Australia: land of kangroos, people that need to lighten up

Page 4 of 8 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 9:52 pm

cyberdad wrote:
The fact particular acts or events are outliers doesn't mean public safety doesn't come first in order to minimise the risk of accidental or deliberate fatality.

People put pool fences around swimming pools to minimise risk of children wondering into the area by themselves. In the same way guns should be kept in rifle ranges and security monitored where people (that way inclined) can go and shoot clay targets till they get it out of their system.

Acceptable risk is the term I'd use. Life is dangerous. If you want to preach about firearms in regards to public safety, you have a long list of things that are more dangerous that come first [that also aren't "needed" to live] and are legal (smoking for example).

But they can still own pools. Why don't they just ban private pools and only have public ones monitored by trained individuals? There's no reason to own a private pool. In fact, there's no reason to have a public pool (too dangerous), and there's no reason for us to open the beaches to anyone (too dangerous). There's no reason to own a private car. Trains and buses for everyone.

One problem with keeping firearms in a single place is that they're easy targets for theft. A pistol club here in Brisbane had a heap of pistols stolen several years ago. Keep them at a police station you say? Most illegal firearms actually come from the police here.

What you say about "nutcases" in response to Dox47,

Did you know that someone in the police or military can easily "snap" as much as anyone else (they have access to the most potent weapons)? Many actual rampages in countries that have very strict firearm laws have this happen. Police and whatnot are under a lot of stress daily....

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 10:09 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
All of which is academic my gun toting friend. Here's the reality
http://arstechnica.com/science/2011/04/ ... ambiguity/

A study that shows you're more likely to be shot if you live around guns? Kinda like you're more likely to get cut if you work in a kitchen? Or more likely to drown if you own a pool? Or more likely to be in a car crash if you drive often? Pfft.
Come back with an example of a violent country that was made non-violent by removing the guns...
I'll wait.

Care to explain why this is the case
http://www.nber.org/digest/feb01/w7967.html

That article does not factor in the ending of the crack epidemic, variations in the economy, variations in the education system, law enforcement involvement in a community, or any other number of factors that are a lot more significant than gun magazine subscriptions.

Furthermore, states that made concealed carry an option in the '90s saw a faster and more dramatic decline in homicides and overall crime than the national average.

The model community with high gun ownership is Kennesaw, Georgia. A year after they passed a mandatory gun ownership ordinance (with a couple exceptions), cut their crime rate in half-- ~79% below the national average. They went 25 years without a murder. In the last 5 years there have been 4 (2 in 2010). 1 shooting was committed by a disgruntled employee and 3 were committed done by thugs.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 12:47 am

Dillogic wrote:
Did you know that someone in the police or military can easily "snap" as much as anyone else (they have access to the most potent weapons)? Many actual rampages in countries that have very strict firearm laws have this happen. Police and whatnot are under a lot of stress daily....

Members of the armed forces and police are screened during the recruitment phase for serious mental flaws. Not foolproof but better than nothing. Perhaps similar testing needs to be done before issuing gun licenses to civilians involved in sports shooting.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 12:59 am

John_Browning wrote:
The model community with high gun ownership is Kennesaw, Georgia. A year after they passed a mandatory gun ownership ordinance (with a couple exceptions), cut their crime rate in half--

Sorry this town is unrepresentative of the rest of the USA. Kennesaw is a predominantly white town where they have a museum dedicated to (and celebrating) the Klan and strong membership of the KKK. The town was also successfully sued by three public works staff over hostile work conditions created due to their non-white ethnicity. Sounds like a pretty rotten place.

Secondly data suggests that mandatory gun ownership in Kennesaw has had no effect on crime when examined over a number of years*

* Hemenway, David (2006). Private Guns, Public Health. Ann Arbor, Mich: University of Michigan Press.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 1:44 am

cyberdad wrote:
Members of the armed forces and police are screened during the recruitment phase for serious mental flaws. Not foolproof but better than nothing. Perhaps similar testing needs to be done before issuing gun licenses to civilians involved in sports shooting.

You're in luck. In Oz, those who apply for a license have to go through all of the same background checks, in addition to a safety course run by the police. If someone has a license, you can reasonably say they're at least as safe as the government requires. The actual rate of firearm accidents is higher among the police force than the licensed public, just FYI and all.

Of note, I'm a big fan of the mandatory safety course (not a fan of other restrictions, but not everyone agrees with me there). I don't trust people to learn things on their own properly.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 2:31 am

Dillogic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

You're in luck. In Oz, those who apply for a license have to go through all of the same background checks, in addition to a safety course run by the police. If someone has a license, you can reasonably say they're at least as safe as the government requires. The actual rate of firearm accidents is higher among the police force than the licensed public, just FYI and all.

Of note, I'm a big fan of the mandatory safety course (not a fan of other restrictions, but not everyone agrees with me there). I don't trust people to learn things on their own properly.

On this we can agree then. But background checks will only bring up prior records if the person had a criminal record right? what about mental profile? potential to have a brain snap because of a mental illness (not talking here about autism, rather bipolar, schizophrenia and personality disorder etc).

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 3:01 am

An all-encompassing Federal and State background check. They have access to everything, even private records (it even says such on the application). Exclusions are wide; you can appeal them, but it's most likely not worth it in the end regarding the bother.

I'm also a fan of a background check. I can see the desire for lots of the exclusions; I wouldn't want someone who had drunk driving as an offense to handle firearms, as that shows a lack of responsibility.

I wouldn't want someone with a drunk driving offense to drive a car either, but they're pretty lenient there.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 6:10 am

cyberdad wrote:
Wouldn't know if anyone can actually "prove" that any one action made a country safer. There may be hundreds of things that need to occur to reduce violent crime including greater police, improved welfare, higher employment, improved mental health services and better education programs. What you are expecting is evidence of a simplistic connection.
So how is all this mutually exclusive from gun rights? You can't have all those things along with gun rights? Any sort of system is too big and massive to efficiently cater to individual needs, so it only makes sense that people should have an individual means of protection should the system fail. Fire departments don't eliminate the need for fire extinguishers, so why should the police departments eliminate the need for guns?

cyberdad wrote:
I retract...please don't shoot me :cry:
You retract your statement and yet you still show the same condescending attitude that led you to saying most gun owners are probably abusive parents. (Redacted)

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 6:52 am

Can any mod PLEASE explain why my post above got edited while cyberdad gets absolutely no s**t for his conduct at all?

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 7:28 am

AceOfSpades wrote:
Can any mod PLEASE explain why my post above got edited while cyberdad gets absolutely no sh** for his conduct at all?

Your post included a personal attack on him. Someone else reported it publicly in the place to report this things and I had to remove the personal attack.

I cant find any personal attack on his posts

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 7:35 am

spongy wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:
Can any mod PLEASE explain why my post above got edited while cyberdad gets absolutely no sh** for his conduct at all?

Your post included a personal attack on him. Someone else reported it publicly in the place to report this things and I had to remove the personal attack.

I won't deny that I straight up attacked him. I did call him a POS. But any one of his posts can easily fall under personal attacks:

Quote:
1. Posting offensive language, comments, video, or images.
Unacceptable content includes swearing; racist, sexist, homophobic language; behavior intended to provoke or belittle other members; violent or sexually demeaning content; sexual fetish; and discussion of excretory function. Posting graphic images or videos of people or animals being harmed is prohibited.
Sounds a lot like that "Are you gonna shoot me?" crap, and this is after he retracted his disgusting little bs about gun owners being abusive fathers.

Quote:
2. Personal attacks.
This includes insinuation, ridicule and personal insults, regardless of whether direct or indirect. Attacking an opinion, belief or philosophy is acceptable, but attacking the person making the comments is not.
He thinks merely owning a gun is a sign of primitive and violent thinking. Does that not go beyond attacking an opinion, belief, or philosophy?

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 7:39 am

AceOfSpades wrote:
spongy wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:

I won't deny that I straight up attacked him. I did call him a POS. But any one of his posts can easily fall under personal attacks:

Quote:
Unacceptable content includes swearing; racist, sexist, homophobic language; behavior intended to provoke or belittle other members; violent or sexually demeaning content; sexual fetish; and discussion of excretory function. Posting graphic images or videos of people or animals being harmed is prohibited.
Sounds a lot like that "Are you gonna shoot me?" crap, and this is after he retracted his disgusting little bs about gun owners being abusive fathers.

Quote:
2. Personal attacks.
This includes insinuation, ridicule and personal insults, regardless of whether direct or indirect. Attacking an opinion, belief or philosophy is acceptable, but attacking the person making the comments is not.
He thinks merely owning a gun is a sign of primitive and violent thinking. Does that not go beyond attacking an opinion, belief, or philosophy?

Those posts werent reported until now(they only reported the last page). I´ll look into them now

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 7:44 am

Thank you. I tend to assume that the moderating here works by cruising through threads but I guess it mostly works on the basis of reports.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 7:45 am

AceOfSpades wrote:
spongy wrote:
AceOfSpades wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
2. Personal attacks.

He is just giving his opinion on the subject same way we have to allow heavy criticism towards any religion we have to allow heavy criticism on any topic .
I cant find any post where he actually says that anyone owning a gun is an abusive father which would be unacceptable yes.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 7:53 am

cyberdad wrote:
(((Not surprisingly many gun lovers seem to also be abusive parents.)))

cyberdad wrote:
In my view gun ownership is a sign of primitive and violent thinking.

Imagine if he said "being a Muslim" rather than "gun ownership". To your credit though, the "Are you gonna shoot thing?" has been addressed. He already retracted the abusive parents thing too so anyways I'm just gonna drop it. I just get cranky about these type of things because I get too much condescending crap from people IRL who think I'm a knuckle dragger just because I do MMA and that somehow makes them so civilized and sophisticated. I can see more of this crap coming once I apply for a gun licence. They think being sophisticated and civilized is about looking down on things rather than conducting themselves respectfully, which I think is hypocritical and repulsive since I am a lot more respectful towards people than they are. I judge people's civility based on conduct, not based on how "intellectual" their hobbies are.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2012, 8:40 am

AceOfSpades wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Wouldn't know if anyone can actually "prove" that any one action made a country safer. There may be hundreds of things that need to occur to reduce violent crime including greater police, improved welfare, higher employment, improved mental health services and better education programs. What you are expecting is evidence of a simplistic connection.
So how is all this mutually exclusive from gun rights? You can't have all those things along with gun rights?

Arming people (civilians) with weapons to the point the community is awash with guns has a knock on effect that goes beyond making the community unsafe. It also creates a culture that teaches the next generation that problems can be solved using violent retaliation. Not a healthy environment.

AceOfSpades wrote:
Any sort of system is too big and massive to efficiently cater to individual needs, so it only makes sense that people should have an individual means of protection should the system fail. Fire departments don't eliminate the need for fire extinguishers, so why should the police departments eliminate the need for guns?)

Not picking on you specifically but none of the pro-gun posters here have provided evidence that a mild mannered accountant with a gun is going to magically turn into Chuck Norris if faced with 2-3 armed intruders.