

ruveyn

meems
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 5:54 am

I don't understand the term "pro abortion" but I should clarify: I'm not pro abortion, I'm pro minding my own business and not intruding on other people's dealings with medical issues.

Revah
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 May 2012, 6:03 am

I'm a woman, ruveyn.

Meems, I used pro/anti abortion as neutral terms to discuss the issue at hand. I find both pro-life and pro-choice to be overly emotive terms that twist the issue - after all, the people holding the opposing views aren't against life or choice as concepts!

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 6:38 am

I recall encountering one gay person on a gay blog who was opposed to same-sex marriage. He basically used the same argument everyone else opposed to it uses - "marriage is between a man and a woman." I think that gay people who are opposed to same-sex marriage are very difficult to come by. Meanwhile, it is not unheard of for a woman to be pro-life.

I think a lot more people are more "middle ground" on these issues, e.g. gay people who oppose marriage in its entirety, and women who oppose abortion but don't wish to see it criminalized.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 8:29 am

Probably gays who are also religious oppose gay marriage, as women who are religious also oppose abortion. Male ejaculant should only be ejaculated when entering a woman's vagina, and only when said man and woman are married and intending to procreate. Beyond that, one mustn't ejaculate.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 9:36 am

Some people view abortion as murder, including some women. Being a pro-life woman doesn't make you anti-woman.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 11:29 am

Revah wrote:
I'm a woman, ruveyn.

Meems, I used pro/anti abortion as neutral terms to discuss the issue at hand. I find both pro-life and pro-choice to be overly emotive terms that twist the issue - after all, the people holding the opposing views aren't against life or choice as concepts!

All the more reason not to use the term "pro abortion" because thats an even bigger emotional distortion. They arent "pro abortion", theyre anti laws against abortion- big difference. You might call them "abortion realists". Or just call them pro and anti choice so folks know what you're talking about.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 12:16 pm

heavenlyabyss wrote:
So, I tend to make the assumption that gay marriage is good. But I've done some reading and it seems that some gay people are actually against gay marriage, so maybe I am just being a jerk trying to speak on behalf of a group that I am not a part of.

A similar point can be made for women against abortion.

So, is there anyone here who can enlighten me? Perhaps I need to modify my views slightly?

To me, the concepts seem so disparate: one can hardly say abortion is in "women's" best interest, it is more that women are more likely to understand another woman's need for the option.

But I guess both require a level of personal moral decision, and gays can be Christian and conservative, just as the rest of the population can be, in which event they will oppose gay marriage on moral grounds, even if it goes against their own potential benefit.

Revah
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 May 2012, 12:25 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

All the more reason not to use the term "pro abortion" because thats an even bigger emotional distortion. They arent "pro abortion", theyre anti laws against abortion- big difference. You might call them "abortion realists". Or just call them pro and anti choice so folks know what you're talking about.

That's the same level of bias as calling them pro- and anti-life, surely? I don't think anyone is anti-choice or anti-life.

There are people who find abortion morally acceptable, and people who don't. Anything else is just semantics.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 12:54 pm

I believe that John Barrowman refuses to call his civil union a marriage because he views marriage as an inherently religious institution and does not want to be associated with a group that claims his lifestyle is sinful. I guess I can see his point, but he forgets that in the eyes of government marriage has no religious meaning whatsoever and that there are churches that are accepting of LGBT people. Myself, I see marriage as a commitment between two non-related adults who love each other, with also gives certain associated legal rights. There doesn't have to be anything necessarily religious about it, despite that being its origin. Even as a gay atheist I want to get married some day.

blunnet
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 1:06 pm

Revah wrote:
People who are pro-choice begin to disagree at either point 1

Fixed for you, and they don't actually disagree with your point one, the issue for them is about personhood rather than mere life.

Point 2. For the pro-choice, that applies to persons.

Quote:
so they're carrying a completely different set of assumptions into the debate,

Different set of values and priorities.

Quote:
I don't think being anti-abortion is incompatible with being a woman or even with being a feminist.

Is there actually an anti-abortion feminist?

---------

One idiotic thing I usually hear from few pro-lifers is the comparison of practiced abortion with the Holocaust.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 1:59 pm

I'd like to perform retroactive abortions on pro-lifers.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2012, 2:08 pm

I know a couple of gay guys against gay marriage. Both are very conservative republicans and see it as "special rights" and they are against that. They say they want to be like everyone else and not a "special group" and that "marriage" is for men and women so they don't want it. That's their opinion. They are also against abortion too btw. Like I said, those two guys make Santorium look like a liberal.

I also know LOTS of women against abortion. Just as many women against it down here as men.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com