No 39%  39%  [ 15 ]
Just Show the Results 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 38

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 9:50 am

TheBicyclingGuitarist wrote:

I would add that while some of the ideals of the Tea Party are quite noble and I agree with them in principle (the ideals of limited government, fiscal accountability, and individual freedom), it seems that very many of those in the Tea Party are ignorant bigoted racists and what they are trying to do and the way they go about doing it goes AGAINST the principles they claim to represent as I see it. For example, it is quite common to hear someone in the Tea Party try to legislate reality in public school science classrooms, or openly say they want America to become a theocracy when that is the opposite of what the Founding Fathers intended and clearly stated.

I think everyone agrees with fiscal responsibility, but people disagree on how to do it. Some people think the answer to fixing the budget is cutting 6 million dollars to PBS, privatizing education, and increasing military spending. Others think we should become more efficient with spending but that programs that do help poor people should be left intact.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 10:34 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
Fox News does apparently shill its viewers quite often for contributions to Political Action Committees

Here is Dick Morris, cinically using Hurricane Sandy to ask for money

http://mediamatters.org/mobile/blog/201 ... r-s/191000

Oral Roberts himself was less shameless.

Mike Huckabee does it

http://newsodrome.com/journalism_news/h ... s-10218622

And, of course, Fox shamelessly promoted SarahPac to its cult-viewers

http://mediamatters.org/video/2011/05/2 ... our/180087

The principal goals of a cult being to exert thought control over its members and to bring in money: Fox "News" is most definitely a cult.

I find it interesting that you are using Media Matters as a source, when they essentially declared war on Fox News and yet claim to be a nonpartisan organization to get tax-exempt status...

Media Matters literally has no credibility when it comes to their reporting, as evidenced by the fact they admitted they were going to use "sabotage" as a method to take down Fox News...

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 10:45 am

Inuyasha wrote:
I find it interesting that you are using Media Matters as a source, when they essentially declared war on Fox News and yet claim to be a nonpartisan organization to get tax-exempt status...

Media Matters literally has no credibility when it comes to their reporting, as evidenced by the fact they admitted they were going to use "sabotage" as a method to take down Fox News...

Q.E.D.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 11:01 am

ArrantPariah wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Q.E.D.

Hey ArrantPariah, it's called reading you should try it sometime.

The liberal group Media Matters has quietly transformed itself in preparation for what its founder, David Brock, described in an interview as an all-out campaign of “guerrilla warfare and sabotage” aimed at the Fox News Channel.

The group, launched as a more traditional media critic, has all but abandoned its monitoring of newspapers and other television networks and is narrowing its focus to Fox and a handful of conservative websites, which its leaders view as political organizations and the “nerve center” of the conservative movement. The shift reflects the centrality of the cable channel to the contemporary conservative movement, as well as the loathing it inspires among liberals — not least among the donors who fund Media Matters’ staff of about 90, who are arrayed in neat rows in a giant war room above Massachusetts Avenue.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/03 ... z2BSUKaPTN

Politico isn't exactly a conservative news outlet, looks more like the person whom is in a cult is you ArrantPariah, considering this is probably the 5th time I've posted this source up for you to read...

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 11:03 am

(Q.E.D.)^2

Even the Mormons aren't this pushy.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 11:15 am

Quote:
Even the Mormons aren't this pushy.

Wait until Mitt declares a national "Morona Day".

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 1:18 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
The trick with Fox News if you have to know when their News Segments are and when their "editorials" are.

In the case of Special Report the editorials start at 6:30 eastern time. Sheppard Smith's program at 7 pm is a straight up news hour. Then from 8 pm on you normally get commentators like O'Reilly, Hannity, and Greta.

One trick that many people use to try to claim Fox News' "bias" is they try to compare other networks "news" segments to Sean Hannity, that's like comparing apples and bowling balls. Sean Hannity is a commentator, if he is comparable to other Networks' news broadcasts then that should set off some alarm bells.

Cults also seek to take up all of their members' time, and to keep members isolated from the outside world. Fox News does accomplish this, apparently.

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 5:25 pm

I don't mind that the media is liberal. I mind that the media is liberal, and cannot admit it to itself first and foremost, and of course, to those who consume it. They know what they are doing when they bring conservatives on only to also bring on a liberal to rebut every comment, lest a normal thinking person would ever think of them as being biased. It is funny that to cite the NYTimes is not biased, but to cite the WSJ editorials is.

The fact that Fox rules all news sources with half the market proves that the market is biased, funneling all conservatives to only one outlet. The same is true of the WSJ as the number one paper of the nation (last I checked), you cannot get conservative thought anywhere to the extent you do with the WSJ. The LA Times has Jonah Goldberg, The NYTimes has David Brooks and Ross Douthat, but they are outnumbered 15 to 1 on the editorial board.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 6:37 pm

MarketAndChurch wrote:
I don't mind that the media is liberal. I mind that the media is liberal, and cannot admit it to itself first and foremost, and of course, to those who consume it. They know what they are doing when they bring conservatives on only to also bring on a liberal to rebut every comment, lest a normal thinking person would ever think of them as being biased. It is funny that to cite the NYTimes is not biased, but to cite the WSJ editorials is.

I don't believe that most of the "media" is "liberal." Most of the "media" seeks to be objective, and to report the news in somewhat balanced ways. Fox "News" just accuses the "media" of being "liberal" because the "media" is not constantly bashing President Obama and seeking desperately to promote Repugnican causes.

MarketAndChurch wrote:
The fact that Fox rules all news sources with half the market proves that the market is biased,

Q.N.E.D.

MarketAndChurch wrote:
funneling all right-wing nut-jobs to only one outlet.
Corrected.

MarketAndChurch wrote:
The same is true of the WSJ as the number one paper of the nation (last I checked), you cannot get conservative thought anywhere to the extent you do with the WSJ. .

The Wall Street Journal used to have credibility. Now, it is just another Rupert Murdoch tabloid.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 9:50 pm

The only thing I remember seeing broadcast on FOX News was a video on YouTube about a woman who was allegedly accidentally shot during intercourse ("1Guy,1Girl,1Gun" or "That weird part of the Internet"). I didn't believe it until I saw that it was validated by a number of other sites (and even the friend of the woman talking about it). If I want to see any news, it better be about bizarre/funny things or something relating to my interests (even then, I just go to YouTube or any other site with videos).

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 11:05 am

Are Fox Cult Members presently sobbing, and blaming themselves for not beating Barack Hussein Obama? Possibly that they didn't give enough of their money to the Political Action Committees endorsed on Fox?

Are they also covering their guilt by lashing out at "Liberals Elites" and the "Liberal Media", for not bashing Obama enough?

Ah, this is a great day, for those of us who don't imbibe the Fox Kool-Aid.

DiscardedWhisper
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2012, 11:32 am

So let me get this straight, people think Fox News is a cult based on something written in the Huffington Post? A blog that expects to be taken seriously as a news site even though it's entirely staffed by leftist zealots who wouldn't know a hard news story if it jumped out of an air vent and started mercilessly humping their trachea?

You know I can understand not watching Fox News or not agreeing with what's said there. But calling them a cult? That's just plain ignorant.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 12:03 pm

DiscardedWhisper wrote:
So let me get this straight, people think Fox News is a cult based on something written in the Huffington Post? A blog that expects to be taken seriously as a news site even though it's entirely staffed by leftist zealots who wouldn't know a hard news story if it jumped out of an air vent and started mercilessly humping their trachea?

The Huffington Post article was just the start of the discussion. Further analysis, including input from cult members in the present discussion, confirms the conclusion. Merely characterizing a site as "entirely staffed by leftist zealots who wouldn't know a hard news story if it jumped out of an air vent and started mercilessly humping their trachea" does not automatically mean that an article taken from the site is wrong.

DiscardedWhisper
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2012, 12:08 pm

ArrantPariah wrote:
DiscardedWhisper wrote:

The Huffington Post article was just the start of the discussion. Further analysis, including input from cult members in the present discussion, confirms the conclusion. Merely characterizing a site as "entirely staffed by leftist zealots who wouldn't know a hard news story if it jumped out of an air vent and started mercilessly humping their trachea" does not automatically mean that an article taken from the site is wrong.

It was an exaggeration in an attempt to be humorous. My point is that Fox News is no more a cult than any other media organization, and that such insinuations are inherently ignorant.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 12:22 pm

DiscardedWhisper wrote:
It was an exaggeration in an attempt to be humorous. My point is that Fox News is no more a cult than any other media organization, and that such insinuations are inherently ignorant.

People who watch Fox "News" tend to be much more cultish than people who watch normal news programming. The observation that Fox "News" viewers tend to be cultish is based prima facie upon observation rather than ignorance.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2012, 4:41 pm

De Nile is a river in Egypt.

One thing that all cults have in common is that cult members deny being a part of a cult.

You can tell that Fox "News" is a cult, because Fox "News" viewers are very much in denial.