Why do dark skinned males commit so much crime?

Page 1 of 16 [ 243 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

Jitro
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 10:30 pm

They are a minority of the U.S. population and yet they commit most of the violent crime. Is it due to poverty?

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 10:38 pm

PC much?

They don't commit most of the crime, they just commit more of it when compared to other ethnicity's and get the most media attention.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 10:50 pm

USMCnBNSFdude wrote:
PC much?

They don't commit most of the crime, they just commit more of it when compared to other ethnicity's and get the most media attention.

It's the kind of thing where local LA radio host Doug McIntyre would say that the kinds of crimes that people easily get caught for involve a lot of inefficiency, there's a high risk for barely any reward. If one wanted to steal as much money as possible and get away with it, one should seriously consider becoming an attorney. CEOs, politicians and other 'white collar' criminals get their share of media attention but the lawyers often fall between the cracks

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 11:18 pm

Here in CA, the Feds just released a report that says black and native American high school children are punished more than white kids. It seemed like the report was skewed to make it look like the authority figures were being racist because they were interpreting cultural differences as rude and aggressive behavior.

I'd like to know how rude and aggressive behavior is cultural. I know Italian families that are really loud, but that's just when they're with their family. We're not talking about kids who just got off some boat from a foreign land, but students who have been in the same school system since preschool.

I do have black neighbors on either side. One is a total racist family. The other is what I would call regular people - skin color isn't an issue - we're just people. The racists hate anyone who is white and they're so pushy with everyone in general. They don't know how to take care of their property. When their mess slops over into our yard, we end up having to call the City. (Seriously, their water main was broken for 3 months and created a 1/2 acre swamp before we reported the mosquito infestation and the City had to make them fix it.) The family blames us for their troubles and they're constantly throwing trash over the fence, calling us racist names. This behavior goes on largely unchecked, like it's their right. To me, it's no mystery why there are more black people incarcerated.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 11:31 pm

Maybe it's just the media choosing to broadcast more ethnic related crimes than non-ethnic related ones, hereby making it look like crimes by ethnic people happen more often.

Conversely, how often do you see news reports of ethnic people being the victims of crime? (ie. kidnapping, child murders, etc). Not often.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 11:47 pm

Crime rates are generally dependent on ones socioeconomic level. The further down that ladder you go, the more crime there will be, regardless of race. Couple that with institutionalized racism and criminalization of their culture in general by those who hold the dominant position in society in an effort to ensure control over them and it's not hard to see why there are disproportionate numbers of young, poor, men from certain ethnic backgrounds and cultures who commit crime.

Mods: Should this be moved to PPR?

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2012, 11:59 pm

blue_bean wrote:
Conversely, how often do you see news reports of ethnic people being the victims of crime? (ie. kidnapping, child murders, etc). Not often.

Exactly. Dark-skinned males may or may not commit more crimes. It's certain that they are arrested and convicted more often, and I accept the possibility that that is because they commit more crimes. At the same time, I also recognize that they are targeted by police and that they receive less leniency than women or light skinned men, which is skewing the statistics.

But one thing that is known, though not advertised, is that males from ethnic minorities are also the people most likely to be the victims of violent crimes. A black man is far more likely to be assaulted or killed than a white woman, yet it is white people (particularly women) who are taught by the media to be frightened.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 12:21 am

The same reasons white people can't dance and Asians are good at math probably

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 12:38 am

Last week in Seattle a white male killed 5 people then himself. A day later a 19 year old white male killed a 13 year old.

Moonhawk
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 12:58 am

Uhm over here just as more other people with different skin colors commit crime, but for some reason the media has a lot more attention for dark skinned people when they commit crimes which i think is quite evil, and i'm not even dark skinned myself :o

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 1:05 am

It may be a matter perception of reality vs. actual reality. I.e. if you're black and get pulled over you're probably more likely to end up cuffed and sitting on the curb while the police search your vehicle, regardless of any probable cause. And, when people (i.e. your neighbors) see you sitting there they'll tend to assume that you are guilty of something, because when they get pulled over that never happens to them.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 2:14 am

Moved from random to PPR

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 2:36 am

Kjas wrote:
Crime rates are generally dependent on ones socioeconomic level. The further down that ladder you go, the more crime there will be, regardless of race. Couple that with institutionalized racism and criminalization of their culture in general by those who hold the dominant position in society in an effort to ensure control over them and it's not hard to see why there are disproportionate numbers of young, poor, men from certain ethnic backgrounds and cultures who commit crime.

Mods: Should this be moved to PPR?

kjas is quite correct. this phenomenon is an after effect of the imperialist ideology (i.e. in terms of higher poverty levels among non-whites, and also a generalised notion of non-whites being inferior and uncivilised).

as a means of justifying and reinforcing the subjugation of colonised nations, an ideology of racial inferiority was adopted and foisted upon the masses in the western nations.

what we see now is the aftermath of this.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

WilliamWDelaney
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 7:15 am

Jitro wrote:
They are a minority of the U.S. population and yet they commit most of the violent crime. Is it due to poverty?
My ancestors were rich, and they owned slaves. I am presently very much enjoying that fact. A lot of their ancestors were slaves, and then their parents and grandparents were treated worse than dogs for a hundred years.

Do you need any further explanation?

DC
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 7:30 am

Inequality - Being desperately poor and craving material wealth for status in a consumer society leads a lot of people into crime.

Culture - When most of your cultural icons are rappers boasting about gun crime and ho's, it sets a bad example.

Drugs - The poor become dependent on drugs far more often than the middle classes do.

War on Drugs - The sentencing for crack is 40 times harsher than the sentencing for coke, poor blacks use crack and rich white city bankers use coke but the rich guys rarely get prosecuted and can afford good lawyers when they do.

Racism - The NYPD did some quite detailed research into racism in the police force and found that even black officers are more likely to shoot black people in an identical controlled situation. There is an inbuilt assumption that a black kid walking down the street in a hoodie is up to no good.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2012, 10:02 am

I'll be controversial again, as it's been blamed mostly on poverty and racism until now. I'll blame it mostly on cultural issues.

Crime rates? Relatively speaking, 55-65%

Where I live, there are similar figures. People from the Antilles and from Africa, especially young men, are extremely likely to be involved in crime. Recently, it was revealed more than half of the young men from North Africa and the Antilles had been held by police on suspicion of serious crime. That's not because of racism - the type of crime they're involved in is also much more violent. It's the type of crime that can't go unnoticed - rape, robbery, forced prostitution, inflicting physical injury and murder. It's not because of a small group either - there are tens of thousands of Antillean and North African young men in each city.

What we should remember is that we're not talking about overall crime rates - we're talking about relative crime rates. In this country, the following is true. If you put a hundred young white men and a hundred young black men in separate groups, approximately twenty of the first will have been held by police for crime, and fifty-five of the second. That's a difference between a fifth and a clear majority. Adding to that, bike theft - a crime traditionally committed by dark-skinned people - is generally not worth the police's attention, so we know the actual figure for the second group could be much higher and these figures are about serious crimes. If you add a third, brown-skinned group - Moroccans - the third group will contain sixty-five young men who have been held by police.

Is it about poverty, then? No.

Firstly, Chinese people arrived under worse circumstances, were subject to the same amount of racism, and kept arriving throughout the time that Antilleans and North Africans arrived. However, Chinese people immediately adapted, spoke our language properly, worked hard to make enough money to start businesses, made money from stores and restaurants, used that money to send their children to university, and are now remarkably well-educated and sophisticated, sometimes even more so than ethnic Dutch people. Meanwhile, we're at our fifth generation of Moroccans and third or fourth generation for Antilleans and Surinamers, and they're still in the very same situation they arrived in - refusing contact with most other ethnic groups, over-represented in crime, over-represented in welfare, poorly-educated and complaining how we're racists keeping them down.

Secondly, we might have higher minority crime rates than most other countries, and we've been helping them like there's no tomorrow while mostly ignoring the more succesful groups like the Chinese, Indonesians and Eastern Europeans. We have government-funded agencies that document cases of discrimination, the first article in our constitution forbids discrimination based on skin colour, we have a very high welfare standard, we fund islamic schools, mosques and cultural institutions for minorities (we even funded tropical holidays for them), and we have high-quality housing for a low rent, which most of them use.

Racism?

Now, this could be blamed on interior racism were it not for accurate information on former colonies and dependencies that were released into independence in the past 40 years. After a stable rule for several centuries, it took the new government of Suriname five years before they'd had a coup d'état and started murdering each other over political disagreements, fitting them right in with Africa. Although they started out on relatively equal grounds with plenty of potential for development, they blew it due to their violence and political unrest and they're nowhere near our level of development 40 years later, despite billions of our money poured in as foreign aid.

Curaçao, an Afro-Caribbean majority constituent country with a separate government, suffers from chronic corruption and drug crime. They're known for having a disturbing amount of corruption, and for being the source of most drugs smuggled here. Recently, it was revealed their secret service had planned to overthrow their government. The government responded by sending all employees of the secret service home until further notice, and the Dutch parliament had to investigate. The same applies to Aruba - even with the perfect tourism situation, it's a politically-unstable, corrupt centre of crime. Additionally, even with the perfect situation for tourism, we have to pour large amounts of money into their economy each year.

Explanation?

Culture, mostly. All problematic groups have the characteristic that they tend to keep to themselves in social contacts. My Cape Verdian neighbours are only seen outside when they're having a drug deal in front of my house. A few neighbours tried to talk to them, but they showed themselves genuinely disinterested and closed. They keep their curtains closed, and the only time I've seen the guy interact with their children was when he showed them how fun it was to throw fireworks at me and some friends of mine. Hilarious. Officially, she is a single mother, as he has 'no known place of residence', so she's allowed more benefits. The police wasn't allowed to do anything beyond putting a van next to their house for two hours in the early evening, even after everyone complained to the police about their midnight drug deals. The children can finally play outside now - with a motorised vehicle, on the sidewalk next to their house, if they don't interact with other children.

It's been observed that most of the criminal Moroccan men marry women who are brought in from Morocco, as they deem Moroccan women 'too progressive'. They keep to themselves in neighbourhoods with large concentrations - often, majorities - of one minority group, only leaving those for holidays or crime. There's the Schilderswijk in The Hague, for example, which is probably the largest - and most heavily subsidised - concentration of Turkish people outside of Turkey. Or the Bijlmer, a neighbourhood in Amsterdam where more Afro-Caribbean Antilleans seem to live than on the islands themselves.

Mainly, it's interesting to compare these minorities to other minorities that are doing well. Indonesians and Chinese people, mainly. There are a lot of Indonesians in the Netherlands, but there aren't too many problems involving them, except that one time they were attacked by Moroccans in several cities over some kind of perceived honour thing.